The United States Basketball League (USBL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

USBL lands big catch in the Steelheads

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:41 am

I predicted this months ago...well, it wasn't really a prediction:

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/ ... 088eef.txt

From the article above:

Harris admits a poor "business model" kept the old Steelheads from flourishing. Too many games. Playing week nights in the winter. Competing with high school ball. Poor marketing.

"With lower expenses, we can spend more money in marketing," he said. "I feel real good about this."

Me too. I feel good about the new Gary Steelheads also. Can't wait for the Draft party. I miss that sort of fun.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:52 pm

I agree with Harris Jr. in his view that the CBA plays too many games. Instead of playing 48 games over 16 weeks they should play 32 or 2 games per week. That would help reduce the number of week night games. He should have lobbied the league to reduce the amount of games rather than bolt after such a great season. IMO the franchise finally turned the corner and he should have fought to improve the business model along with Yakama and Albany before they expanded.

The USBL is no longer the strongest spring league, the WBA is about to take the 4 stable USBL franchises. And a 28 game season over an 8 week season will not allow for many weekend dates either.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:25 pm

[quote=""bectond""]...The USBL is no longer the strongest spring league, the WBA is about to take the 4 stable USBL franchises. And a 28 game season over an 8 week season will not allow for many weekend dates either.[/quote]

Geez-O-Pete! No, the WBA is not (I repeat, IS NOT) about to take the four stable USBL franchises. BTW, that's fact--not my opinion. Do you think Gary would join a league worse-off than the league they left? They did their homework.

USBL no longer the strongest spring league? Beats me. I've been following the Gary Steelheads the past six years in the CBA. The USBL will be a new experience for me and everyone else that follows Gary.

sportsguy12
Site Admin

USBL teams are staying put

Post by sportsguy12 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:36 pm

Yes, the USBL teams are not going anywhere. People need to read this website (and its vast amount of stories) before posting statements like that.

If you don't want to surf this site, at least read this:

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3389121

This site is second to none!

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:43 am

So it will be Gary, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Dodge City in the West. Any word on who will join Albany, Brooklyn, and Long Island in the east?

panchess
Site Admin

Scranton...

Post by panchess » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:00 pm

.. I thought the USBL had some new investors for the Scranton franchise.

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:22 pm

There was some rumor about some guy who owns a hotel in the Poconos buying the team, but nothing has ever been confirmed....

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:07 pm

I was just thinking... Does this mean that the Steelheads are no longer pursueing the D-league?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

I'm cool as long as I don't get hit upside the head with a dead octopus

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:47 am

[quote=""MJHankel""]I was just thinking... Does this mean that the Steelheads are no longer pursuing the D-league?[/quote]

Let's hope the owners of the Steelheads are pursuing minor league hockey instead. There's nothing going on with the D-league. Hockey could complement spring basketball in Gary.

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:22 pm

Well with the new rumors of the CBA dying off the Steelheads may actually look really smart next season. Seeing as how the press ripped them apart when they first announced that they were leaving the CBA.

Maybe Harris new more than fairytails about the CBA demise. They started an ABA-like business strategy with the single owner of multiple teams.

I am fine with the USBL. I just hope more concerts can happen at the Genesis Center. Including stuff of every Genre. If we want to bring in people from out of town we have to give them what they want. The Star Plaza in Merrillville does stuff for people of all interests, and all music tastes. We need to start selling to more than just Gary. I remember when there used to be events there, now it just sorta sits empty more than half the time.

What about WWE, that brings in lots of people, and Sharmel Sulivan (Queen Sharmel) is a Gary native. I am not a huge fan of WWE myself but it sells.

The Steelyard overcame the culture and race boundaries of NWI we just need more stuff to do that.

Return to “USBL”