Site Admin

Thunder Sign Catcher ... 1-19

Post by PigOut » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 am

Thunder Website -
http://thunderprofastpitch.com/news/?id=9404

THUNDER SIGN FREE AGENT CATCHER TO CONTRACT

Former Bandit and Texas star to catch in ‘09

January 19, 2009

ROCKFORD – The Rockford Thunder has signed free agent catcher Megan Willis, team General Manager Aaron M. Moore announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

“I am so grateful that the Thunder gave me another chance to get out on the field and compete with the best ball players around,” exclaimed Willis! “It will be so much fun getting behind the plate for Cat again, we had such a unique relationship and I hope we can do what we did at Texas all over again!”

Willis, 23, played her rookie season with the Chicago Bandits. While with the Bandits, Willis batted just .169 on the season, collecting 13 hits in 77 at-bats. She drove in six runs on the season and drove in five more. Behind the plate Willis was outstanding all season long and was the battery mate for Jennie Finch. She helped Finch to a 7-2 record and miniscule 0.11 ERA on the season.

“We’re very excited to add a person and player like Megan to our 2009 roster,” stated Moore. “She’s brilliant behind the plate and she has an outstanding reputation for throwing out runners and controlling the game.”

“Bringing in a free agent of Megan’s ability is big for the Thunder and her relationship with Cat will be a big key to our success this season.”

The University of Texas graduate currently resides in Tampa, Fla. with her husband and Cincinnati Reds pitcher Sam LeClure. Willis and LeClure were married in Austin, Texas back on October 10, 2008.

The Thunder traded for Willis during the off season in 2008, but was unable to sign her at the time.

“I can't wait to report to Rockford,” Willis added. "It will be exciting to get up there to start practicing together and working towards a championship!”

The signing of Willis leaves the current Thunder roster at nine players. She joins infielders Lindsay Gardner, Jamie Davison and Chelsea Spencer; outfield Shanna Diller and pitchers Cat Osterman, Megan Brown, Cassidy Scoggins and Allison Kime.
Bacon & Eggs ..... A days work for a Chicken; a life sentence for a Hog!

Return to “NPF”