New Franchises for 08-09???

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
S.Sox
Site Admin

Post by S.Sox » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:58 pm

I heard on Monday while trying to find the ABA's Reno Shaprshooters practice , that Reno will get a D-League team in 2008.

I heard Ethan O'Bryant (ABA coach, Harlem Globetrotter, Former NBA'er)talking to someone stating they will play at the new Reno Events Center with affliation to the Sac Kings.

Done deal, venue signed.

http://www.visitrenotahoe.com/facilitie ... o_gallery/

S.Sox
Last edited by S.Sox on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AConcernedCitizen
Site Admin

Post by AConcernedCitizen » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:04 pm

Spokane?

Pittsburgh?

Buffalo?

If the East Coast NBA clubs are to be involved they've got to move a bit east...

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Reno is old news but I don't think the D-league can work in the east.... In the east there is always something going on generally more attractive then minor league basketball.... If you put the franchises in mid-west its the talk of the town it gets sponsor's gets local television coverage and gets a fan base.... I still think if the D-league wants to be something the mid-west is where to go.

OneBetter
Site Admin

Post by OneBetter » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:52 pm

If the NBA really established the D-League as their AAA-equivalent level league, then I think it could work in the east. There are many successful AAA baseball teams and AHL hockey teams on the East Coast.

The problem is that currently the D-League is not really AAA level. A triple-A league is supposed to have all the best players that are just shy of the skill sets of those up in the majors. This is not really true in the D-League. There are many European leagues with better tallent. Until the NBA pays these guys enough to stay in the US and play in the D-League, it will never be successful because it will never have the "next best" tallent.
The ABA and OSC have a lot in common.

AConcernedCitizen
Site Admin

Post by AConcernedCitizen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:05 pm

I think I agree with that statement. Is there a Mission Statement for the D-League that the NBA has posted?

I see where the Ft Wayne team is playing in a 12,000 seat arena. I don't understand that logic--if you put even 6,000 people in there it will not have a great atmosphere. Maybe there is no where else to play.

Are D-League games entertaining and is there parity and genuine competition?

Need to see one of these games. But how? Fly to Boise?

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:44 pm

[quote=""AConcernedCitizen""]I think I agree with that statement. Is there a Mission Statement for the D-League that the NBA has posted?

I see where the Ft Wayne team is playing in a 12,000 seat arena. I don't understand that logic--if you put even 6,000 people in there it will not have a great atmosphere. Maybe there is no where else to play.

Are D-League games entertaining and is there parity and genuine competition?

Need to see one of these games. But how? Fly to Boise?[/quote]

Fort Wayne only has the one arena.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Post by ChumpDumper » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Need to see one of these games. But how? Fly to Boise?
Where are you?

I agree that arenas much over 4-5,000 seats isn't going to be great for any minor league basketball team. Of course, I'd feel the same about minor league hockey, but the Fort Wayne Komets had a listed average attendance of over 7,000 last season.

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:07 pm

[quote=""OneBetter""]If the NBA really established the D-League as their AAA-equivalent level league, then I think it could work in the east. There are many successful AAA baseball teams and AHL hockey teams on the East Coast. [/quote]

Just a note, minor league basketball will NEVER do as good as baseball.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:35 am

I wonder if the D-League has designs on putting a team in Canada to act as the Raptors' affiliate? Not that I'm sure there's anyone with the cash in Saskatoon to purchase a team in the D-League, but I'd certainly love to see a team here again. I highly doubt it would happen and last, since we all saw what happened with the Hawks. As disappointing as it is, winter basketball doesn't work too well in Saskatoon.

The only way it could work is if they played at the PAC on the U of S campus. That facility (hard to call it an arena or a gym since its in-between) seats around 3,000 and would be better for a team than playing in an 11,000 seat arena. The only problem would be they could have no Friday or Saturday night games, as one of the U of S basketball and volleyball teams play every weekend all winter. Plus the month of December would be out likely, as they use the PAC for writing exams. The only day that the team could play at home during December would be on Sundays as there is exams Monday-Saturday running at 9, 2 and 7 PM. So they couldn't even clean the tables and chairs out in the evenings for games.

I think the best bet for a successful franchise for me might be to hope the IBL finds someone who's a little more solid to put a team here. Summer basketball seems to draw fairly well here and the Credit Union Centre might be willing to give them a cheaper rent as it keeps money flowing into their pockets instead of sitting dark most of the summer.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:12 am

I think if the situation was right Canada would get a NBDL team but the Dleague isn't going to put a team up there just so the raptors can have an affiliate....

The reason minor league baseball works is because of 1 word "prospects" die hard yankees fans love to go watch a AAA or a AA game just to see the future..... Basketball will never get a true minor league system the money just doesn't work out guarentee contracts mean you perform now or you sit on the end of the bench and smile when the camera is there. if the nba wanted to make the dleague great they could just look at what baseball has done.... but again its a different sport baseball players need a minor league system alot more then basketball players do generally a top prospect takes 2-5 years to make it to the parent program with basketball that just cant happen.

Return to “D-League”