2011 WBA Tryout Camp

The World Basketball Association (WBA) forum
AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 pm

He will not answer it. I got my hands on one of their manuals and this is a quote:

"The league recommends paying per diems vs. salaries. Through extensive research, we have found it hard for a team to survive in minor league basketball with overwhelming weekly salaries. "

In other words, they want you to pay $200 to tryout for a team. If you were selected they want you to move to that city with the following understanding.

A) No travel money
B) No housing
C) No salary

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Just got a message:

"Really?? I have ignored you I am not on this board to argue with haters. I am happy to provide real info to fans, players and coaches. Please know this I will not buy into your malicious, false and defamatory statements with a respond again. Don't like the WBA? Don't study it...God bless and good luck."

Can a fan please ask the same two questions I asked? Those are fair questions for potential players to know.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Alexthegreat, you must understand,. this is still not as bad as the chicago steam of the aba, I mean not only do they not pay you, or house you, or give you per diem, you must sell tickets just to keep your roster spot, which usually comes out of the players pocket. So in other words, you must pay to try out, then pay for your housing, then pay for your own food, then pay the coaches/owner.

Now these are offers that are hard to refuse.

The wba, has a ways to go to be as bad as the aba, with their bogus camps.

globie
Site Admin

Post by globie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

The WBA teams maintain a roster of 10 paid players with a mandatory salary cap of $100 per game per player. Most teams pay between $50-100 per in a 12 week season playing 2 games a week. The 2010 Tryout camp we had 40 players of which 9 played on teams. The WBA has been conducting Tryout and position specific camps for the past 8 years. Please visit our website http://www.wbaball.net for news and updates. Thanks for your interest.

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks. Now I am hitting the BS button.

Earlier you stated,"The WBA tryout typically draws 60-100 players from all over the world."

Now when pressed for numbers you said 40. Of those 40 only 9 played on teams. Is it fair to say to potential players that it was a waste of money for 78 percent of those that attended?

Here is another question for you (Mark King please give us an answer too), how many of those 9 were already on their team but came to get drafted by their team?

Now to the other numbers. You stated, "Most teams pay between $50-100 per in a 12 week season playing 2 games a week."

Now I am not a math major but that is 24 games. However, your "Handy Dandy Handbook" states you play 6 home and 6 away. I was able (after a long search) to find the Majic finished 12-3 after the playoffs were complete.

I will stop there for now......but please answer the question about who brought players already on the roster with them.

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:58 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]Alexthegreat, you must understand,. this is still not as bad as the chicago steam of the aba, I mean not only do they not pay you, or house you, or give you per diem, you must sell tickets just to keep your roster spot, which usually comes out of the players pocket. So in other words, you must pay to try out, then pay for your housing, then pay for your own food, then pay the coaches/owner.

Now these are offers that are hard to refuse.

The wba, has a ways to go to be as bad as the aba, with their bogus camps.[/quote]

I hear you. It is like me paying $15,000 a year for my kids to go to private school and still having to participate in mandatory fund raisers. I honestly don't have a problem with camp fees (I know it helps so that 300 overweight men don't show up) or having players sell tickets.

However, to take $200 from uneducated players is crazy. Lower that down to $75 and it would be fine.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:22 pm

[quote=""AlextheGreat""]Thanks. Now I am hitting the BS button.

Earlier you stated,"The WBA tryout typically draws 60-100 players from all over the world."

Now when pressed for numbers you said 40. Of those 40 only 9 played on teams. Is it fair to say to potential players that it was a waste of money for 78 percent of those that attended?

Here is another question for you (Mark King please give us an answer too), how many of those 9 were already on their team but came to get drafted by their team?

Now to the other numbers. You stated, "Most teams pay between $50-100 per in a 12 week season playing 2 games a week."

Now I am not a math major but that is 24 games. However, your "Handy Dandy Handbook" states you play 6 home and 6 away. I was able (after a long search) to find the Majic finished 12-3 after the playoffs were complete.

I will stop there for now......but please answer the question about who brought players already on the roster with them.[/quote]

I can't speak on other WBA teams (and won't speak my opinion of the WBA), but I can speak on the Florida Flight. We drafted Jacob Carver and traded for Tyler Simms (I drafted another kid from Orlando that didn't work out, but really wanted Tyler instead, but someone else drafted him...thus the trade).

We never knew those players before the camp. Both were invited to our own pre-season camp...both earned spots on the inactive roster initially...both worked extremely hard...and both ended up playing some limited minutes here and there later on in the season. Both have worked hard and improved, and will be invited back this season. In fact, Tyler was playing for the Florida Makos of the ABA the last I heard.

It was too difficult to pay attention to who was doing what for other teams. We were more occupied with handling our own franchise.
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:58 pm

[quote=""zeke41""]I can't speak on other WBA teams (and won't speak my opinion of the WBA), but I can speak on the Florida Flight. We drafted Jacob Carver and traded for Tyler Simms (I drafted another kid from Orlando that didn't work out, but really wanted Tyler instead, but someone else drafted him...thus the trade).

We never knew those players before the camp. Both were invited to our own pre-season camp...both earned spots on the inactive roster initially...both worked extremely hard...and both ended up playing some limited minutes here and there later on in the season. Both have worked hard and improved, and will be invited back this season. In fact, Tyler was playing for the Florida Makos of the ABA the last I heard.

It was too difficult to pay attention to who was doing what for other teams. We were more occupied with handling our own franchise.[/quote]

I don't know a whole lot about your franchise. However, from what I have seen, it seems you run it in an ethical way.

With that said, what I am going to ask you is not meant for you or as a reflection of how you do business. I know that these type of events are mandatory.

However, did these two players have to come back for a tryout with your team? In other words, they could have avoided the WBA camp (more importantly $200) and still been in the same situation?

globie
Site Admin

Post by globie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm

My bad it is well documented that the league regular season games are 12 plus exhibition and playoffs. No team brings its own players to draft. I did say on average but 2010 camp we had 40 players. Keep your BS button, your going to need it....

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:11 pm

[quote=""globie""] Keep your BS button, your going to need it....[/quote]

What are you going to do.....steal it and make me pay you $200 to "tryout" to get it back?

Return to “WBA”