2nd New York MLS Franchise for 2013, Could it be the return of the COSMOS?

The Major League Soccer (MLS) forum
Panthers14
Site Admin

2nd New York MLS Franchise for 2013, Could it be the return of the COSMOS?

Post by Panthers14 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:05 am

MLS Commish, Garber, recently stated that a push is on for a second New York MLS Franchise for as early as 2013. He stated that he was in talks with NY Mets Owners and there were other potential owners who would bring in the expansion franchise to play in the city. Could this be the rumored return of the New York Cosmos? Before you think that I am crazy, the MLS has returned to soccer roots in this country with the return of such franchises as: San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders, Vancouver White Caps, Portland Timbers, Montreal Impact; and a return to soccer hotbeds like Dallas, Philadelphia; as well as mention of a return to St. Louis and South Florida. Note: the Miami F.C. Blues in the USL-second division / NASL rebirth will move to Fort Lauderdale and be renamed the Strikers for next season. There is talk that the MLS is looking again at the Miami area; could it be the rebirth of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers? Think I am crazy. Consider this, there has always been talk of a second Chicago Franchise coming in someday. Could we see a return of the Chicago Sting. Now you must be thinking that I am dreaming, but so too is the MLS with a return of all of those legendary NASL Franchises. Hey, branding is the name of the game and $$$$$$$$ :D

NWsportsfan
Site Admin

Post by NWsportsfan » Tue May 11, 2010 7:06 am

The odds of New York team number two being called the Cosmos is iffy at best. Remember, the idea of a second team in NY has been kicked around since the MetroStars were sold to Red Bull at least. Commissioner Garber has said before that he prefers newer names for teams (Seattle fans had to send in 1000's of write-ins to get the team named Sounders FC for example.) Though, at the time the MetroStars were sold, Garber also said he would like the second team to take on MetroStars as its name.

CorA
Site Admin

Post by CorA » Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 pm

I am a Chicago Fire fan and I can tell you that the Chicago market is not ready for a 2nd team. The Fire do not consistently draw enough fans to games. I say this because they drew over 20,000 (a sell-out) in opening night, but only about 12,000 in their second game and about 14,000 in their third home game. The Fire's fan base has been growing rapidly and attendance has risen over the years. I think that soon TOYOTA PARK will need to be partly renovated to hold more fans, looking at the playoff games and some other games that could hold more. Maybe in a few years the MLS could look at another Chicago team

ABARedWhiteBlue
Site Admin

Post by ABARedWhiteBlue » Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 pm

With all due respect to the fans of the old NASL Strikers, Diplomats, etc. - the Cosmos name is an iconic brand name with a distinguished legacy; they didn't even need NY as part of their name.

If/When there is a second team here in the tri-state area, the best bet would be to go out and forge a new and distinct name and lineage. If they market correctly, the name will be successful in it's own right; if not, it won't matter WHAT they call themselves.
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K" ;)
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we :rolleyes: )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity

RevolutionX
Site Admin

Cosmos are back.

Post by RevolutionX » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 pm

The NY Cosmos have reformed. http://www.nycosmos.com. Pele' is the honorary team president and they have events for fans already planned. Now they just need a league.

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 pm

They need a lot more than that. Unfortunately, this looks like it is going to happen. They don't have any affiliation with MLS. Right now they're a wish and a prayer. They would need a stadium somewhere in NYC, good luck. If the Jets couldn't get it done, I doubt anyone will rollover and let an MLS team build. As for the name, MetroStars is 1000000 x's better than Cosmos. I can just see it now - Cosmos v Galaxy. Who will win. One is the entire Cosmos, the other is an entire Galaxy. Close call.
________
Thc finder
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

RevolutionX
Site Admin

Post by RevolutionX » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:46 am

What about Icahn Stadium, former Downing Stadium, on Randalls Island for now. I think its equipt for soccer.

RevolutionX
Site Admin

Post by RevolutionX » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:47 am

What about Icahn Stadium, former Downing Stadium, on Randalls Island for now. I think its equipt for soccer. That would take care of the stadium until a facility could be built.

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Icahn only seats at best 5,000 people, and the stands are only on one side of the field. Also, the track is one of only 4 in the US that is certified for international competition, so I'm sure that there would be a lot of complaints if it was remodeled to make it a soccer stadium.

Downing Stadium, which sat about 20,000, was a U shaped stadium that was torn down in 2002.

Dave

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 am

The state of the USL Pro and NASL is such that both could kill the other and both could also die trying. LA was interesting because one team is marketed as a traditional MLS team and one was marketed towards the Hispanic community. I doubt any Div 2 team can survive against MLS competition. The Boston Bulldogs and the Colorado Foxes are a good blueprint of teams who didn't make it vs MLS opposition.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Return to “MLS”