Just when you thought the USBL was dead...

The United States Basketball League (USBL) forum
Minor League Man
Site Admin

Just when you thought the USBL was dead...

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:01 pm

http://www.usbl.com/currentNews.php?news_id=245

Wow...Good to see they're still around, I guess...Wish they'd focus more with the league at home before going overseas...
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 am

WOW....Most people on this site know that I am a USBL guy....

I have one thing to say...

WOW!

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:44 am

I love how this guy is going to 'explore' exhibition games between USBL and KBL teams. There are no USBL teams......
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:55 pm

That's right....Right now, there are no USBL teams...It was a long spring for fans in Dodge City, Enid and Salina. I've not heard a word about this....but am planning on calling the league office to find out what's up.

tops804
Site Admin

Some more news from the USBL.

Post by tops804 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:17 am

http://www.usbl.com/currentNews.php?news_id=246
MILFORD, CT — (July 22 200 8) United States Basketball League (OTCBB: USBL) will launch its marketing campaign in this week’s Wall Street Journal and Barron’s publications. The USBL is in discussions with several potential ownership groups and the league believes continuing with an aggressive and proactive approach to attracting new investors is the best way to reach its growth potential and increase the sale of expansion teams.
What was the last USBL expansion team to really last for a while and be
considered a success? In fact, some recent aggressive expansion seemed
to really hurt the league.
Our primary marketing strategy objective is the addition of expansion teams to the USBL The national exposure will help increase awareness across the country, but the USBL will remain focused on selecting only those investors who recognize the value of the twenty-three year old professional basketball league and the importance placed on maintaining rational budgets. While expanding current divisions nationally, with a focus in the Midwestern and Northeastern regions remains the primary objective for 2009, the USBL Commissioner Daniel Meisenheimer already sees enough interest to consider a third division next season.
To the USBL's credit, expanding from three teams shouldn't be to difficult.

I give the league some credit for trying to come up with a blueprint this far
in advance. With the WBA not seeming to want to move forward, maybe
hope would lie in some of its markets. Based in the South and New England
region for most of its lifetime. Can this league ever be expected to truly
be a United States blanket league?

If memory serves, after the 1989 hiatus. The league planned one team, for
every NBA team. That goal obviously never came close to reality.

What are other peoples thoughts for the number of teams the USBL should
have in 2009? I'm stuck on six. See how it goes, and move from there.
Adios, OSC message boards. (2007-2017)

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Right now, the USBL doesn't have any teams....Dodge, Kansas and Oklahoma have absolutely no interest in going back to that league.

BreakersFan
Site Admin

Post by BreakersFan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:21 am

[quote=""TEN""]Right now, the USBL doesn't have any teams....Dodge, Kansas and Oklahoma have absolutely no interest in going back to that league.[/quote]

My thought exactly. The USBL can add one team and will have grown 100%.

Here's the best part: “Due to increased interest in other geographical regions, preliminary steps are underway to add a third division."

A third division? What teams are in the first two? What a shame for a once respected brand. I am sure that ownership groups are lining up to pay $100,000 to a league that skipped last season and has no teams.

Also, the entire nation must have missed that WSJ publicity push. As a matter of fact, the WSJ did too..... If you go to the WSJ site and search for news by stock symbol, you'll find no ads or news coverage of the USBL.....
Last edited by BreakersFan on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHulk
Site Admin

Usbl

Post by TheHulk » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:49 am

I understand that the league is "bleeding" pretty badly right now. But, with a 23-year history behind it, I'm willing to have a wait and see attitude about them. Believe me I've tinkered with the idea of having an USBL team here in this part of Florida. When it's up and going it's a pretty decent product and a good business model. Yes, when a team folds it does make the league "look bad", but this model that they've used has been utilized for 23-years; something has to be said about that.

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Any current news on the USBL?

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:50 am

I have a news feed that goes with my stocks, I had the USBL on my watch list from back in 2002. One day early in Jan or late Dec a news alert popped up about how they were still gearing up and lining up expansion teams. They have hired a a company to do the marketing and find franchisee's to run teams.

I meant to post it............I'll try and find it.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Return to “USBL”