WBA Tryout Camp & Owner's Meeting

The World Basketball Association (WBA) forum
not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Who are the starting guards for the Flight?

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]Who are the starting guards for the Flight?[/quote]

They are having an open tryout in case you are interested. Best of luck.

CHris902
Site Admin

Post by CHris902 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 am

[quote=""wellington""]It's actually 6 weeks to the Flight's opener (May 20th). I got a PM from Mark this afternoon -- apparently they have not officially started selling season tickets to the general public. They are finalizing ticketing arrangements with the Kissimmee Civic Center and hope to start selling season tickets to the general public within the week. So, 65 tickets isn't bad when you consider that an official season ticket drive has not been launched. They hope to sell 350 season tickets before May 20th. If they can do this, it will be quite an accomplishment. After all, this is the WBA and not PBL where operational budgets are 20x bigger.[/quote]

Sorry - I misread the schedule and thought that the season opener was April 20. It still strikes me that not having season tickets up for sale six weeks out is a bit of an issue.

I do hope that things work out for Mark, but I don't really trust the WBA.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

wellington, I dont stand a chance. In fact Chris Paul or steve Nash don't stand a chance. We all know who will be the starting point guard for the flight.

BasketballGuru
Site Admin

Post by BasketballGuru » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:33 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]wellington, I dont stand a chance. In fact Chris Paul or steve Nash don't stand a chance. We all know who will be the starting point guard for the flight.[/quote]
Well not so fast who is it? Tell us who the flight starting pg is!!!!!

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]Who are the starting guards for the Flight?[/quote]

And that is the major concern. Is your average fan in Orlando going to spend their hard earned money to watch John Wall in the NBA summer league or Mark King in the WBA? When you play in the same town it is a fair criticism. The WBA is great when you take it to a town that doesn't have professional sports and wants something to do. I don't think the greater Orlando area fits the bill.
Since minor league basketball has sunk so low it should be noted that all my comments are merely my personal opinions. They are purely my views that I wish to express using my constitutionally protected right. There are basic standards I believe a pro league or team should adhere to. If you want to know those standards shoot me a PM.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:11 pm

[quote=""wellington""]I don't think that it is much of an issue. What type of people are interested in NBA summer league? Diehard NBA/basketball fans, OSC posters, scouts, etc. [/quote]

You're right. In fact, the Orlando Summer League was (and I think still is) closed to the public. They appeal to different types of basketball fans.

minorleagfan09
Site Admin

Post by minorleagfan09 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I'll take your word for it. I remember a friend going to watch the summer league but that was in Vegas. Regardless knowing the NBA's view on indepedent basketball I could see them opening the games up to the public just to screw the local team in town.
Since minor league basketball has sunk so low it should be noted that all my comments are merely my personal opinions. They are purely my views that I wish to express using my constitutionally protected right. There are basic standards I believe a pro league or team should adhere to. If you want to know those standards shoot me a PM.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:56 pm

[quote=""minorleagfan09""]I'll take your word for it. I remember a friend going to watch the summer league but that was in Vegas. Regardless knowing the NBA's view on indepedent basketball I could see them opening the games up to the public just to screw the local team in town.[/quote]

To the NBA, indy basketball is not even on the radar screen -- I don't think they care either way.

I've seen the Vegas summer league being promoted -- that could probably work well in Vegas with diehard fans from say Boston who are like let's go for the weekend... gamble, see some shows, catch a few NBA summer league games... although Orlando is a big destination city like Vegas -- it tends to be more Disney-centric, family oriented.

Return to “WBA”