CFL's Expansion

The Canadian Football League (CFL) forum
SonicTemple
Site Admin

CFL's Expansion

Post by SonicTemple » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:41 am

Having survived with 8 teams since 2002's departure of Ottawa Renegades, it seems that the league is definitely in need of further expansion aside from that of Ottawa's push to start in 2013.

I think that the current crop of 8 teams covers the key cities in Canada but I do feel that maybe other cities could be added like Quebec City or even a second team in Toronto.

Let me know what you think?

[ATTACH]191[/ATTACH]
Check out: http://mathosfootballworld.webs.com
Last edited by SonicTemple on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:52 am

SonicTemple not likely in my opinion for a second Toronto CFL team. I live in Buffalo, New York that boarders Canada where 90 minutes from Toronto, Ontario so in Buffalo we get the Toronto tv and radio stations.

Toronto is big enough but football wise they need to take care of the Toronto Argos in my opinion and find them a new 25,000 to 30,000 seat stadium that fits the Argos needs better then the Rogers Centre that is just too big. Toronto also host one game in the Buffalo Bills Toronto series NFL. I just don't see Toronto fans wanting another CFL team besides the Toronto Argos. Plus the Hamilton Tiger Cats are close by.

I heard one day on the Toronto All-Sports Station Fan590 the radio show host talking about putting the Toronto Argos and Hamilton Tiger Cats together in a New York Giants and New York Jets NFL shared stadium set up as a idea the radio host was talking about to solve both CFL teams stadium situation up there. But I don't see the CFL putting a second CFL team in Toronto or really third CFL team when you factor in Hamilton Tiger Cats aren't that fare away from the city of Toronto.

As for Quebec City I don't know Quebec City I read is pretty busy with getting a new arena built up in Quebec City for a potential return of the Quebec Nordiques NHL hockey team. The canadien federal government just promised Quebec City 45% of the new arena cost. So I don't think Quebec City is likely in the CFL because it would require a new CFL type stadium and they have there hands full getting a new arena build for housing a potential return of the NHL for Quebec City and also the arena could be used possibly on a Quebec City potential Olympic Winter Games bid for 2020 I read. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Panthers14
Site Admin

Post by Panthers14 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:57 am

The Atlantic Schooners were a conditional Canadian Football League expansion team in 1984, and had plans to play out of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The team name was derived from a name-the-team contest in which "schooner" was the winning selection. The logo was a stylized "A" in the shape of a schooner that rode on four waves, each representing the four Atlantic provinces, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland. The Schooners folded before they played a single game because the owners of the team (led by J.I. Albrecht) couldn't secure the financing for a new stadium for the team. Since there was (and still is) no CFL-calibre stadium in Halifax the team had no choice but to fold. Since then there have been endless rumours of a stadium being built in the area and with it, a CFL team, although none has yet been built.Image
Last edited by Panthers14 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonicTemple
Site Admin

Moncton, Quebec City, Halifax and Ottawa!

Post by SonicTemple » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 am

Think Halifax, Moncton, Ottawa & Quebec City are in the running for expansion teams as far as I know according to news reports as well as of course!

Brings the league to 12 teams but compared to the NFL, there are limited cities without having to double up franchises. Of course the option of expanding into the USA is there although it did not work the last time so probably best not to go through with that again although Windsor, ON (Detroit's neighbour) could even be worth a shot!

Check out: http://mathosfootballworld.webs.com

logoguru
Site Admin

Post by logoguru » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 pm

I think they learned a lot from their US expansion. But I also think their due diligence is like molasses. Ottawa will be a good gauge for further expansion, remember it has failed twice before and if it's another failure then I wouldn't hold my breath for any more expansion any time son.
________
buy property in Pattaya
Last edited by logoguru on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 am

The only way I see the CFL going back with US expansion is to one city only in my opinion and that is Buffalo, New York if the NFL Buffalo Bills choose to vacate a good football market in Buffalo for greed. That would get the CFL to a even 10 teams and make a nice size league. Because Buffalo is a border city with alot of canadien content tv, radio and businesses that is really the only city that I could see that could potentially get the CFL and embrace it if the Buffalo Bills were to leave for potentially Los Angeles or something like that in my opinion.

As a Buffalo Bills fan if the NFL were to leave Buffalo I am done with the NFL and would root for a new Buffalo CFL or any new potential Buffalo professional football league franchise instead. I am rooting for anything Buffalo and if the NFL leaves Buffalo for greed like potentially the NFL might I am done until the NFL saw the error of there ways like Baltimore and Cleveland granting them new NFL franchises.

Like we do with the NHL and NLL both with alot of canadien players Buffalo gets it but places like Memphis, Portland or San Antonio forget it that equals failure in my opinion. I am not sure the rest of america gets the CFL and NLL in my opinion. And in that regard the NHL either from some of the west and the entire sunbelt in my opinion don't get. Phoenix Coyotes with 4,000 season tickets doesn't get it.

Oh and Sam Hill I watched the Buffalo Sabres vs Ottawa Senators preseason game tonight and Gary Bettman was on. He talked about Winnipeg and Quebec City as either potential NHL expansion cities or relocated teams he didn't say no anymore or fight it to much anymore. He talked about wanting the teams struggling to stay but he didn't rule out Winnipeg or Quebec City I told you that change is coming in the NHL. We in the east see it that all the sun belt expansion for the most part was a disaster for the NHL.

Face it the writing is on the wall for the Phoenix Coyotes it is failing as a NHL city and so is the sun belt. Moves are coming soon in my opinion. The NHL is not going to come out and flat out say it but listen to the tone from Gary Bettman he isn't fighting it anymore. Those that argue we get it in the sun belt cities come to Buffalo for a hockey game and I think you would change your tune. Buffalo is excited already for the NHL hockey season to start now that the weather is changing to fall. Buffalo gets it because we sellout and pack NHL games and hockey is part of out culture.

If the Buffalo Bills were to leave the CFL would be a option if the CFL is interested and if there is a Buffalo owner interested? Who knows about that but outside that in the US I just don't see CFL US expansion again other then the Buffalo factor with the potential uncertainty of the Buffalo Bills after Ralph Wilson.

If I had to pick between CFL or UFL I am taking the CFL for several reasons. One travel would be cheaper for Buffalo we could bus to half the CFL team games so the chances to turn a profit would be better. And two the CFL is way more stable as a league and fans go in bigger consistant numbers in my opinion. The Grey Cup is huge along with all the CFL history which is long. Buffalo would fit I would think from a CFL stand point of blue collar show up every week for games but who knows I have no idea what the CFL might be interested just a opinion. Let's Go Buffalo
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

Buffal00 Sports Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffal00 Sports Fan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:38 am

I wanna see the CFL in Buffalo!!!!!!

America
Site Admin

Post by America » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:05 am

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]I wanna see the CFL in Buffalo!!!!!![/quote]

I wanna see the CFL go to 11 man with 4 downs and merger with the UFL. :)

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:13 am

[quote=""America""]I wanna see the CFL go to 11 man with 4 downs and merger with the UFL. :) [/quote]

Why I want CFL in Buffalo if the Buffalo Bills NFL decide to leave. But I accept the CFL game the way it is. What right do we have to tell the CFL to change there great game. As a Buffalonian I would never tell the CFL go 11 man with 4 downs. That is disrespectiful to the CFL fans and there history in my opinion. As for the UFL let them make it on there own first. It would be a down grade for the CFL to merge with the UFL in my opinion.

The CFL draws fans and has tradition and is the major football league in canada. Why would the CFL want to merge with a second tier UFL when the CFL is major first tier in canada. If they decided to come to Buffalo they would be set with a even 10 CFL teams no reason to expand further into shakey football markets that don't understand or respect the CFL game and tradition like a Buffalo would.

I would never tell our neighbors of canada to change there game. I have watch the CFL for years ever since I was a little kid with Warren Moon and Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. The bottom line is the CFL is a great game the way it is and if Buffalo ever were to join the CFL I would accept the CFL with the 110 yard field and 3 downs with honor atleast I would have another pro football team in Buffalo in place of the Buffalo Bills NFL if they were to leave. That is the problem with CFL US expansion the first time. They don't get it the CFL is wonderful the way it is. Buffalo gets it because we had it in our living room homes on tv being a boarder city the rest of the US in my opinion doesn't get it. The CFL isn't changing there great game for you or the UFL there is no need for them to do that in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trish_lvs_Baltimore
Site Admin

Post by Trish_lvs_Baltimore » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:32 pm

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]I wanna see the CFL in Buffalo!!!!!![/quote]

I agree with this idea. With a record of 0-6, they're obviously not good enough for the NFL, so why not? LOL
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Founded 1908.
The First and Always The Finest

Return to “CFL”