Bring the NFLE home!

The National Football League Europe (NFLE) forum
logoguru
Site Admin

Bring the NFLE home!

Post by logoguru » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Why don't they just give this up and recreate the World League!?! Wasn't it pretty much working just as well and this way I could go to a game!
________
Prilosec lawsuites
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fez
Site Admin

WLAF Jr.

Post by Fez » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Believe me, I'd love it, but WLAF lost a TON of money and the NFL owners just aren't interested. It was created in part to combat any new "USFL" start ups, and those just haven't materialized. That said, I'd love to see it, but good luck.
Subscribe to Dayton Pro Sports Daily News: http://paper.li/f-1313642591

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:19 pm

I assume they're losing a lot of money now in operations costs just due to the Euro v the weak dollar.

What Im saying is, if its losing money and had lost money as the WLAF I think a lot of us would like to see the old WLAF(....with an asian division as well). The Surge owned their own plane and almost expanded Hornet Stadium with their own money (which I think they did as the Gold Miners in the CFL), so it couldnt have been that much of a loser. Plus the Riders never even got to play in the AlamoDome, which was basically built for them (The Vikings were never coming). I just dont think they gave it much of a chance to buil and succeed...expansion to Canton, Ohio? WTF!?! Mid markets like Birmingham loved it. Montreal not so much. Done right I think its totally plausible, especially if the league were to not own the teams as they do now.
________
iLIKEhotGAMES cam
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micro67
Site Admin

American Football in Asia

Post by Micro67 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:37 am

I would love to see some football here (Vietnam)too, but it probably just won't fly. Soccer is king here and even the best stadiums would have to be refitted completely. There isn't any grass-roots support to speak of either -- kids don't play and even NFL playoff games barely get enough of a crowd not to be moved to the back corner of a bar.
http://www.mekongesl.com - sporting information from Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos

OneBetter
Site Admin

Post by OneBetter » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:32 am

[quote=""logoguru""]Why don't they just give this up and recreate the World League!?! Wasn't it pretty much working just as well and this way I could go to a game![/quote]

I'd second that motion. It really can't even be called NFL Europa or Europe any more. It's just all German teams + Amsterdam. I think the U.S. is willing to embrace a "AAA" football league if done right. I agree that probably local ownership groups after a few years (at most) of league ownership would be best. I just don't think they picked the best markets the first time around. I'd go for big time college football towns that are no where near NFL teams. Continue to operate it as a Spring/Summer league so that it doesn't have to compete w/ NFL and big time college football for fans, and so that top prospects can play with the teams. Wouldn't you go see one of these teams if their top draft picks played with the teams before training camp?

The NFLE has slowly failed in all European countries except two. IF the NFL truly wants to expand internationally, why don't they put a few of these AAA teams in markets that have a chance? How about Mexico City? They go crazy for American football!!! Remember when they drew over 100,000 fans for an NFL regular season game?

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:49 am

Mexico City could support TWO football teams in the same stadium. Belee dat.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:54 am

[quote=""OneBetter""]I'd second that motion. It really can't even be called NFL Europa or Europe any more. It's just all German teams + Amsterdam. I think the U.S. is willing to embrace a "AAA" football league if done right. I agree that probably local ownership groups after a few years (at most) of league ownership would be best. I just don't think they picked the best markets the first time around. I'd go for big time college football towns that are no where near NFL teams. Continue to operate it as a Spring/Summer league so that it doesn't have to compete w/ NFL and big time college football for fans, and so that top prospects can play with the teams. Wouldn't you go see one of these teams if their top draft picks played with the teams before training camp?

The NFLE has slowly failed in all European countries except two. IF the NFL truly wants to expand internationally, why don't they put a few of these AAA teams in markets that have a chance? How about Mexico City? They go crazy for American football!!! Remember when they drew over 100,000 fans for an NFL regular season game?[/quote]

The NFL already has AAA football. It's called Division I (Bowl Subdivision).

Europa is tool to give the league some exposure to the Euros. (and its not like them being concentrated in Germany hurts them badly with the minimal inter-European travel barriers) From a developmental perspective, Europa helps pick up a couple of players who might otherwise "fall through the crack".
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:38 am

[quote=""rams80""]The NFL already has AAA football. It's called Division I (Bowl Subdivision).

Europa is tool to give the league some exposure to the Euros. (and its not like them being concentrated in Germany hurts them badly with the minimal inter-European travel barriers) From a developmental perspective, Europa helps pick up a couple of players who might otherwise "fall through the crack".[/quote]

I've often thought that NFL Europa should be folded. I enjoy watching the games but it seems to be a money losing situation for the NFL. What would make more sense is if the NFL strengthened its ties with the CFL and started allocating players up here instead.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:34 pm

Are people more fans of logos or players? (Thank Jim Boutin for couching that question that way)

It's a question worth asking. I grew up a Portland Trail Blazer fan and a Portland Timbers fan. I had to duck being a Blazer fan in the recent "Jail Blazer" years... and I went to my first game in about 5 years around New Years. BTW, people sense a revival in Portland, and while the Blazers didn't make the playoffs, attendance was up by over 1,000 a game.

The Timbers, now a third organization in a third league in what passes for soccer tenure, draws relatively OK for USL-1. Being part of Timbers Army USUALLY means being in contact with players on a regular basis, even if the management tries to de-emphasize the contacts because they fear we're out of control.

The Timbers fans know that players aren't going to sign here if we're going to keep them from signing in MLS. That generally hasn't been a problem, even though the Timbers usually get someone on loan from MLS during any given season. Generally, the roster stays intact.

Conclusion: fans follow teams, but RELATE to players.

Reason I bring this up: NFL Europe is experimental, plays to AMERICAN residents in Europe for the most part (who are on relatively short overseas military tours), and therefore can afford to be developmental. The Canadian league has been around, what, longer than the NFL? I don't think it can be developmental, and I don't think most Canadian fans want to see it be that for reasons mentioned above.

OneBetter
Site Admin

Post by OneBetter » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Are people more fans of logos or players? (Thank Jim Boutin for couching that question that way)

It's a question worth asking. I grew up a Portland Trail Blazer fan and a Portland Timbers fan. I had to duck being a Blazer fan in the recent "Jail Blazer" years... and I went to my first game in about 5 years around New Years. BTW, people sense a revival in Portland, and while the Blazers didn't make the playoffs, attendance was up by over 1,000 a game.

The Timbers, now a third organization in a third league in what passes for soccer tenure, draws relatively OK for USL-1. Being part of Timbers Army USUALLY means being in contact with players on a regular basis, even if the management tries to de-emphasize the contacts because they fear we're out of control.

The Timbers fans know that players aren't going to sign here if we're going to keep them from signing in MLS. That generally hasn't been a problem, even though the Timbers usually get someone on loan from MLS during any given season. Generally, the roster stays intact.

Conclusion: fans follow teams, but RELATE to players.

Reason I bring this up: NFL Europe is experimental, plays to AMERICAN residents in Europe for the most part (who are on relatively short overseas military tours), and therefore can afford to be developmental. The Canadian league has been around, what, longer than the NFL? I don't think it can be developmental, and I don't think most Canadian fans want to see it be that for reasons mentioned above.[/quote]

I definitely agree with you on the majority of the fan base in NFL Europa being overseas US military personnel. That's why it makes sense that the teams have basically all flocked to Germany. So what if one or two overseas players fall through the cracks if Europa goes away. It's losing tons of money and it doesn't have an established fan base.

Take the leage back to North America. Put teams in AAA U.S. markets and major Mexican markets. You can still help out the foreign players if that's a huge issue by reserving 3 slots on each team for international players.

Here's a quick list of potential markets:

Salt Lake City, UT
Fresno, CA
Las Vegas, NV
Portland, OR
Mobile or Huntsville, AL
Memphis, TN
San Antonio, TX
Oklahoma City, OK
Quad Cities, IA
Raleigh or Greensboro, NC
Columbus, OH
Los Angeles, CA (if they don't get an NFL team soon)
El Paso, TX
Milwaukee, WI
Baton Rouge, LA
Lincoln, NE
Mexico City, Mexico
Monterrey, Mexico

Return to “NFLE”