New Franchises for 08-09???

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:21 am

When are the franchise announcements going to start?

Right now I got the Cavaliers buying there own franchise to be placed probably in Erie PA, or less likely Youngstown

Toronto wavering on whether they should or not, somewhere in Ontario though I think Buffalo would be a great fit for them....

Toledo I have heard

Reno... there was an announcement on the local radio station saying that SW basketball LLC was going to place a franchise there but I haven't heard much since

Manchester NH has applied to the Dleague

Rumors are Cuban will buy a team and place it in Frisco

I heard a lot of buzz about this time last year of a team to be placed in Omaha but I haven't heard anything since....

There was an article in the Des Moines Register saying that there is ownership groups in Kansas City, St. Louis, and Cincinnati that were looking to see how a team did in a bigger city, don't know if there was truth or just the local paper trying to hype up the Dleague.....

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Post by ChumpDumper » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:38 am

Dan Reed said he expected two teams to be added next season.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:41 am

Manchester will most likely not be let in.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:50 am

[quote=""ChumpDumper""]Dan Reed said he expected two teams to be added next season.[/quote]

I'm going to guess 4 but its a guess

Youngstown/Erie (Cavs affiliate wherever they place there team)
Reno
Frisco
Toledo

I would say 3 most likely and Frisco a possibility unless Cuban just bought an existing franchise or decided to wait a year or 2 which is possible....

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Dag-Nab It...

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Good News for Reno, Manchester, Toledo/Youngstown/Erie, and Frisco(?), but no St. George. :?

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm

[quote=""LandRoverUT60""]Good News for Reno, Manchester, Toledo/Youngstown/Erie, and Frisco(?), but no St. George. :? [/quote]

They won't put in a team that close to Orem.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Let me expand on rams' comment with a Boise blog entry...

[quote=""Brian Murphy, Idaho Statesman""]5:18 p.m. -- With its win today, Austin is now 14-5. Los Angeles is 14-4.

What do the two teams have in common?

They are the only D-League franchises owned and operated by NBA teams. Austin is owned by San Antonio; The Lakers own the L.A. D-Fenders.

In both cases, the D-League teams run the same offenses and defenses as their parent clubs and use the same terminology. That makes it easy for players moving up or down.

D-League president Dan Reed said there is no single model for how teams in his league should operate. But I think NBA clubs would be wise to consider owning their affiliates or, at least, partnering very closely with them.[/quote]

The logic in this is stunning in its simplicity. That's why distance is going to be a prime factor in future placements IMO, if more NBA teams grow a brain.

St. George very likely won't happen unless Orem fails. Even then, I suggest it's the wrong move.

The main reason you see me and bectond spouting off occasionally... USA is already falling behind other countries in this sport. My contention is that staying wed to the "college as minors" model will cause NBA teams to fall behind as well. In the rest of the world, the coaches are teaching the players in the youth system AND the kids have access to the better players in order to better their games that way. College coaching is 90% recruiting, and since the NCAA has strict limitations on the time spent in practice, they are more focused on existing skills than on teaching new ones. The only other countries who use a college model: Canada and South Korea. You be the judge.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:08 am

First of all I am sick of this distance bs....... most AAA clubs in baseball aren't close and a lot of times when a player is called up from AAA he will play as soon as he comes up, something that isn't a big deal in basketball..... I think rather then having NBA clubs own teams because I think there is some issues there that aren't yet figured out I think they should lease them like baseball does so the team is locally owned (best way for minor league clubs to be owned) but the parent club is in charge of coaching and the style they play.... This can't happen until of course we add a few more teams.... Boston has sent 2 players to Utah and hasn't complained, other teams have sent players a fair distance and haven't complained then there are some teams (the Kincks) that would complain if they had to send a guy across town.....

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 am

To be in the here and now for the moment... the NBA isn't exactly pulling big market shares outside current markets. The distance issue is front and center because the fans have shown their cards.

Baseball's fortune is that USA and Japan are the only "rich" countries that have strong professional leagues. MLB teams don't have to compete with others for talent. I doubt Europe will ever change the dynamic there, frankly. That's your apples.

Basketball is getting pretty big everywhere else. Could Euro clubs start attracting top-flight American talent? Probably not in 10 years, but at the rate the economy is going, who knows? I'd say, by the way things are going, them's your oranges.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

HKF
Site Admin

Post by HKF » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Cedar Rapids possibly getting a D-League team as well? I just read this at the Sporting News and it's from someone who seems real dialed in to Iowa sports, so I wonder if this is accurate. If it is, it stands to reason that Omaha is probably not going to happen now and they make shoot instead for Topeka, KS.

I have great news for Cedar Rapids Sports Fans: The will get an NBA D-League Franchise Next Fall to play against the Iowa Energy. I hope to at least say if I had the chance to name the Team, I would call it the Cedar Rapids Railroaders because we have plenty of Trains in the Area or my 2nd Choice would be the Cedar Rapids Mechanics as a tribute to the Blue Collar Attitude Cedar Rapids still exhibits and I hope that it would be a tribute to our local racers, current and former such as Johnny Spaw, Brad Loney and Landon Cassill,
because If I had to select the Colors for the Home Colors, I would prefer a Jefferson Blue (The Actual Color is Columbia Blue), Carolina Blue, Drake Relays Blue, or the Old Golden State Gold and try to mimic "The City" headline from their Old Jerseys and instead of a Cable Car in the Center and the Number, I'd hope it would be a Coal Powered Train Front and the Number right in the Center would be my alternate choice. Either way it would be a fun uniform.

Return to “D-League”