DC United show resilience, becoming first team to win despite taking one shot

The Major League Soccer (MLS) forum
Fran
Site Admin

DC United show resilience, becoming first team to win despite taking one shot

Post by Fran » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Interesting story, I doubt it has happened much in any other leagues too.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... ign=Unpaid

“All you need is one chance.”

It’s a saying that’s carved deeply into the book of global sports clichés, one barked out by coaches during pre-game pep talks and post-game press conferences. It’s very rarely true.

Tonight, for the first time in Major League Soccer history, that cliché came to life.

Supporters’ Shield leaders D.C. United strode into Stade Saputo and topped the Montreal Impact 1-0, delivering the sort of gritty, character-filled performance that’s quickly become their trademark this year. That fact, on its own, isn’t particularly surprising. It was the way they did it, though, that was a bit strange. They only took one shot.

Not one shot on goal but one shot in total. Nobody in league history had ever done that; Kansas City actually managed to win a game without taking a single shot in 1997, but their victory came in a shootout.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:32 pm

One man's resilience is another's "damn, the Eastern Conference sucks."
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:28 pm

[quote=""Fran""]Interesting story, I doubt it has happened much in any other leagues too.[/quote]

I've seen it happen a few times in small college and high school games. Team A just sits there taking shot after shot then Team B gets lucky with a single counter attack.

Return to “MLS”