Rather be a Baseball Game

The Appalachian League (ApL) forum
BluefieldOriolesFan
Site Admin

Rather be a Baseball Game

Post by BluefieldOriolesFan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:19 pm

Sitting here with some decent college football games on the TV but I am bored. Would much rather be at a Bluefield Orioles game. Nothing is great as going to a baseball game. Be it the rookie league Orioles or the MLB Baltimore Orioles, there is not a greater place to be.

charliec107
Site Admin

Post by charliec107 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:42 am

I 100% agree. Baseball is just so relaxing to watch. The best part about baseball is you can go spur of the moment. Every other sport you have to buy in advance becuase it is so expensive. I went to a Washington Caps game $35, upper level. In Baltimore, $15 right field bleachers. Sometimes I see the Nats, $3! Not too big of a fan of the Nats, but baseball is baseball.

I am also an O's fan, and this summer I am going to try to visit all of the minor league teams since they are all so close.

How is Bluefield? Pictures of the park I have seen look really nice. Are there cheap motels to stay in Bluefield? Any cool local places to eat? Bluefield is the one I am most excited about. It must be cool seeing the future O's first stop on their way.

BluefieldOriolesFan
Site Admin

Rather be at A baseball game

Post by BluefieldOriolesFan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:37 pm

There is a Comfort Inn that is usually around $65.00 that is pretty nice. There is a great old place called the the Mayflower to eat. It has good seafood. The park can't be beat. $3.50 for Adults, $1.00 for kids. 6 and under for free. Has great hot dogs. We are season ticket holders and go quite a bit. My kids are members of the Baltimore Orioles Dugout club. They get in free at 10 games and we get in for $5.00. Set in upper LF. can't complain.

heavesrock
Site Admin

Post by heavesrock » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:17 am

I agree 100% also. While most of my posts on here are in the basketball forum, my heart truly lies with baseball. Usually at some point in the day I find myself wishing I was in Arizona watching the fall league games. And while the major league teams where I live are hard to find tickets for and very expensive, you can get a minor league front row ticket for $11. Or you can seat in the outfield or grass area(I generally stay away from the grass because it is mostly little kids who just run around and are annoying) for like $1-$5. You can't beat that!
Vermont Frost Heaves fan site: http://freewebs.com/frostheavesfans

Frost Heaves Forum: http://frostheaves.proboards.com

charliec107
Site Admin

Post by charliec107 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:15 am

Baseball is so engrained in American culture. When you have been a fan since you can remember, you realize how special it is to go to a game. A have been to 3 of the big 4 sports, but seeing baseball gives me a good feeling. Even MiLB gives me a feeling that NHL or NBA can't give me. I don't think the NFL would give me the same feeling; the crowd does not seem as mellow.

Baseball is special because almost every area of the country has history with a team, especially if it is affiliated since it is less likely to fold or move(i.e. Bluefield - almost 60 years with the O's). It seems the football and basketball teams (and to a lesser extent, hockey) at that level tend to fold more frequently. To quote Field of Dreams:

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again." (MAYBE BEST BASEBALL QUOTE EVER).

I live in a great area for pro baseball. Odds are on any given night one of the teams (Baltimore, Bowie-AA, Frederick-A, or Washington) will be home. The order in parantheses is my preference. In a good week during the summer I can see 4 games.

Right now I am just counting down time until the season opens again. Everyone is 0-0 and the Orioles will have just as much chance as everyone else.

Return to “ApL”