USL Sale, Fallout

The USL First Division (USL-1) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

USL Sale, Fallout

Post by Pounder » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:52 am

Apparently, everyone is missing out on a real drama.

First, on Thursday, after some rumors that MLS had considered buying USL, an organization called NuRock Soccer Holdings (running a PDL team) buys USL from Nike.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/359940.html

Possible initial fallout includes...

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/socce ... 05322.html

Then boom goes the dynamite.

http://railhawksreport.blogspot.com/200 ... -sale.html

Forms of the "TOA" announcement end up on the websites of most of the potential rebels. Duly note that there's a "large market v small market" theme to the rebellion.

The sale proves something of a "the more things change, the more they stay the same" character. http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/361241.html

Very interesting blog speculation...

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/us ... power/5832

More stuff from the Carolina owner... http://www.indyweekblogs.com/sports/200 ... ew-league/

So, put it this way.

Tight-posteriored league poobahs vs delusional owners. Any winners? History says no. Opportunities? Probably, but not as much as we think. Burning question: if Vancouver is involved with the TOA, where are they putting their team after the Whitecaps go MLS, will it be WEST of Vancouver coughvictoriacough, and will the other owners in TOA approve the extra travel?

Either an exciting negotiation, or one fine mess.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm glad you pointed this out. It appears that the battle lines are clearly drawn. I wonder if Nurock completely knew what they were getting into?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:50 am

Update time... without links for the moment.

The Team Owners Association announced their intent to form, wouldn't you know it... the North American Soccer League. Sounds familiar.

The intention to form coincided with a declaration that they have filed sanctioning papers with US Soccer. US Soccer must approve the application to give the league legitimacy. This has not happened yet, though the process has been in play only so long.

Things really took hold when Tampa Bay Rowdies and Crystal Palace Baltimore, both teams slated to join USL-1 next year, flipped and decided to join NASL. This was announced the Friday prior to Thanksgiving.

Just today, Rochester declared that they've switched to NASL.

Many think that, with these three teams flipped, that the NASL has received their sanction, otherwise these jumps would not have happened. Obviously, nothing has been announced yet.

Others are spreading rumors that USSF is declining to sanction the new league. On what basis, well, we have none for now. One thing to note- Nike sold the league to NuRock, and they also sponsor US Soccer.

The whisper I've heard (Portland FO, second hand, trusty source) says that all will be resolved one way or another in the next couple weeks.

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:46 am

I get the sense this will end with the rest of USL1 moving to the NASL, while USL continues to administer the rest of the pyramid.

But if it doesn't, I will be looking forward to the NASL-USL1 games in the US Open Cup. :)

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:39 pm

I think that, if NASL gets their sanction (not a sitter by any means, especially per one latest rumor), then the remaining USL-1 teams either jump to NASL or drop into what has been USL-2.

Or, in the case of the supposed FC New York, fade away altogether. That's another story. They've shown no signs of life since announcing their intent to join USL-1 back in April.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Charleston Battery is moving DOWN to USL2?? Big double thumbs down. Sucks because their stadium is the best small soccer stadium in the southeast. Not driving 4 hours to catch USL2-level soccer.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

ca
Site Admin

sanctioning ...

Post by ca » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 pm

why is this such a big deal , go as an indy !

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Unsanctioned, then no US Open Cup.

Your players are blacklisted from playing for any national team. (Even USL has players who have come out and eventually made USA, AND there are nationals in other countries playing in USL)

Simply stated, it would be a disaster for a league that says it wants to spend a little more money on players.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:23 pm

The United States and Canada is too large a mass of land to have one "AAA" level minor league right now. It would be better to have regional "AAA" leagues all sanctioned by US Soccer (and Canada Soccer). So what if they don't have a national playoff? We already have one with the U.S. Cup.
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.

D.Skype
Site Admin

USL Sale Fallout

Post by D.Skype » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:49 am

hey donovanfan - Im finally back in my house in Texas so I have High Speed Internet now - so Ill upload that patch on bigUpload today for you...and we can get to work on the rest of the USL and such...

Actually - could you make the MLS All-star kits? I would like to see if I could make an All-Star game in the season?

Return to “USL-1”