The World Basketball Association (WBA) forum
globie
Site Admin

Post by globie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm

LOL your funny, sounds like a plan....

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 am

[quote=""AlextheGreat""]I don't know a whole lot about your franchise. However, from what I have seen, it seems you run it in an ethical way.

With that said, what I am going to ask you is not meant for you or as a reflection of how you do business. I know that these type of events are mandatory.

However, did these two players have to come back for a tryout with your team? In other words, they could have avoided the WBA camp (more importantly $200) and still been in the same situation?[/quote]

They did have to come to our tryout, because I needed to see them against the talent we had coming in that was much better than that of the WBA camp, but they didn't have to pay anything for that (new players were charged $50...as someone mentioned earlier...to keep everyone from non-serious players from showing up).

However, I'm not a big fan of the pay-to-play camps. Every team recruits. Any experienced player knows this. If you have no connections and are a virtual unknown, the tryouts are the only option really, but more important than playing well is the networking that goes on at camps. You have to get some face time with people, make your impression felt, and follow up professionally after the camp.

I've watched people exploit players for these camp fees for far too long (not directing that at the WBA...but more so towards everyone). This season, we partnered with a league, and have committed to attaching our name to it and scouting that league for players wishing to play for the Flight. Instead of getting money from players, we're getting dollars from that league who wanted to bolster their credibility and increase the competition level in their league. I'd rather take it from a business than players anyway. Players are usually scraping by, but even this league, which will be include a 7 game schedule plus playoffs and a little all-star event, is only $80, which is cheaper than most leagues anyway. More bang for the buck in every manner.

I have all of the best intentions with everything we are doing. As a player, coach and owner...I've seen and experienced a lot. I've sponged good information from guys like Jay Fiedler, Dr. Hrywnak, Greg Minor...even Coach Daleo, Michael Richardson and Kenny Anderson when we traveled back and forth for games with the East Kentucky Miners. I've even been found of the boards here, too! We want to be a franchise operating with the same respectability of an old CBA franchise, but it is going to take some time to build. If I had Ron Sholes (Jacksonville Giants) money, it would be instant. I have to utilize the disposable money I have, and so far...I think we are doing just fine!
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 am

umm ... WBA players do not average $50+ per game. That is an untruth. ;)

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:01 am

I think it is a turnoff for any smart businessman as well. I have a close friend that is looking to start a basketball team. This guy could start a hockey or baseball team with ease but there is no viable option for venues for those sports.

As a result, he is dead set on starting a basketball team. So he was down to the CBL, WBA, and Independent. After I sent this to him the WBA is out. He feels like the league must not have any operating capital if they are ripping off athletes like that.

Any league that has a 100 cap on games is trying to screw the players. I have no problem with a team that has players from that town making small fees. However, how could you ever bring in real talent at that price?

GwinnettMajic
Site Admin

Post by GwinnettMajic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:15 am

Been a while since I have posted anything on the boards here. We drafted Will Lewis from the the WBA camp and he played on our team the entire season and The Majic returned 7 players from 2009. Yes, our players were paid between to 40 and 75 a game and all of my players worked our kids camps all summer and made extra cash. We have 5 players playing overseas right now from our 2009 and 2010 Championship teams. Benjamin James Puckett, Albert Jackson, Adrian Penland, Wayne Arnold and Javon Randolph and Mike Sloan will be soon. We also had a 2nd tryout for just our team and Will did not pay for this once he was selected at the Pre Draft Camp and we charged 50 to 75. We picked up three more players Patrick Shoapeka and Keron Mekensie from Fla Atlantic and Frank Davis from Middle Tenn State. Albert Jackson was done at UGA and attended our agent/tryout in April and made our team and was signed by one of the agents that attended (http://www.scorersfirst.com)

Its funny how everyone seems to know so much about how ALL the WBA work and are so quick to post negative stuff on the boards but until you own a minor league team then its tough to say what is fair and not fair to charge for anything. Im sure some teams have hurt the league but saying the entire WBA does this or that is false. If you would like to talk to me anytime then send me a message or call 678-476-2770. I would be happy to tell you how the Majic operate. Our goal is to help these guys get jobs overseas and provide a great experience for local residents to see a great game. Thanks Brandon

http://www.gwinnettmajic.com
Last edited by GwinnettMajic on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marcus Brown plays in Syria this year and played in Dubai last season so that makes 6...

GwinnettMajic
Site Admin

Post by GwinnettMajic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:22 am

I forgot we picked up Brandon Hudson from predraft camp 2nd game into season because Tupelo was out and he was on our roster the rest of the season as well.

Love Pro Hoops
Site Admin

Wba

Post by Love Pro Hoops » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 am

Good Job gwinnett majic and florida flight.I think you guys do a great job of moving guys an running ethical teams. Anytime you move five guys overseas you did your job really well. You guys have great points everybody on here. I think the camp fee is to expensive but it worths every penny to guys who are good enough to make a team. I would just pay 50 bucks and tryout for a individual team but that's just my opinion. Great job again flight and majic players should be lined up to play for your organizations.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:13 pm

you guys are hilarious, that you think no one can comment about a team running bogus camps. Someone NEEDS TO, the majority of camps are bogus.

So this syrupie stuff about the wba teams, is really self serving, the questions are needed and neccessary to find out the motive and intent of the camps, and to give players and agents accurate information about these camps.

And the wba and its affiliates are not above being questioned.

GwinnettMajic
Site Admin

Post by GwinnettMajic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:53 am

Not so fast, you are more than welcome to call me and I will give you all the information you want about the WBA camps and our clinics/camps. Remember that I do not work for the WBA so I'm not on this thread to make anyone think its the best thing in the world. Someone asked a question and I gave you what I know. Hit me up 678-476-2770 and I would love to talk hoops with anyone at any time.. Brandon

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 am

[quote=""GwinnettMajic""]Not so fast, you are more than welcome to call me and I will give you all the information you want about the WBA camps and our clinics/camps. Remember that I do not work for the WBA so I'm not on this thread to make anyone think its the best thing in the world. Someone asked a question and I gave you what I know. Hit me up 678-476-2770 and I would love to talk hoops with anyone at any time.. Brandon[/quote]

Gwinnett is a stand up organization -- no doubt about it -- they always put a great product on the court and handle themselves well off the court, too. It really would be great to see them playing in the CBL in 2011. Any chance that could happen because I really think it would be a win-win for both the Majic and for basketball in the Southeast.

Return to “WBA”