New Franchises for 08-09???

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
#1 T-Birds Fan
Site Admin

Post by #1 T-Birds Fan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:19 pm

I still dont think there fan base will be that big. Most of there population could care less about sports.

I just hope we dont lose our team : /
Farewell Coop....you made a great run.

Coach Cooper's gang- "2006 D-League Champs"

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:07 am

I think if Rapid City gets a Dleague team to stay for 3 years that it will be top of the league with attendance.... The Thrillers averaged over 6000 in attendance before the owner moved the team, the teams that came afterwards were 1 year and done and poorly managed....

Does anybody remember how these teams did off the court....

Wyoming Wildcattlers (Casper?)

LaCrosse Catbirds- I know the Rimrockers planned on moving there but the arena was being a joke don't know why....

Omaha Racers- heard that if Iowa does good with attendance this year that they will have a team next year personally i would put the team across the river in Council Bluff but that is me.

Witchita Falls Texans-- I would be guessing that it would be another option to were Cuban plans on putting his Dleague team at

Tri-City Chinook-- personally I would like to see this team be added if they got Yakima but that is me....

Here is a run down on 3 cities that have been overlooked because of size but I think would really work

Rapid City SD... 60,000-2 joint venues (9500 and 5800)... Past franchises were the Thrillers, Posse, and Gold however the CBA Thrillers were a step above the rest on and off the court... The CBA Thrillers averaged over 6,000 fans one year. Dead beat owners have killed the city allowing for 07 to be the first time in 15+ years that however a CHL team plans to start next season. Biggest competition would be the Hockey team, and a NAIA basketball team.

Sioux City IA... 85,000 a newer Gateway Arena (10,000)... No real past basketball franchises. Was one of the original USHL hockey teams which would be the biggest competition and 2 NAIA colleges. Also had good attendances in Indoor Football... Located right between Omaha and Sioux Falls puts it in a great place geographically..

Casper Wyoming... 50,000 7,200 seat arena, I believe the Wildcattlers of the old CBA played there... Have represented the Calvary in the pathetic NIFL really well.... No real competition that I know....
Last edited by jjbballfan on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:10 pm

according to that article on the cavs the league plans on starting to announce franchises for the 08-09 season.... any guesses
Reno NV--- 99%
Toledo OH-- 90%
Youngstown OH--90%
Frisco TX--- 80%
Omaha NE--- 75%
Those are the only ones that I have heard has anybody heard any hard information that would lead me to believe that the Dleague is coming to there city?
Last edited by jjbballfan on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:36 am

[quote=""jjbballfan""]according to that article on the cavs the league plans on starting to announce franchises for the 08-09 season.... any guesses
Reno--- 99%
Toledo-- 90%
Youngstown--90%
Ft. Worth--- 80%
Omaha--- 75%
Those are the only three that I have heard has anybody heard any hard information that would lead me to believe that the Dleague is coming to there city?[/quote]

This list looks about right for the next wave of expansion; however, Frisco Texas and not Fort Worth will be the entering the league next year.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:04 am

[quote=""bectond""]This list looks about right for the next wave of expansion; however, Frisco Texas and not Fort Worth will be the entering the league next year.[/quote]

aren't they in the same metro area? I'll change it though....

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Same metro area, awfully far away from each other... not necessarily as the crow flies, but Lake Lewisville separates Frisco and that area north of Dallas from the riff-raff.

I say that with a tinge of sadness, because I consider FC Dallas poorly located there. Perhaps things will improve as the tollway is finished, but I'm not holding my breath.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:02 pm

I put this list on a different thread but just wanted to see what you guys thought about it... The reason I wouldn't put a team in Oklahoma is because I would wait until I figured out if they could support a team if/when the Sonics move to OKC

D-league franchises
Albuquerque NM- Suns
Austin TX- Spurs
Bakersfield CA- Clippers
Broomfield CO- Nuggets
Bismark ND- Wizards
Fort Wayne- Detroit
Boise ID- Warriors
Des Moines IA- Bulls
Ontario CA- Lakers--(suburb of LA where they plan to move)
RGV TX- Rockets
Sioux Falls SD- Wolves
Orem UT- Jazz

Expected D-league expansion franchises
Frisco TX- Mavericks (expected expansion team)
Reno NV- Kings (expected expansion team)
Youngstown OH- Cavs (expected expansion team)
Toledo OH- Pacers (expected expansion team)
Harlem NY- Knicks (expted expansion team in 2 years)

CBA Franchises
Albany NY- Nets
Yakima WA- Sonics
Pikeville KY- Hawks (see how they do)

Others
Tri-City WA- Blazers
Council Bluffs IA- Heat (across the river from Omaha same metro area)
Rapid City SD- Celtics
Casper WY- Grizzlies
Witchita Falls TX- Hornets
Sioux City IA- Bobcats
La Crosse WI- Bucks (if there venue can get real)
Colorado Springs CO- Sixers
Buffalo NY- Raptors
St. George UT- Magic

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:52 pm

reports are that the Dleague is expected to start announcing expansion franchises in the next few weeks. So I ask what do you guys think will happen. I am thinking that there will be 6 new franchises, and at least 1 relocation (either Tulsa, Anaheim or possibly Arkansas if you consider that relocation) I think the new franchises will come from these cities in order from most likely
Reno NV
Toledo OH
Youngstown OH
Frisco TX
Omaha NE
Kansas City MO
St. Louis MO
Cincinnati OH
Buffalo NY
Harlem NY-- (more likely in the 09-10 year)

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Writer's Opinion on a St. George D-League Team...

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:35 pm

This writer thinks that it should be St. George that got the Flash in the first place. Here's the link from the local St. George Spectrum:

Utah's D-League Team Should Be Here (in St. George)

What does the one commenter mean by "rookie league team?" Are they referring to the IBL team that nearly played in St. George?

I think a D-League/CBA/IBL team would work out, if the owners were committed enough to put a team in the local college's (Dixie State) Burns Arena (Dixie St., I hear, was very cooperative in letting the Roadrunners use Hurst Field; scheduling aside, Burns Arena should be easy as well to inhabit). Back to topic, however; the reason why the botched IBL "St. George Heat" never materialized was probably that the owners were based in Las Vegas and people had little or no clue as to who they were, either. There wasn't much media hype around it, either.

If an owner is willing to put a D-League team in Southern Utah (St. George) and make it work out, then they would need to advertise, giving the team more exposure. I feel that the Roadrunners aren't being exposed enough (but I could be wrong here). They would need to be committed to the St. George market, long-term, and have rather deep pockets. The reason why the WBL's Pioneerzz folded after 3 seasons is that there were some poor decisions made near the top, or so I hear. If the D-League, CBA, or IBL can work out and not only survive but thrive in markets such as Great Falls, Bismark, Minot, and who knows where else like this, then it would most certainly work out in one of the nation's fastest growing cities (St. George).
Last edited by LandRoverUT60 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 pm

[quote=""LandRoverUT60""]This writer thinks that it should be St. George that got the Flash in the first place. Here's the link from the local St. George Spectrum:

Utah's D-League Team Should Be Here (in St. George)

What does the one commenter mean by "rookie league team?" Are they referring to the IBL team that nearly played in St. George?

I think a D-League/CBA/IBL team would work out, if the owners were committed enough to put a team in the local college's (Dixie State) Burns Arena (Dixie St., I hear, was very cooperative in letting the Roadrunners use Hurst Field; scheduling aside, Burns Arena should be easy as well to inhabit). Back to topic, however; the reason why the botched IBL "St. George Heat" never materialized was probably that the owners were based in Las Vegas and people had little or no clue as to who they were, either. There wasn't much media hype around it, either.

If an owner is willing to put a D-League team in Southern Utah (St. George) and make it work out, then they would need to advertise, giving the team more exposure. I feel that the Roadrunners aren't being exposed enough (but I could be wrong here). They would need to be committed to the St. George market, long-term, and have rather deep pockets. The reason why the WBL's Pioneerzz folded after 3 seasons is that there were some poor decisions made near the top, or so I hear. If the D-League, CBA, or IBL can work out and not only survive but thrive in markets such as Great Falls, Bismark, Minot, and who knows where else like this, then it would most certainly work out in one of the nation's fastest growing cities (St. George).[/quote]

I don't know if this is a major paper but when local papers get involved it puts an idea in the heads of local businessmen. Burns arena is the perfect size for a Dleague team I personally think arenas should be in the 4-12 thousand seat arena but that 5-8 is perfect. I think the people of Utah would like to see a team in St. George to be a rival of the Flash.... One thing I would like to see with the expansion is tieing it all in to develop rivalries instead of going to the Northeast like David Stern always says.

Return to “D-League”