CBA / NBDL Merger

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
mzracing76
Site Admin

CBA / NBDL Merger

Post by mzracing76 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:10 pm

what would it mean to have a merger of both leagues. I know its a long shot, but think about this scenerio. Use the More Marketable Minor League Name (CBA). with all the history behind it, and you could have 26 teams. nearly enough for every NBA team.

I know this is a long shot, cause both leagues dont see eye to eye, but I think this would be better for the fans.

this year:
CBA = 10 / 12 teams playing
NBDL = 14 teams playing
total of 24 teams in the Top Two Minor League's Combined.

MZ

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:02 pm

The NBA could buy out the CBA if they really wanted to, and if the CBA was really interested in selling.

Apparently they are tired of trying to work out a deal every year. Since His Holiness Sternicus I is pushing for one D-League team per NBA team (which virtually all of us here agree with), you would think merging makes sense.

But if NBA owners are going to own their own D-League team, I'm sure they want some input as to the city the team is in. That wouldn't bode well for merging the two leagues.

It would say the CBA is firmly planted as the #2 minor league, but their prestige would be far less in about 5 years if the D-League expands to 29-30 teams.

one way
Site Admin

why

Post by one way » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:45 pm

here is something to think about. If the NBA has all of this money and all of this power and all of this prestige- why do we not have more NBDL teams. The NBA could easily spend the money, put a team anywhere they want. Reality, their teams are expensive and they lose to much money.

Chuck the Writer
Site Admin

Post by Chuck the Writer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:11 pm

The D-League and the CBA are essentially two different types of minor league circuits. The D-League players are young men playing out essentially their fifth or sixth years of college, learning the pro game on a level without having tons of scrutiny on the NBA level (which can do a lot of damage if you're not properly conditioned for same, think Korleone Young).

The CBA has a mixture of rookies and veterans, all of whom are capable of playing a roll in the NBA.

The D-League already effectuated their own merger two years ago when they poached Dakota, Idaho, Sioux Falls and Colorado to join them. Those teams are currently the strongest franchises in the D-League, and teams like Arkansas and Fort Worth are either relocating or giving up the ghost.

The real test of which league is better prepared will take place in Rio Grande Valley, when the Silverados (CBA) and the Vipers (D-League) try to see which team is stronger in that region.

Besides, it's unlikely that the two leagues would ever merge at this point. There was an attempt by the NBA in 2000 to get the CBA, the IBL and the ABA to all merge into one 24-team minor league, but someone in the ABA (gee, I wonder who?) put the kibosh on the merger, claiming that the ABA was not a "minor league" and wouldn't consider merging with those leagues.

And if the two leagues merged, what would happen to the 7-point standings rule, the no-foul-out rule, and several other rule variations between the two circuits? What would happen to the CBA's stats and records, would they just disappear in a merger - or, for that matter, would the D-League's stats disappear the other way?

Yeah, it's great to think about what a merger like that would create, but let's not forget that in minor league baseball, the PCL and the IL operate just fine without any inter-league series.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Well, the mistake was any talk of working with the ABA.

I agree with Chuck, the D-League recruits different types and ages of players. At this time it would be better to keep a cordial professional relationship because CBA players will still get callups until the D-League gets a team for each NBA team, maybe still get callups. Wouldn't be that bad a gesture to post CBA scores on NBATV.

Nothing wrong with a solid minor league trying out different rule changes for the NBA anyway. Remember when the D-League tried that ridiculous rule where the 3 point line didn't count until the last two minutes of each period?

What I'd rather see right now is the D-League get their full amount of teams, then work arrangements with any legit summer minor league to give their second stringers some work. Maybe in 4 or 5 years the USBA, and/or Magician's southern league yet to be named, would have proven themselves and such a deal would make total sense.

That seems to make a lot of sense. It takes constant rapport with the NBA, which is tough given the problems they have allowed with corrupt officials.

BTW, anyone have an idea what happened to Phil Evans? I know he left the D-League to stay away from New York since the D-League moved their league office up north. I was wondering what he's up to now?

panchess
Site Admin

I would like to see the CBA go a bit more their way..

Post by panchess » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:22 pm

..with higher salaries (for at least one or two players on each team) and a larger focus on veterans as opposed to development. Compete less with the D-League (a competition the CBA can't win as long as the D-League is the official development league of the NBA) and more for Euroleague for "name" veteran talent.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:43 pm

The CBA average market is getting smaller, not larger.

Name European talent gets paid MUCH better in Europe than the CBA promises.

The D-League really has more value to the NBA for player development than it does ticket sales (especially once the NBA owners finally realize this). The CBA isn't much better off on the ticket sales argument.

Can the CBA do what the IBL does, only with more fans and a more traditional schedule? I'm thinking that if Pikeville is involved, and THAT works, regionalization is the order of the day. The market size issue already begs for that.

bomp
Site Admin

Post by bomp » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:41 am

[quote=""Pounder""]Can the CBA do what the IBL does, only with more fans and a more traditional schedule? [/quote]

Pounder, what do you mean by this?
Unique ideas lead to prison. Don't name your son after a baseball glove. "Listen dude, do you really want the SEX??"

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:08 pm

More smaller markets in relatively geographically compact regions. Less travel outside the region.

This obviously means the price of entry goes down. It's tasking the CBA with being a basketball business more than a franchise business. That might be more than most owners want to swallow (being legitimate and all, anyway).

Heck, I don't think the future of the D-League is in building fan bases.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:59 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Heck, I don't think the future of the D-League is in building fan bases.[/quote]

I don't think so either. At first I couldn't see thirty D-League teams (one for every NBA team), but now I can. Each D-League team will probably play in whatever practice facility the parent club uses. The general public may or may not be invited to watch these games depending on team policy.

There's no way we will see thirty D-League teams in 5,000+ seat arenas though.

Return to “D-League”