USL / MLS Partnership Growth

The United Soccer League Pro (USL PRO) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

USL / MLS Partnership Growth

Post by Pounder » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:52 pm

So, as "Galaxy II" entered the league this year, Red Bulls have announced a team for next year, and apparently Seattle has announced and will play games in Starfire in suburban Tukwila. Last week, Vancouver announced a team to play in suburban New Westminster.

Portland hasn't officially announced, but Merritt Paulson acts like he already announced it on Twitter and this hit the news Friday:

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index ... towar.html

Now, I thought the Timbers might locate this team in Eugene. Old Civic Stadium in Eugene is in the process of, perhaps, approving a renovation of the old baseball stadium for soccer dependent on a couple contingencies. The noise I hear from the underground suggests (1) the contingencies may be bypassed in a surprising manner, and (2) they may host their own USL PRO team rather than partner with the Timbers.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:38 am

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:20 am

And FC Montreal, Real Monarchs, WFC2 and TFC2.

Seriously, I think we could see either the return of USL-1 and USL-2, or perhaps the teams which aren't owned/operated by MLS teams could go NASL...
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:29 am

[quote=""Minor League Man""]Seriously, I think we could see either the return of USL-1 and USL-2, or perhaps the teams which aren't owned/operated by MLS teams could go NASL...[/quote]

Not given the resentment over the split in 2010 lingers. And the fact some of those teams would be hard pressed to afford to play at that higher level.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 am

Interesting issue coming up if an MLS strike occurs.

Example: Portland outright says they will sign 14 players to Timbers2. The obvious plan from there is to "loan" reserves from the first team to play games... and that really should happen, hopefully with more flexibility than I suspect will actually happen.

So, if there's an MLS strike, sign more players? Try to outright sign some of your MLS trialists? How ethical could that be?

It's really easy for me to believe that the whole issue of rushing NYCFC and bringing on Orlando NOW is all too conveniently tied to the end of the now-departed CBA... though, yes, $100 million for NYC speaks some volumes itself. I could say the same about a whole new bunch of these MLS/USL signings being prepared to be scabs... but I strongly suspect an attempt to do that will go very badly for MLS.

Return to “USL PRO”