The United States Basketball League (USBL) forum
The Magician
Site Admin

USBL is Alive

Post by The Magician » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Mayles Named Executive League Director
09/05/07

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3537503
The United States Basketball League (USBL) has appointed Al Mayles to serve as the USBL's Executive League Coordinator. Mayles has been the USBL's Supervisor of Officials for the past three years and will continue to oversee officiating of the league while expanding his role in the league's operations.

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:00 am

I spy with my little eye.......................a red herring.

An "anything is better than nothing" press release to let anyone think that this league is still alive. Frankly they could appoint Dr. Jack Kevorkian as the league medical officer and still have the same chances for success.

tops804
Site Admin

Post by tops804 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:49 am

It is some off season progress and I wish them well. The USBL's one of the first semi-pro basketball leagues I saw from start up.

However after these last 2 seasons of turmoil and false promises they
still have a long way to go, just to get back to the starting line...

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:06 pm

If a league actually has TWO teams, is it still a league?

As far as I have seen, every team except Brooklyn and Gary has folded or announced it will play in a different league....and Gary is rumored for the IBL isn't it?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:55 am

I'd look for Kansas, Oklahoma and Dodge City to come together and start a new league. There was some talk (just talk) of a team in Wichita. If you can get three teams to go with the three left, you've got a good start.
I nominate Hays, KS, Grand Island NE, and Hutchinson, KS. All three have good venues and basketball traditions (Gross Coliseum, seats 4,000; I don't know the name of the new GI arena, seats about 4,000; and the Hutchinson Sports Arena, seats 5,000, and Salt Hawk Activities Center, seats about 2,500 and air conditioned)

If Wichita is the new team, I'd go to Newman University. It only seats about 2,000, but it does so comfortably. Easy on/off Kellogg (US 54).
Last edited by nksports on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Gross Coliseum seats 7000
Newman seats 1200 (If it held 2000 it would be perfect)

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:36 pm

TEN - can you give us any update......................anything

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:45 am

[quote=""TEN""]Gross Coliseum seats 7000
Newman seats 1200 (If it held 2000 it would be perfect)[/quote]

Gross doesn't seem that big. It does have a great feel for the fans. Kind of an on-top-of-the-action feel.

The problem with Wichita venues is KS Coliseum and new arena both are waaaay too big. Century II is about the right size (the old GBA Outlaws played there, but rent is very high).

Friends is about the right size, but not very comfortable. Newman is small, but comfortable (don't let the ABA hear about it).

Another candidate that comes to mind is White Auditorium in Emporia. The town is a lot smaller than Salina or Dodge, but the arena (when full) rocks.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:23 pm

Actually, Emporia is a little bigger than Dodge City (and that doesn't include the 5,000 or so students at ESU). I scouted out that building and thought it would be a perfect USBL site. It is one the best places I've been to to watch a basketball game.

Here's what I know about what's up with the Midwest in the USBL....

Not much!

Oklahoma is most likely done...

Kansas and Dodge City are trying to find somewhere else to play and have met recently to figure out something. There is also a group in Wichita that is interested in doing something in conjunction with Kansas and DC. I couldn't make it to the most recent meeting and have not talked to anybody who was there. There is a new "United League" of some sort based in Texas that they have talked to, but I personally wonder how much they have going for them.

The new operation guy for the USBL, Al Mayles, is supposed to be contacting the Midwest franchises over the next week or two to see where they stand. My opinion is that they are not going to have anything to do with the USBL.

Dodge really wants to play somewhere, the owners there are pretty actively trying to put something together. Carroll Long at Kansas has an owner that really wants to do something as well.

I think that I will end up being a fan....and that's good enough for me!

Return to “USBL”