New Franchises for 08-09???

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:41 pm

I just looked at ticket prices and see that the Vipers cheapest tickets are the Silverados most expensive... So I could see that maybe the Silverados will have a higher attendance, but I wouldn't say they'll make more revenue.. I think January 16th will be the true test, as that's the first time they play at home on the same night..

Crystal Ball
Site Admin

Post by Crystal Ball » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:40 pm

I doubt One date is going to make it or break it either way for each Franchise. ;)

ChumpDumper
Site Admin

Post by ChumpDumper » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:14 pm

The valley is a very interesting area. It's considered a small market, but there are two cities with half a million people each right across the river. I wonder how the teams are being marketed in Reynosa.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:42 am

It definitely won't make or break either team, but we'll see where the community stands on which team it'd rather watch...

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:32 am

The one big thing when having franchises in the same city is sponsors and season tickets......

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:18 am

Good point, but walk up sales matter as well, unless they do an amazing job of season sales. Even so, I'm interested to see how each team fares when they both play the same night at home.

mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:17 am

Yakima would be a very good market for the NBDL. THey have a great fan base for basketball, and are the only thing going in that town.

Dont blame the team for a lack of Ownership. The Tribe is a mess, and dont deserve to own a team. I would hope that the original ownership group (1990-1999) would buy that team back. Yakima, like Sioux Falls was always a great market.

then when Yakima gets a NBDL team, they should seriously think of putting a team in the Tri Cities area (just up the road) as a key rival for Yakima. Tri City had great fan support but had less than steller management which bankrolled the team.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:41 pm

Yakima to Seattle-- 142 Miles
Yakima to Tri City-- 77 Miles
Yakima to Spokane-- 202 Miles
Yakima to Vancuver Canada-- 276 Miles
Yakima to Boise ID-- 364 Miles

Yakima would fit in perfect and by adding an established franchise like Yakima could open a lot of franchises in a close area....
Seating capacities of local arenas
Spokane Arena-- 12,210
Tri City Toyota Center--- 5,780
Seattle has Key arena but I think there is one being built in a suburb in the 6,000 seat area
Vancuver has General Motors Palace but I also think there is another one in the area that is smaller.
Last edited by jjbballfan on Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:03 pm

From what I've seen elsewhere the town is dying. They tried to get an af2 team for the upcoming season, but they couldn't get their ducks in a row. Not a good sign. Anyway, the D-League probably could have had Yakima back when they cherry-picked the other CBA teams. They didn't. What should you concluded from that?
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

[quote=""rams80""]From what I've seen elsewhere the town is dying. They tried to get an af2 team for the upcoming season, but they couldn't get their ducks in a row. Not a good sign. Anyway, the D-League probably could have had Yakima back when they cherry-picked the other CBA teams. They didn't. What should you concluded from that?[/quote]

The D-League wanted and invited Yakima.... The Tribe who is about as worthless as they come from what I have heard A. Couldn't foot the bill and B. Didn't want to go to a league that cost more.... I don't blame them though because they averaged 5,000 people in a dead CBA over the past 2 years.

I think now the league is going to try to put teams where it is logical geographically I don't see them going much farther east then Ft. Wayne unless an NBA team buys a team and places one there.
By putting a team in Yakima you could put one in Tri-City right away and have 2 teams that would support it well if or more likely when Seattle leaves you can put a D-League team there and look at Vancouver and Spokane. Then you have 5 teams that are close geographically in a region that doesn't have much during the Winter 1 NHL team 1 NBA team 1 or 2 minor league hockey teams. by then the Dleague should be more attractive also.... I look at Omaha to tie in the midwest Witchita would also help tie the midwest in. Casper and Rapid City would fit in perfect with Bismark, Sioux Falls, and Colorado. Put 1 or more teams in Colorado could save big again with travel cost (Springs, Ft. Collins, Loveland) Put one in Tri-City NE and then you have another close team. Montana could work but college basketball and CBA are big there so I would think about waiting until going up there. Some where in Southern Utah may work and a city in Northern California would also help tie things all together. I look at Fargo-Morehead, and Winnipeg Canada as possiblities along with either LaCrosse WI or Rochester MN...

The thing the dleague has to start doing is making it more profitable and the best way to do that is by cutting travel cost. Teams that are less then 8 hours would save alot of money taking buses so I would bet now that a new franchise would be with in 8 hours of a team except WA.
Last edited by jjbballfan on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D-League”