WBA recap in my words as a intern

The World Basketball Association (WBA) forum
wbaintern
Site Admin

WBA recap in my words as a intern

Post by wbaintern » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 am

I was a intern in the WBA this season and went to almost every game I could get too. Here is my recap on what I saw out there. These boards are always negative but Gwinnett,Franklin,Marietta (at times), Florida (at Home) had good clubs and players worth watching. Some teams no showed but for the most part the Championship game was awsome and action packed.
(sorry about spelling im typing fast and some forums are not worth spell check)

Franklin, Solid team and great owners and overall second best team in the league. Made all their games and was never late. Solid team and had a great set up for home games and had a good group of fans at all home games. They will be solid in any league and did awsome for a first year team.

Gwinnett, Best team in the league for 2nd year in a row. Was late for one game after van broke down 3 times. Only a hour late to Florida Game and came right off bus and played game. Majic were missing 3 starters first 6 games of year. Went 10 and 0 when they returned. Great owners and solid team. Saw coach the other day and they are meeting in 2 weeks for 2011.Franklin vs Majic had close to 600 fans and 100+ were Knights fans.

Flight, Mark had solid ownership and always made his games. He was 45 min late and a hour late to both Gwinnett games. He was hosed by Decatur and Marietta on no shows for home games. His top players never went on road so he missed 2nd seed for that reason. His home team was a 2nd seed and his road team was rec league team in my book. Mark did get the raw end on some home games but he was not a perfect on time team he claimed all season. Majic had to give free tickets to entire gym on last game since he was pushing a hour late with his team.

Decatur, Team was a joke from day one. Got better at end of year but too late.

Marietta, First year was not good. Maybe better luck next season if they make it through the year. Organization and making promises that could not keep in the end

Jacksonville, Jacksonville will blame the WBA but they did not have the $ for a full season. Had a decent team but did not play everyone and got Gwinnett early without its regular players. I saw them play twice and they were ok. Maybe 3rd best team in league if they would have stayed.

My opinion only

BasketballGuru
Site Admin

WBA recap in my words as a fan

Post by BasketballGuru » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:29 pm

I think that this person posting needs to get their info correct. There are some statements here in this posting that I would like to address. One is that you stated Gwinett was an hour late to Florida wrong correction the game was scheduled at 7:30 and they didn't play until 9:15pm and Magic did get to warm up for 15 mins. I know this because this was one of my first game visits to the Flight's venue and game didn't finish until after 11pm. 2. I heard that the league scheduled the games in Gwinett for 6:30, the only team in the league to have games scheduled that way, everyone else was 7:30. To me thats the league's fault but I really don't know much info about the road games just stating what I've read on here. 3. I believe that had Jacksonville stuck around they could have possibly gone undefeated. No one team matched their intensity, Florida came close in one of their home games and Gwinett had a close game with them, but to me clearly the Bluewaves would have won it all. 4. The WBA playoffs were a joke how do you have just 2 teams play? I thought I read on here that all the teams made the playoffs with a play in game! What happened to that? I was disappointed because I was going to check out a playoff game in Florida, but there was not one and then I read later on their website, they pulled out of the league. Suggestion to the WBA why not have a 3 game series, where the teams that play each other get a home game and an away game, with the higher seed getting the benefit if the series was tied at 1-1 the host team the first game gets the advantage, same goes for the championship game. Remember this is just a suggestion. With all that happened with this year, teams are puling out of the WBA and going on to bigger better more organized professional leagues wouldn't you as a league want to keep teams to play in your wonderful unorganized league?

Below is my ranking for the 2010 season had everything gone they way it should have and the WBA did their part to make it work:

1. Jacksonville (WBA Champs)
2. Florida
3. Gwinett
4. Franklin
5. Marietta
6. Decatur
7. Tupelo

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 pm

[quote=""BasketballGuru""]I believe that had Jacksonville stuck around they could have possibly gone undefeated. No one team matched their intensity, Florida came close in one of their home games and Gwinett had a close game with them, but to me clearly the Bluewaves would have won it all.

2. Florida
3. Gwinett
4. Franklin
5. Marietta
6. Decatur
7. Tupelo[/quote]

I have to agree with your take on Jacksonville. They were clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the league. It is such a pity that they were a disaster off the court because a Jacksonville-Gwinett final series would have been good.

Just for kicks here is my list:

2. Gwinett
3. Florida
4. Franklin
5. Marietta
6. Decatur

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:21 am

[quote=""wbaintern""]

Jacksonville, Jacksonville will blame the WBA but they did not have the $ for a full season. Had a decent team but did not play everyone and got Gwinnett early without its regular players. I saw them play twice and they were ok. Maybe 3rd best team in league if they would have stayed.

My opinion only[/quote]

Is this not the same Jacksonville team that is now in the ABA?

formerlyknownasfells
Site Admin

Post by formerlyknownasfells » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:36 am

[quote=""AlextheGreat""]Is this not the same Jacksonville team that is now in the ABA?[/quote]

Different team, different ownership. Kevin Waters, who is the coach of the Giants, was the owner/coach of the Blue Wave. Ron Shoals owns the Giants.
"Of all of the things I have lost, I think I miss my mind the most."

AlextheGreat
Site Admin

Post by AlextheGreat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 am

That makes sense. I was curious how money was an issue in the WBA but they seem to do things top notch in the ABA. I also remembered the WBA team announcing they were going to the ABA.

globie
Site Admin

Post by globie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 am

Kevin has been a member of the WBA and has done a great job with a new ownership group. Congrats Kevin

Return to “WBA”