Cfl 2009 - Noteworthy players

The Canadian Football League (CFL) forum
Irving Thomas
Site Admin

Cfl 2009 - Noteworthy players

Post by Irving Thomas » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 am

Hello!

I am about to watch the Cfl 2009 season, unfortunately i am based outside your continent (I am from Europe). I am not complaining about lack of tv coverage, thanks to streamers and the TSN on demand Cfl section I can watch enough Cfl action.
I am complaining about trhe lack of discussion on some of the players down in the Cfl.
I mean I read this board and all i can read is a view of a Cfl expansion south or lacking of Cfl action on Us network.
I would lik to ask you some help in getting to know better the teams, starting with the noteworthy players..
I wrote down some notes on a book, I focussed on QB positon as i think it's a very important spot in this league. Yes, I know linemen and both offensive and defensive backfield are extremely important, but my knowledge of Cfl players is not that deep.
So if anyone wants to join me in this season in talknig of the best performer, you are welcome..
I guess the starters QB should be:
British Columbia Lions Buck Pierce
Edmonton Eskimos Ricky Ray
Calgary Stampeders Henry Burris
Saskatchewan Roughriders Darian Durant (new starter)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers Stefan Lefors (new starter)
Hamilton Tigercats Kevin Glenn (was he acquired thru a trade?)
Toronto Argonauts Kerry Joseph
Montreal Alouettes Antony Calvillo (was he the offensive MVP last year?)

I know my posto is full of mistakes..forgive me..and please write down who are and where the best linemen plays..along with aothers noteworthy players..

ThanksA!

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:05 am

[quote=""Irving Thomas""]Hello!

I am about to watch the Cfl 2009 season, unfortunately i am based outside your continent (I am from Europe). I am not complaining about lack of tv coverage, thanks to streamers and the TSN on demand Cfl section I can watch enough Cfl action.
I am complaining about trhe lack of discussion on some of the players down in the Cfl.
I mean I read this board and all i can read is a view of a Cfl expansion south or lacking of Cfl action on Us network.
I would lik to ask you some help in getting to know better the teams, starting with the noteworthy players..
I wrote down some notes on a book, I focussed on QB positon as i think it's a very important spot in this league. Yes, I know linemen and both offensive and defensive backfield are extremely important, but my knowledge of Cfl players is not that deep.
So if anyone wants to join me in this season in talknig of the best performer, you are welcome..
I guess the starters QB should be:
British Columbia Lions Buck Pierce
Edmonton Eskimos Ricky Ray
Calgary Stampeders Henry Burris

I know my posto is full of mistakes..forgive me..and please write down who are and where the best linemen plays..along with aothers noteworthy players..

ThanksA![/quote]

Its great you've taken an interest in the CFL. The reason this board doesn't get the discussion that many other leagues do on here is simply there are dozens of different CFL boards. Since I doubt Paul wants me to advertise other boards on here PM me and I will send you the links.

As for who to keep an eye on this season, I am somewhat biased as I am a diehard Saskatchewan Roughriders fan and try and attend 4 or 5 games every year (making the two hour drive each way from Saskatoon). But here's who to watch:

BC Lions
Geroy Simon, slotback, is generally a good deep threat and is one of the better slots in the league.
Paris Jackson, wide receiver, is a preferred target of the Lions quarterbacking staff and is generally good for a TD or two each game.
Sherko Haji-Rasouli and Jason Jimenez are among the better Offensive Linemen in the league.
Aaron Hunt and Brent Johnson are among the better Defensive Linemen in the league.
Anton McKenzie, sadly left my Riders this off-season and is one of the top 3 Linebackers in the CFL.
Baron Miles, is one of the better safeties in the league and is a threat to pick off passes.
Paul McCallum, is arguably the best placekicker in the CFL. Though in Saskatchewan, he is best known for missing a 10 yard field goal in 2005 that would've sent the Riders to the Grey Cup.

Calgary Stampeders
Joffrey Reynolds, is a good running back. He is usually good for a first down and more when he carries the ball.
Ken-Yon Rambo, Nik Lewis and Jermaine Copeland are among the best trio of receivers the CFL has. They are also well known around the league for being cocky and trash talkers. Think Terrell Owens and you have an idea what these guys are like.
Sandro DeAngelis, is another good placekicker. He is also an easy target for opposing teams' fans, especially when missing an easy kick, as a taunt of "Sandra....Sandra....Sandra" is what follows.

Edmonton Eskimos
Graeme Bell, he is a heartwarming story more than anything. I'm not sure whether he will be an impact player, but two springs ago, he was brutally attacked (by someone I unfortunately have met) outside a bar. He was cracked over the head with a bat and wasn't expected to ever play football again, let alone walk. He missed all of last season, but is back in playing shape. Watch for him to run the ball and cheer for him as his story is remarkable.
Jesse Lumsden, is likely the best Canadian running back in the league. He signed with Edmonton this off-season, after spending a few injury plagued seasons in Hamilton.
Kitwana Jones, he is one of the better Defensive Linemen in the league. Signed with the Esks after spending the last several years in Saskatchewan. Had a bad training camp and apparently has fallen on the depth charts, but was a several year starter with the Green and White.

Saskatchewan Roughriders
Hugh Charles, very impressive last week against the Stampeders. He is a running back in the mold of Pinball Clemons (Barry Sanders if that name works better). Will fill in very nicely until Wes Cates is back from injury.
Andy Fantuz, Weston Dressler and Jason Clermont form the only trio to even come close to the Stamps trio of receivers. All are big play threats and very good and fighting off defenders. As well, Dressler is a great kick returner.
The Riders probably have the deepest Offensive Line in the CFL, with Jeremy O'Day, currently injured Gene Makowsky, Belton Johnson and Jordan Rempel in the mix. One of the few positions, where the Riders are deep enough to have their backups play good enough to be starters in the rest of the league.
Stevie Baggs is a monster on the Defensive Line. Look for him to be a threat to lead the league in sacks this year. He has dubbed himself "Shakespeare" because he makes all the plays.
Eddie Davis one of only two players who remain from the US expansion era. He is a great Defensive Back and it seems the older he gets, the better he gets.
Luca Congi is a very good placekicker and is reliable when called upon in clutch situations.
Jamie Boreham is likely the best kickoff kicker in the CFL and the only reason the Riders carry a punter and a kicker.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (boooooo, they are the Riders arch rivals)
Derick Armstrong and Terrence Edwards are going to be expected to pick up the slack after the retirement of Milt Stegall. Both are good receivers, but not in Milt category (but then again Milt couldn't carry Narco's jockstrap).
Former Lion Kelly Bates anchors a new look Offensive Line for the Bombers, which features former Riders Glenn January and Steve Morley.
Gavin Walls is likely their best D-lineman. He is a good threat to stop the runs off tackle and can chase down a QB or two.
Barrin Simpson is a good Linebacker in the middle. A perennial East Division All-Star and is always good for a decent blitz or two.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Chris Bauman is a good receiver and will definitely benefit from having Kevin Glenn throwing to him. Outside of Glenn and himself there are few offensive threats from the Ti-Cats, until running back Kenton Keith comes back.
Dylan Barker was injured all of last year, his rookie season, but was one of the best CIS DBs his 5 years with the Saskatchewan Huskies (my alma mater).

Toronto Argonauts
Jarrett Payton, son of former NFL great Walter Payton, shows flashes of his father in his running game. He seems to be a bit injury prone, so it will be interesting to see what he can do if he stays healthy all year.
Arland Bruce III and Andre Talbot are good receivers and if Kerry can find them, will be the top two options in their offense.
Rob Murphy, arguably the dirtiest O-lineman in the CFL. Was suspended last season for nearly ripping off an Eskimo player's head. He also incited the beer can throwing incident in Saskatchewan. Maybe moving from BC to Toronto will cause him to settle down. Either way he is worth watching to see what he will try and pull this week.

Montreal Alouettes
Avon Coburn is the reason Jarrett Payton is in Toronto. He is an explosive running back that breaks tackles with ease.
Ben Cahoonis Anthony Calvillo's favorite target. Look for him to get lots of passes and lots of yards every game.
Scott Flory is one of the better O-Linemen is the league. He is also a running joke among Rider fans. He signed with them in the 2006 off-season, only to demand a trade a few weeks later. Oddly, enough he lives in Regina during the off-season.
Damon Duval is one of the most physical kickers in the league. Was ejected from a game last season for fighting with an opposing player. He is also very accurate and almost a gimme on field goals inside the 35.

So that is my list of who to watch. Since the CFL schedule is heavily intra-divisional, I see the Western teams much more often than I see the Eastern teams. However, feel free to join the Rider Nation, who are by far the best fans in the CFL and Canada's team. Yes it sounds like the trumpeting of a diehard, but it is true. The Rider Nation always has a large contingent in other team's stadiums, in fact most Riders games in Calgary are closer to Rider home games with the crowd being decidedly Green. Lastly, 75% of all CFL merchandise sales is Saskatchewan Roughriders gear.

I hope to track down tickets for next Friday's Lions/Riders game in Regina. If I can't the next game I will get to is July 18th between the Als and Riders. But feel free to ask any questions you want regarding the CFL and our great players.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:13 am

[quote=""Irving Thomas""]
[/quote]

I should also answer your questions regarding the QBs. Darian Durant is not a new starter of the Riders per se. He was the starter beginning in Week 2 last year and I believe was hurt at the end of August. After that, the reigns were handed to Marcus Crandell and then to Michael Bishop.

As for the Bombers, it is interesting that two years after making the Grey Cup, they dump both QBs from that team. Kevin Glenn was released in March and Ryan Dinwiddie in May. That leaves Stefan Lefors as the starter, which is troublesome for them, as he was at best the 3rd stringer in Edmonton.

As mentioned above Kevin Glenn was released by the Bombers and signed with the Ti-Cats. With the lack of talent in the Steel City, I can't see them doing well. But signing Glenn is an improvement after Casey Printers bombed out after his NFL sojourn.

Anthony Cavillo, was the Most Outstanding Player last season. Generally, this award is giving to an Offensive player, but it is not the Offensive MVP. It is the MVP of the league. His rise is amazing though, I remember watching him play a game in Hamilton in 1996 or so. He played so poorly that when he was pulled from the game, he sat in the dugout balling his eyes out. I remember the announcers saying that if that's how he reacts to being pulled from a game, he will not last long in the league. Funny how things change.

Irving Thomas
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by Irving Thomas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:33 am

Thank you for the answer..
Some of the names I've already heard, as I watched some games (thru streaming) last year. Still got some questions..
-Is there any rule in Cfl about the number of imports players you may sign? Following italian and european soccer (and basketball) I get used to rule avoiding a large number of import players getting signed, is there anything like that in Cfl?
-Lots of names, especially for the RB position.. who was the leading rusher last year?
-I came across an Eskimos game on the net, what about the Eskimos Safety Shabazz..isn't he an all star?

By the way, lots of 100% italian names over there like Sandro DeAngelis or Luca Congi.

So far I don't have a favourite team..

I'll check the board later, right now I am off to lunch..

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:55 am

[quote=""Irving Thomas""]Thank you for the answer..
Some of the names I've already heard, as I watched some games (thru streaming) last year. Still got some questions..
-Is there any rule in Cfl about the number of imports players you may sign? Following italian and european soccer (and basketball) I get used to rule avoiding a large number of import players getting signed, is there anything like that in Cfl?
-Lots of names, especially for the RB position.. who was the leading rusher last year?
-I came across an Eskimos game on the net, what about the Eskimos Safety Shabazz..isn't he an all star?

By the way, lots of 100% italian names over there like Sandro DeAngelis or Luca Congi.

So far I don't have a favourite team..

I'll check the board later, right now I am off to lunch..[/quote]

There is an import ratio in the CFL. There are 42 players who are active in any game. Three of those players are designated Quarterbacks and can be either import or non-imports. Of the other 39, no more than 19 can be imports. However, unlike soccer (as far as I understand anyway) nationality plays only a small role in determining who is an import and who isn't. What determines this is where a player played high school football.

Ergo, you have the instance of a few Canadian born players not qualifying as non-imports as they moved to the US at a young age. Conversely, you have Luc Mullinder from the Riders who was born in New Zealand, but is a non-import because he played high school football in Canada.

The leading rusher last year was Joffrey Reynolds from the Stamps. He rushed for 1310 yards last year. Second place was Wes Cates from my Riders and a distant third was Avon Coburn of the Alouettes.

Siddeeq Shabazz has not been an all-star. He actually is a member of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this year. He isn't bad but isn't great. Incidentally, he was born in Germany, so might be fellow countryman depending where in Europe you are.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have regarding the CFL. As an aside, watch this commercial/in-stadium video the CFL put together. This illustrates how big the CFL is in Canada. It always gives me goose-bumps to watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1jCfg7Qxc

Irving Thomas
Site Admin

Post by Irving Thomas » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:05 am

Actually I am italian and Frankfurt is in Germany. Europe has a set of law and an european parlament (it's located in Belgium), so it means despite being from different nation you have the same rights inside the European Union, and we also have the same currency since 2002.
Just out of curiosity, where'd go mister Michael Bishop (ex-Riders QB)? Did he retire?
The season start is just a few days away..how do you see a pre-season chart?
Judging from last year, I guess the "pole position" (or seeded number 1) should always be the Stampeders with lions, Riders and Alouettes following, then Eskimos, Bombers, Argonauts and Tcats?
P.s.
I already watched the "this is our league" ad...

Askafriend
Site Admin

Post by Askafriend » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:25 pm

You can sign as many imports as you like but you can only dress and play a certain amount. It's sort of unfair but it protects salaries for Canadians<lots of players go try NFL or AFL before and after.We encourage the Canadian rules and I've got a question the NFL is having a junior tournament with international teams who's winning?Please keep me updated!

Irving Thomas
Site Admin

Matchups

Post by Irving Thomas » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 pm

I have checked the schedule, and in week number one the Tcats (by the way, Hamilton is known as steel city? Why?) should play in Toronto one week after they matched up in a pre season game? How weird is that?
Montreal and Calgary plys a rematch of 2008 Grey Cup (is that the game of the week?).
Winnipeg is testing its own QB Lefors versus Eskimos with renewed Head coach.
On friday Lions are testing the Roughriders.
I expect all these games to be very close except the Toronto-Hamilton game..but I've read those two teamd are from southern Ontario, in Europe we call it "a derby" when two teamd from the same region (or town) matche up. We use to say those games are unpredictable..
What do you think of each game?

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:18 am

I know all about the EU as I have a Political Studies degree. I've been trying to shake my family try to see if I can qualify for an EU Passport, I would like to work in Europe possibly.

As for Michael Bishop, he is playing for the Corpus Christi Hammerheads of the United Indoor Football.

Not sure what you mean by a Preseason chart, but CFL.ca has all the results from the games and whatnot.

As far as predictions go I'd say, the West will shake-up like this:
1. Stamps
2. Lions
3. Riders
4. Esks (crossover)

The East will look like this:
1. Als
2. Argos
3. Bombers
4. Ti-Cats

That's not overly strange that the Ti-Cats and Argos would open the season against each other. The preseason games in the East do not draw well attendance-wise. So pitting the Ti-Cats and Argos against each other is a good way to ensure a better attendance at the game.

As for the Stamps/Als I wouldn't say its the game of the week. Probably the best game will be the Lions and Riders. In recent years, the two teams have become bitter rivals and I expect it will be another heated game.

In the CFL, the "derbies" are the Labour Day clashes: Stamps/Esks, Riders/Bombers and Ti-Cats/Argos. The Als and Lions don't really have any sort of rivalry and are only paired together due to the fact all teams need equal schedules. The teams may get geared up when they play each other outside of Labour Day and the weekend after, but the fans are most interested in the Labour Day games. You will not see a more party atmosphere at a CFL game than Labour Day weekend.

As for the games this week. I'd expect to see the Eskimos dominate over the Bombers, the Als and Stamps will be close, Argos will stay in close with the Ti-Cats and the Riders will beat the Lions.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:24 am

[quote=""Askafriend""]You can sign as many imports as you like but you can only dress and play a certain amount. It's sort of unfair but it protects salaries for Canadians<lots of players go try NFL or AFL before and after.We encourage the Canadian rules and I've got a question the NFL is having a junior tournament with international teams who's winning?Please keep me updated![/quote]

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_IFAF_Junior_World_Cup) Canada thumped New Zealand 55-0, Mexico beat Sweden 41-0, the US killed France 78-0 and Japan squeeked by Germany 10-7. On July 1, Canada plays Japan and Mexico plays the US in the Semi-Finals. I fully expect Canada to play the US in the Final. In the tournament that this replaced Canada was usually the champions.

Return to “CFL”