crystal palace baltimore

The United Soccer League Pro (USL PRO) forum
leecpfc
Site Admin

crystal palace baltimore

Post by leecpfc » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:52 pm

hi guys

im a crystal palace fc supporter (the english team) and wondered what you guys think of us attempting to tap into the us market?? do you think we will benefit much from it?? what is the team like? would it be worth my while coming over to see them play? do you think it will benefit the us league with us sending over some of our players to play there??

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:22 pm

[quote=""leecpfc""]hi guys

im a crystal palace fc supporter (the english team) and wondered what you guys think of us attempting to tap into the us market?? do you think we will benefit much from it?? what is the team like? would it be worth my while coming over to see them play? do you think it will benefit the us league with us sending over some of our players to play there??[/quote]

Greetings!

I live in Baltimore where the side is based. I think until they play in the second division here (known as USL-1), they won;t generate much interest. I think a good side would do well in this market but Crystal Palace is not bringing a high profile player like Becks here.

I think your side will benefit as the US has many players who have great potential for development.

I doubt that it would be worth a trip overseas to see them play but if you come, let me know so I can introduce myself. I plan on attending many of the matches.

It would help develop soccer here in the US. We need the help sadly.
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

leecpfc
Site Admin

Post by leecpfc » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 am

unfortunatley we dont have any major players like becks playing for our side in britain so we wont be able to send many over there, however one of the young lads we sent over recently is the son of an exengland striker (teddy sheringham??) and we are hoping he will turn out to be half as good as his dad!

i have checked out the cpfc baltimore website and see that they are offering season tickets for $100 how does that compare to other prices out there?

if you are going to be going to games id very much appreciate it if you could keep me up to date with how things are going, i could give you my email address and you could send me any information you get, or match reports etc??

Lee

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:26 am

$100 for a season ticket is a pretty good deal. It's about a third to a fifth of what an MLS season ticket goes for (depending on team and location in the stadium).

leecpfc
Site Admin

Post by leecpfc » Sat May 05, 2007 10:42 am

i see the team lost 4-0 to cleveland city stars this week, are the stars a professional club compared the palace's not being? how about the crowd, is 500 good for the first ever game? i guess crowds will increase over time as the locals get more used to the idea of a soccer team??

mikeyratt
Site Admin

Post by mikeyratt » Sun May 06, 2007 8:31 am

ugh less then 500 last night and 250ish at tonights game... Palace need to aggressively market, those numbers arent even good enough to field an average PDL side.

leecpfc
Site Admin

Post by leecpfc » Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 pm

[quote=""mikeyratt""]ugh less then 500 last night and 250ish at tonights game... Palace need to aggressively market, those numbers arent even good enough to field an average PDL side.[/quote]

is it purely a first season thing, not really been promoted enough or is there a lack of interest in the area as a whole? do you think things will improve with time or is the team just gonna die on its ass?
hey there, wanna come talk about english, and european soccer?? why not visit http://www.footballfrenzy.co.uk??

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Wed May 09, 2007 5:03 pm

[quote=""leecpfc""]is it purely a first season thing, not really been promoted enough or is there a lack of interest in the area as a whole? do you think things will improve with time or is the team just gonna die on its ass?[/quote]

Well, the Baltimore area has had 2nd division teams before and haven't been well supported. Contract this with a MLS side playing with good attendance 40 miles down the road in Washington, DC.

There has been little marketing of the side up until now. They need to change that at once.

I think the interest is there but fans don't know about the team.
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu May 10, 2007 12:23 am

Hi Bomp. its the shelts here from the other board. Good to see you hold Joe Newman in the same regard as I.

Irregardless. One of the problems I can see is Baltimore considers itself a major league city. The Ravens, the Orioles make a mindset of first class. Even though DC united is close I just don't think the Baltimore area will rally around the team that is a 3rd division side.

I think the worse mistake would be to go to USL1. Thats a money losing proposition. Bomp is right, CPBaltimore need to start marketing the team asap, if nothing else the same hardcore supporters of soccer would come out to see it. Baltimore supports indoor soccer very well so they are out there.

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Thu May 10, 2007 8:25 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]Hi Bomp. its the shelts here from the other board. Good to see you hold Joe Newman in the same regard as I.

Irregardless. One of the problems I can see is Baltimore considers itself a major league city. The Ravens, the Orioles make a mindset of first class. Even though DC united is close I just don't think the Baltimore area will rally around the team that is a 3rd division side.

I think the worse mistake would be to go to USL1. Thats a money losing proposition. Bomp is right, CPBaltimore need to start marketing the team asap, if nothing else the same hardcore supporters of soccer would come out to see it. Baltimore supports indoor soccer very well so they are out there.[/quote]

Hi Paul:

I think this proves that you and I have too much time on our hands. ;)

You know Paul I do like Newman's hairpiece though. I'd get the same exact one (If I was bald) and wanted to look like an idiot. :D

DC United does NO marketing in Baltimore which I think is a mistake. The southern suburbs have a lot of soccer interest.

I've seen nothing from Crystal Palace here.

Some teams make money in USL-1. It would depend on the lease and other factors

Return to “USL PRO”