Single elimination for the Playoffs really sucks

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:48 am

exactly, single elimination sucks. this is the Pros, not College. I liked the old format that the CBA used from 1991-1999.

First Round.........Divisional Round.......Best of Five
Second Round.....Conference Finals.....Best of Five
Third Round........League Finals..........Best of Seven

in order to win the League Championship, you had to win 10 games. Thats the way the playoffs should work at this level. Sioux Falls earned that title in 1996. we played a very good Oklahoma City Cavalry in the first round and beat them in 4 games, then went on to beat the Florida Beachdogs (Rapid City Thrillers) in the Conference Finals in a very emotional 5 game series where we beat them in game 5. that was one series i will cherish forever. We beat perhaps the best coach in the league at that time (Eric Musselman), and on his own turf. Three (3) of those games were 1 point games. and that was our #1 rival at the time going back to the RC Days.

Playoff Series creates rivalries.

Eric? when you and your coach says you are the champs by just winning the Division, i dont agree with that. that is only a Division Title. and next year when we have 16 teams, we will have 4 divisions of 4 teams. to me, division titles are nice, but they are not a League Championship. So i dont agree with Coach Jeoger on that. Yes it was nice to win the division this year cause it gave you home court for all three games, but it was just a division title. nothing special. I dont put that as a League Champion in no way shape or form. and i dont understand why you said that a playoff series screwed the CBA teams that had the better records in the past. atleast in a Playoff Series, you may be the best team, but have a bad game in game one, but you have 3 other chances to win the series. all a single game elimination type of format does is help the Hotter team win, and that team could be a team with a losing record, but is playing well at the time. Single Elination sucks, trust me. I have been to alot of Post Season games over the last 10-15 years.

Mo McHone and the Sioux Falls Skyforce are concentrated on the Big Picture, and that is the 2007-NBDL Championship.

these last two years that we made the playoffs, these have not been "TRUE" playoffs, they are a joke, but we must play the game the way the league sets them up, and we knew the rules a head of time. so we take what we get.

Hopefully next year, we get what we ask for and get Three Rounds of Playoff Series like the old days. and by what i hear, 1/2 the owners would rather want a Playoff Series. I know our players do.

MZ
Last edited by mzracing76 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:46 pm

3 rounds of 3 would be good if you go any bigger the NBA is going to complain if you cut down on the season fans are going to complain. for now a best of 3 would be good... mz what was the deal in Sioux Falls, they had one of there lowest attendences for there playoff game???

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:52 pm

[quote=""mzracing76""]
Eric? when you and your coach says you are the champs by just winning the Division, i dont agree with that. that is only a Division Title. and next year when we have 16 teams, we will have 4 divisions of 4 teams. to me, division titles are nice, but they are not a League Championship. So i dont agree with Coach Jeoger on that. Yes it was nice to win the division this year cause it gave you home court for all three games, but it was just a division title. nothing special. I dont put that as a League Champion in no way shape or form. and i dont understand why you said that a playoff series screwed the CBA teams that had the better records in the past. atleast in a Playoff Series, you may be the best team, but have a bad game in game one, but you have 3 other chances to win the series. all a single game elimination type of format does is help the Hotter team win, and that team could be a team with a losing record, but is playing well at the time. Single Elination sucks, trust me. I have been to alot of Post Season games over the last 10-15 years.
[/quote]

First off, I didn't say anything about the Wizards being champions just because they won the division. Of course there needs to be play-offs. I'm saying that since D-League teams are faced with single game eliminations, they have their work cut out for them. They know that they need to focus on winning that one game and move on. In the end, whoever wants it the most will obviously win it.

I'm not saying that play-off series are bad either. I would just prefer that they be played in a way so that the higher seed will for sure get to host the game when the trophy is hoisted. If the D-League had play-off series, I'd want them to be in a 1-2 or 2-3 format (the higher seed getting the last games), depending on how many games are played. That's what I meant by CBA teams (and NBA teams) getting ripped off - the possiblity of not hosting the potential championship game when they've earned the better record.

This year, I've got personal reasons for liking the way it is right now. I have a lot going on this month and likely wouldn't have had the money for 4-6 more games. I really don't care how they do it next year because I'm done after this season. Not forever, but no more season tickets and the only games I'll for sure attend next year will be the season opener, the New Year's Eve game, and, if they make it that far, the championship game(s). That is unless something miraculous happens like me winning the lottery, giving me the ability to skip college, retire young, and attend all the Wizards home and road games, getting from city to city with my new private jet. Now that would be nice.

This year, it is what it is. I can like something since there's no changing it, can't I?

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:36 pm

[quote=""USBasket_EricE""]First off, I didn't say anything about the Wizards being champions just because they won the division. Of course there needs to be play-offs. I'm saying that since D-League teams are faced with single game eliminations, they have their work cut out for them. They know that they need to focus on winning that one game and move on. In the end, whoever wants it the most will obviously win it.

I'm not saying that play-off series are bad either. I would just prefer that they be played in a way so that the higher seed will for sure get to host the game when the trophy is hoisted. If the D-League had play-off series, I'd want them to be in a 1-2 or 2-3 format (the higher seed getting the last games), depending on how many games are played. That's what I meant by CBA teams (and NBA teams) getting ripped off - the possiblity of not hosting the potential championship game when they've earned the better record.

This year, I've got personal reasons for liking the way it is right now. I have a lot going on this month and likely wouldn't have had the money for 4-6 more games. I really don't care how they do it next year because I'm done after this season. Not forever, but no more season tickets and the only games I'll for sure attend next year will be the season opener, the New Year's Eve game, and, if they make it that far, the championship game(s). That is unless something miraculous happens like me winning the lottery, giving me the ability to skip college, retire young, and attend all the Wizards home and road games, getting from city to city with my new private jet. Now that would be nice.

This year, it is what it is. I can like something since there's no changing it, can't I?[/quote]

I think I was the one who said that Joerger said that and that I agreed, not Eric.

The Wizards were the best team in the league, not just division winners. That shows who was able to maintain the best team throughout the season. Single-elimination playoffs (more like tournament) really screw teams like the Wizards and the Stampede, who have the best records, but could get knocked out by let's say, 24-26 Albuquerque. And I know they are underrated, but still, they're an under-.500 team. So maybe the hottest team now could be Sioux Falls (whether it is or not). They would win the championship, but did they have the best record for the whole span of the season? No, the Wizards and the Stampede did. But, one mistake and they're out and looking toward next year, hoping for a better format. This system is too unpredictable. With series (even a best-of-three), you can make a better guess at who wins and the higher seeds have a better shot. The only advantage the Wizards have is home-court advantage, which don't get me wrong, it's a good advantage, but it's not enough to make this fair.

EDIT: Then I hope you win the lottery. As for me, I hopefully still have 3 more years of Wizards basketball.

And did my post make sense? It seemed like it continued on and on without a great point.
'00-'01 IBA Champions
'01-'02 CBA Champions
'03-'04 CBA Champions
'06-'07 D-League Champions

We're coming for you Iowa!

sky1
Site Admin

Post by sky1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:00 am

I think Siouxfalls Skyforce attendance wasnt bad for a Tuesday since they started selling tickets on Monday that was only one day of sales. They would have had a much larger attendance if they had more days to sell tickets and had the game say on Friday or Saturday.

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:31 am

Ha! $100,000,000 sounds good to me. I could by the team then. How did I get started on the lottery again!

Your post made sense. I wind up going on and on about things too, but oh well. The play-offs are what they are so I guess we have to deal with it. That's all the more I'm going to post on this topic... I think.
Last edited by USBasket_EricE on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:54 am

The Asheville Altitude got a trophy and a banner for the regular season and the postseason title. Although the postseason title is the "official" title, if I was a player, I'd put "NBDL regular season champion" on my resume if it was true.

At this time of year, with competition in the arena (scheduling against more lucrative events), the D-League simply is not going to be able to reserve possible dates for each venue for potential 3 or 5 game series. It just ain't flying when the arena can schedule far more lucrative concerts or trade shows.

Until the D-League can pack the house, IF that could ever happen, they have no leverage. I personally like the "one-and-done" format because it tells fans if they want to root for their team they better show up for the game and not just say "well, I can go to game 2" and no-show. The main thing they need to do is make sure any playoff game is on a Friday or Saturday night.

Part of the reason I think the D-League should play smaller venues, like large high schools, or small college gyms, until their attendance justifies a larger barn. It's not like they'd lose more money, and the atmosphere would be far better than watching 1,500 people on TV spread out in a 10,000 seat venue.

mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:28 am

monday-tuesday-wednesday's have always been our low average attendance in the teams history for years. even when we were averaging 5000 fans, our attendance would fall 500-1000 fans a game on those days. for some reason, our fans just dont show up in big numbers during the early week night games. it averages out though.

the skyforce were only expecting around 3000 or so that game anyways.

SIGNPRO GUY? your an idiot, no Professional team like Sioux Falls and Dakota are going to play in a Highschool Gym..we get the people to fill our arena. and most these teams have a lease with the City to play in the Arena's or Civic Center's.

these are not HIghschool teams.
Last edited by mzracing76 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:05 am

SIGNPRO GUY? your an idiot

Uhhhhhh....nah, too easy...a cardboard cookie will be given to the first one who can deflate the argument by the genius above....
Last edited by SignGuyDino on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:34 pm

It is too easy. It deflates itself. You'll have to give mz the cookie. I prefer grilled salmon.

Actually, I think there's something to be said for someone NEEDING to learn to make it work in bigger buildings. Besides, no beer, no league IMO.

It's even possible that, after copious amounts of hallucinogens and other questionable substances, you could argue that Joe Newman provides a laboratory to provide that opportunity to find out what works... obviously with a cost. It seems to make some wicked sort of sense that someone would be trying to make money off an experiment instead of spending copious amounts to find out what doesn't work.

Return to “D-League”