New Franchises for 08-09???

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:18 pm

Fargo is discussing putting a 6,500 seat arena as an addition to the Fargo Dome... main tenant of course being NDSU but I think that if a DLeague team would be willing to work around it that they could get a favorable lease for a new arena.....

Rapid City's new 5,600 arena to be added on to the existing Civic Center which already consist of a 9,500 seat arena is coming along well and is expected to be done by November of 08.....

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:07 am

Now that we are getting started or close to started with the D-league I think we can start reporting actual rumors of franchises set to start in 08-09.... I have heard of Reno which I think is pretty much a given, Omaha I have heard has everything in place and last I heard was in the process of getting approved by the league and my source said don't expect any hold ups in that department.... I have heard that the Tribe in Yakima is in financial trouble its on the CBA board and I have heard it from other people.... I think if Yakima closes shop the league needs to get there asap... you could be looking at a big market and possibly bigger if the Sonics leave, (Vancuver, Yakima, Spokane and Seattle) I heard that the league was looking at another Colorado team.... I would guess either, Loveland, Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs if it was the case..... I think that Kansas City and St. Louis would be great possibilities both teams want NBA teams and the NBA could make one of those mentions saying you support a D-league team and you will get high consideration towards a NBA team (I don't know what those cities have for mid-sized arena's though)

I would like the d-league to add 5-8 franchises in 08-09 with out loosing any....

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Reno and Omaha may get teams, but they won't last for long; Dana Altman's Creighton program will kill the Omaha team, and I give a Reno team similarly dismal prospects against Nevada.

You don't want Yakima. If the tribe failed, no one else will be able to make it up there.

I'm not sure your strategy would work in KC or St. Louis either-that usually only works in towns that have zero or one major league team. Otherwise, minor league teams tend to get drowned out.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:59 pm

[quote=""rams80""]Reno and Omaha may get teams, but they won't last for long; Dana Altman's Creighton program will kill the Omaha team, and I give a Reno team similarly dismal prospects against Nevada.

You don't want Yakima. If the tribe failed, no one else will be able to make it up there.

I'm not sure your strategy would work in KC or St. Louis either-that usually only works in towns that have zero or one major league team. Otherwise, minor league teams tend to get drowned out.[/quote]

If you read he article on Yakima the tribe is loosing money else ware...... Yakima is a gold mine they have lead CBA attendances for years even with a bad league they still average good numbers..... Omaha could work there is enough people there to make it work Creighton won't help but if they have smart business people they should be able to make them coexist... Reno I agree with you there the ABA hasn't had luck at all there I would think Las Vegas would be better.... Kansas City would work no problem I think there is a relatively small arena on Kansas side of the river that could work.... You have Kansas City football but no Hockey no NBA so Dleague could work.... St. Louis does have NHL and would be tougher I agree with you there.....

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:40 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]If you read he article on Yakima the tribe is loosing money else ware...... Yakima is a gold mine they have lead CBA attendances for years even with a bad league they still average good numbers.....[/quote]

Annnnd they're losing money. If it was a gold mine, the team would not be going belly up now, wouldn't it.
Omaha could work there is enough people there to make it work Creighton won't help but if they have smart business people they should be able to make them coexist...
There are only so many basketball/sports entertainment dollars in Omaha. There are probably not enough for two basketball teams to co-exist.
Reno I agree with you there the ABA hasn't had luck at all there I would think Las Vegas would be better....

Actually, I'd give the Reno team better odds, honestly. ABA means nothing.
Kansas City would work no problem I think there is a relatively small arena on Kansas side of the river that could work.... You have Kansas City football but no Hockey no NBA so Dleague could work.... St. Louis does have NHL and would be tougher I agree with you there.....
Major League markets like Kansas City and St. Louis have a tendency to see minor league teams as being "beneath" them, and will therefore not support them. That would be a bigger problem to overcome than I think you are making it out to be. Besides, folks on the Kansas side of KC would probably prefer to go into Lawrence to watch Kansas.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:11 pm

[quote=""rams80""]Annnnd they're losing money. If it was a gold mine, the team would not be going belly up now, wouldn't it.

There are only so many basketball/sports entertainment dollars in Omaha. There are probably not enough for two basketball teams to co-exist.

Actually, I'd give the Reno team better odds, honestly. ABA means nothing.

Major League markets like Kansas City and St. Louis have a tendency to see minor league teams as being "beneath" them, and will therefore not support them. That would be a bigger problem to overcome than I think you are making it out to be. Besides, folks on the Kansas side of KC would probably prefer to go into Lawrence to watch Kansas.[/quote]

I still think Yakima would be a great fit for minor league basketball... at least attendance wise maybe the sponsors aren't there and other stuff like that.... I agree with you on big cities I have been dead against going out east but I know people from Kansas City and they all say they want something I knew a guy that went from cloud nine when the penguins were going to move there to dumpster when it was announced that they wouldn't.... Omaha I don't know I have heard what you have heard that it would never work with Creighton but then there are others that say it would work great.... All what I am saying is I have heard that there will be a team there....

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:21 am

There is a difference between getting a NHL team like the Penguins and a mere D-League team.

-tony-o

-Chuck the Writer

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 am

[quote=""rams80""]There is a difference between getting a NHL team like the Penguins and a mere D-League team.[/quote]

Is there???? ;)

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:24 pm

[quote=""jjbballfan""]Is there???? ;) [/quote]

Ummm yes....The NHL has many more fans, and a much higher status, than the D-League ever will.

-tony-o

-Chuck the Writer

Crystal Ball
Site Admin

Post by Crystal Ball » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:22 pm

How soon you all forget....The TOP 4 Teams last year all came from the CBA the year before....Dakota,Sioux Falls,Idaho Stampede,Colorado...Best Teams with best Attendance figures...So before you start knocking the CBA as a bad League just remember where the D-League goes to get their established Teams....I can see there method ..Take the Top Teams from the CBA and they will go away....Well lets see what happens this year in The Rio Grand Valley market...You have two teams going after the same dollar...Two Teams in ONE market...Only time will tell... :eek:

Return to “D-League”