RGIII and Collin Kaepernick

The Canadian Football League (CFL) forum
fonzob1
Site Admin

Post by fonzob1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:23 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Probably, given Canadians of color aren't being murdered in the streets in nearly the same numbers up there as down here.

I mean, you understand the protests, right? Right? You're not just superficially looking at it from the perspective of "my flag, my song, that's all that matters," right?[/quote]

Do you know what the statistics are up there and down here? How many people of color are killed by law enforcement in America each year?

Superficial... *scoff*
Last edited by fonzob1 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:13 am

Go **** yourself.

Police killed 1,129 people in the United States in 2017. That's just the ones we know of. And despite being only 13% of the population, African-Americans made up 25% of those killed.

Another 228 (20%) were Hispanic. Combining other races, we're talking about 550 (69 were of unknown race) people of color killed by police in the US in 2017.

Canada has between 15-25 police killings per year in a population a tenth of ours. Just our people of color killed by police are more than twenty times their rate of total killings by police.

Superficial that, idiot.

But Kaepernick's protest (and that of other NFL players) is and has always been about more than that. He laid it out succinctly within days of it becoming a "thing." Yet the message has been twisted by whites like yourself who make it all about disrespecting the flag and/or the military or biting the hand that feeds "these greedy athletes" who apparently don't know how good they have it because they're obviously not getting killed.

They're standing up (or kneeling for) those who have no voice. Who have no platform. The people who are overlooked and disregarded by whites like yourself who make the protests a punchline or a point of contention.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

fonzob1
Site Admin

Post by fonzob1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:53 am

[quote=""Sam Hill""]Go **** yourself.

Police killed 1,129 people in the United States in 2017. That's just the ones we know of. And despite being only 13% of the population, African-Americans made up 25% of those killed.

Another 228 (20%) were Hispanic. Combining other races, we're talking about 550 (69 were of unknown race) people of color killed by police in the US in 2017.

Canada has between 15-25 police killings per year in a population a tenth of ours. Just our people of color killed by police are more than twenty times their rate of total killings by police.

Superficial that, idiot.

But Kaepernick's protest (and that of other NFL players) is and has always been about more than that. He laid it out succinctly within days of it becoming a "thing." Yet the message has been twisted by whites like yourself who make it all about disrespecting the flag and/or the military or biting the hand that feeds "these greedy athletes" who apparently don't know how good they have it because they're obviously not getting killed.

They're standing up (or kneeling for) those who have no voice. Who have no platform. The people who are overlooked and disregarded by whites like yourself who make the protests a punchline or a point of contention.[/quote]

I get that the deaths are disproportionate based on the percentages of races in the United States, but it's not as though law enforcement isn't killing white people as well. Law enforcement should be held more accountable when they use excessive force against anyone, but the problem in general is not the epidemic some claim it to be. An exorbitant amount more people died from the flu last year than at the hands of law enforcement.

And there is nothing "superficial" about refusing to stand for the anthem. It's no different than burning a flag as a form of protest. The reality, despite what Kaepernick or anyone else says, is that it represents pissing on the nation as a whole. If you burn a flag and say it's only protest of a single issue, and not a disrespect to the nation as a whole, then you lack the cognitive skills needed to comprehend what you're actually doing.
Last edited by fonzob1 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

FootbalFan
Site Admin

Re: RGIII and Collin Kaepernick

Post by FootbalFan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Hey guys,

From what I know, and I had such a discussion with my Canadian friends, the first reason why there are less people shootings in Canada is because the Law limits quite much the capacity to have a gun. More unarmed people leads to policemen and policewomen to be more cautious about pulling the trigger or not.

I understand that there are from time to time some racist events where black people are shot by a policeman or a policewoman. But these don't happen, let's politely say, each month as you may see in US. There have been scandals resulting from such shootings, but as they don't happen often, each time makes more noise in the media and police is on the heat.

Besides, I understand that many people in Montreal don't stand during their national anthem, as a protest against the conquest of the territory by England long ago, and the racism they are facing as they still speak French 260 years later. It's like lots of people don't consider them as citizens.

But in the end, if you want to prevent gun shootings, the first step is to limit the right to have a gun. Less guns means less chootings. Won't happen in USA and mass killings will keep going on. Nothing to be proud of.

Return to “CFL”