Franklin Knights

The World Basketball Association (WBA) forum
preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 am

You obviously aren't following the ABA very closely.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am

[quote=""not so fast""]This newly hired coach talked about using this job to get a college job. Not a ringing endorsement of the wba.[/quote]
What? The WBA is an Exposure League. They play a 2 month schedule. It is not a year-round, full-time job in it's present format. How can you fault a guy for wanting this to be a stepping stone to something else?

[quote=""not so fast""]I also read that one of the owners of one the franchises is 24 years old. Well with this trend, soon there will be a newly to be, high school grad owning a team soon, at 18 years old.,[/quote]
Talking about trends... up to this point, the track record for minor league basketball ownership has been pretty darn lousy (and that's being nice). How can you fault a young person for trying their hand at this -- maybe they can bring a new perspective and fresh ideas. I think too many on this board are living in the past -- the CBA glory years. Times have changed, yet an antiquated view of 'how a minor league basketball team should be run' is still very pervasive. It's practitioners have an almost puritanical zeal in protecting the ancient code of minor league basketball ownership -- is there some guidebook or etiquette manual out there? The internet has opened a whole new door (i.e. social media, networking) -- it is time to open our eyes to a new world of possibilities.

Lastly, I think that there is a racial undertone to some of the negativity here on the boards. When you look at the photos of the Franklin Knights ownership group. As Not So Fast stated -- they are indeed young -- but they are also very very white. I'm not saying NSF has a racial bias (I have no idea what race he/she is), but just think for a second -- if the Knights owners where young and African-American -- we would justifiably be singing their praises for putting together a nice website, having solid press releases, being stellar role models, etc. In a similar manner, I also think this explains some of the resentment towards Mark King (notice I said 'some') -- who does this short, white boy think he is? He thinks he can play basketball? Nah. He has the nerve to own a team? Heaven forbid. If Mark King was African-American, there wouldn't be nearly as much animosity directed towards him by certain posters. People would give him the benefit of the doubt and be applauding him for beating the odds... Why? It's not like he has hurt anybody or ripped people off. Quite the opposite, he has done everything he said he was going to do. Interestingly, it is not too surprising why there is so much hate directed towards our President. If he was white, there would still be haters, but the level of hate would not be as great as it is. In certain places that I have been, some people act like President Obama is the Antichrist -- how stupid!?! It is just interesting how race impacts us -- it goes both ways... it is sad reality that we must all deal with on a daily basis.

Even though there is a certain anonymity of posting on discussion boards and we can sometimes be somebody else, there is no escaping our inner psyche. Again, please don't overstate what I am saying -- there has been a fair amount of disdain spread out to team owners of all races, but for whatever reason Not So Fast's recent comments struck a nerve. I could be totally off base here, but I think that I am on to something...
Last edited by wellington on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm

Wow, didn't you just accuse me on another thread of hijacking the thread?

What do you call this?

For the record, I am an African american, and I am a staunch conservative, and I did not vote for Obama. Grew up in a very diverse community and state here in Illinois, and most of my closet friends were white, growing up, but I lived then and now in an coummunity that is diverse.

As far as White guys owning sport franchises, I don't know about you, but I don't see color in people. If a 21 year old black guy purchased the chicago Throwbacks, I would be equally as critical, because, I know that dealing with all of these issues in running a team takes experience. Dealing with players egos, coaches egos, sponsors egoes, trying to get housing deals, trying to get venue deals, trying to do marketing for a team, is a very tall task, and chances are a 24 year old would lack the tools and experience necassary to do the job. Desire is one thing, but hands on experience is the best teacher.

Anyone like Mark who has this burning desire to play and dedication is to be commended. But there still should be a dose of reality. Thats all there is to it.

Finally, the former owner of the Quad cities team in the pbl was a young white guy, and we are friends. And remain friends to this day. But if he laces them up and starts trying to play with the guys on his roster, I will let him have it the same way.

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:51 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]Wow, didn't you just accuse me on another thread of hijacking the thread?

What do you call this?

[/quote]
Touché. You got me with that one. Check your PM.

I'm heading back to my cave...

Let's move on with the Franklin Knights...
Last edited by wellington on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:52 pm

For the record, wellington is a great guy, and this I know.

And I am going back to work. I only wish we had more good minorleague basketball all over America!

Go WBA, go IBL, go PBL go NBDL, and comeback CBA, USBL.

And Go Chicago Bulls (some might argue they are minorleague lately)!

GwinnettMajic
Site Admin

Post by GwinnettMajic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Why cant a 24 year old own a team?

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:47 pm

didn't say he couldnt, of course he can. The question is should he? Does he really know how to handle all the things previously mentioned? Unless we are just running a rag tag team like a aba team, then heck, a 12 year old could own one.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:23 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]Unless we are just running a rag tag team like a aba team, then heck, a 12 year old could own one.[/quote]

Don't give Joe any ideas. I can see the badly written press release as we speak.

FranklinKnights
Site Admin

Roster

Post by FranklinKnights » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Franklin Knights 2010 Roster has been announced on franklinknights.net/roster

FranklinKnights
Site Admin

Post by FranklinKnights » Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 am

Our roster has been updated! Check out FranklinKnights.net for changes.

Return to “WBA”