2nd New York MLS Franchise for 2013, Could it be the return of the COSMOS?

The Major League Soccer (MLS) forum
Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:40 pm

[quote=""trueballer""]This is wonderful. I'm glad to see the New York Cosmos are back on track to join the MLS again. [/quote]

When were they in MLS before?

Also, they're not really on track. They've been derailed more than an HO train set in the back of a Chrysler on a cobblestone street.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 pm

[quote=""trueballer""]This is wonderful. I'm glad to see the New York Cosmos are back on track to join the MLS again. The club has such rich history since so many legends from back in the day wanted to help the U.S. grow in sport of soccer. Not to mention the rivalry that will occur when the New York Red Bulls play the Cosmos. What a spark of life that will be. I'm sure people in New York will rejoice in the rivalry, and the derby games.

Also, did anyone see the arrival of Lee Young Pyo, the former Tottenham and South Korean left back, to the Vancouver White Caps? Pretty awesome. There will definitely be more Koreans watching the sport in America now.[/quote]

Because Hong Myung Bo didn't capture Korean hearts... in LA?

You realize that what makes up the Cosmos organization have bungled and stumbled their way into irrelevance. Red Bulls may yet parlay Thierry Henry into something by comparison.

More important, MLS made a show of dropping into Orlando this last week to talk expansion. It might be a show designed to wake up potential NY investors, but I'm not sure there are any right now.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:55 am

[quote=""Pounder""]Because Hong Myung Bo didn't capture Korean hearts... in LA?

You realize that what makes up the Cosmos organization have bungled and stumbled their way into irrelevance. Red Bulls may yet parlay Thierry Henry into something by comparison.

More important, MLS made a show of dropping into Orlando this last week to talk expansion. It might be a show designed to wake up potential NY investors, but I'm not sure there are any right now.[/quote]

I am still not hot on the idea of MLS in Orlando. I honestly think they would be better off proving themselves in NASL for 3-4 seasons and then re-evaluating their situation.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:59 pm

Orlando isn't in the NASL.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:14 pm

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Orlando isn't in the NASL.[/quote]

Heh... I had to look.

I bet Wellington knows very well Orlando is in USL PRO.

The soccer mind has this notion that promotion and relegation are part and parcel... and therefore Orlando must move up to prove themselves in a more continental league (sort of).

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:42 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]The soccer mind has this notion that promotion and relegation are part and parcel... and therefore Orlando must move up to prove themselves in a more continental league (sort of).[/quote]

Promotion and relegation between USL Pro and the NASL 2.0 would make a lot of sense. Too bad the owners of the two leagues hate each other. Maybe US Soccer (aka the dark side of the force) could impose it's will and bring order to the galaxy.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 pm

[quote=""nksports""]Promotion and relegation between USL Pro and the NASL 2.0 would make a lot of sense.[/quote]

I'm guessing the whole "we're at this level because we can't afford to be at the next one" thing is not one of the reasons it would make a lot of sense.

Orlando obviously could afford a Division II budget. Rochester might be able to (surely would have - and did - back in their heyday). Not a lot of those other Division III teams could, which is why they're in Division III in the first place. Had Harrisburg beaten Orlando in the USL Pro final last year, they'd move up in the scenario you describe, but they'd be hard pressed to be competitive at the next level given their financial constraints. Trying could cause long-term harm to their entire program.

If recent history shows us anything, it's that you can move up or down a level in this country if you're financially able to do so. Which, given the wide disparity between budgets and levels of investment, even between teams in the same league, is probably the way to go.

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Sat May 26, 2012 6:12 pm

[quote=""wellington""]I am still not hot on the idea of MLS in Orlando. I honestly think they would be better off proving themselves in NASL for 3-4 seasons and then re-evaluating their situation.[/quote]There's somethin' about the MLS and puttin' teams in Florida that just doesn't coexist. The only 2 teams to EVER go defunct (Miami Fusion & Tampa Bay Mutiny) only lasted 3 and 5 years, respectively...
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 pm

[quote=""Trish_lvs_Baltimore""]There's somethin' about the MLS and puttin' teams in Florida that just doesn't coexist. The only 2 teams to EVER go defunct (Miami Fusion & Tampa Bay Mutiny) only lasted 3 and 5 years, respectively...[/quote]

Four and six, actually, but their demise had less to do with the state they were in and more with ownership, or a lack thereof.

Dallas was on the chopping block in that whole scenario, too. If they'd gotten rid of the (then) Burn in 2002, would you say the same thing about Texas?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon May 28, 2012 6:43 am

Minnesota's talking about MLS for the Vikings' approved near-billion-dollar stadium.

Orlando, mmm hmmm.

Las Vegas: UNLV is on track for a $2 billion project that includes a large addition to on-campus housing, a renovation of Thomas & Mack, and a domed stadium for football and, we're told, a shot at MLS.

Something will happen somewhere. Actually, any of these three? Doubtful. San Antonio is making an impression in NASL... just saying.

Return to “MLS”