Team Thread- Dakota Wizards

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum

Where will the Wizards finish in the East?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:57 am

1st
25%
2nd
75%
3rd
No votes
4th
No votes
5th
No votes
6th
No votes

Total votes: 4

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Golden State Warriors

Post by USBasket_EricE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:29 am

Wow, this thread has been dry for two years.

Anyone who still visits this place has probably already heard that the Wizards have been sold to the Golden State Warriors. My immediate thought? "This sucks."

I've only made it to maybe 7 or 8 games in the past three seasons, but a lot of it had to do with living 200 miles to the east during the season. Now that I'm back in Bismarck, the news that the Wizards may only have one season left in their home for the past 16 years is a hard one to swallow. These new owners didn't even keep it a secret that they want to move the Wizards to California (most likely San Jose), as it was mentioned in the press release as a possibility. I doubt they give a crap about the history here -- 4 championships in three leagues, a dedicated fan base, their presence within the community, the fact that it's the only pro basketball team remaining in North Dakota... I just don't see those Californians wanting to deal with operating a franchise in one of the coldest cities in the nation during the season, especially since it's over 1000 miles away. I can only hope there's a way to promote this news to the city, that it could be the end. But if the Warriors are behind everything, they'll do whatever they can to find a reason to move out.

A question to those who followed the ABA -- why did the San Jose Skyrockets move to Minot and what was the fan support like for the team while it was in San Jose? Can San Jose support a D-League team? Would the Warriors be better off leaving the Wizards in Bismarck?

wellington
Site Admin

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:33 pm

[quote=""USBasket_EricE""]
Can San Jose support a D-League team? Would the Warriors be better off leaving the Wizards in Bismarck?[/quote]

Probably not much of an issue. Even if the Warriors lose money on a team in San Jose, the logistics of having a farm team so close geographically trumps everything. If the San Jose D-League teams is successful off the court then it would be a win-win -- I just do not think it is the highest priority.

It would be unfortunate for Bismarck if the relocation becomes a reality. However, they are out in no mans land -- they would make a decent fit for Minnesota, but the T-Wolves are already affiliated with Sioux Falls (which is closer).

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:32 pm

That's a big problem in all minor league sports.
If you don't have a local owner your team is always
subject to a midnight move. Out of town owners just
don't care about local fans and how they may have
poured their hearts and pocketbooks out for years.

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:07 am

[quote=""DFWCC""]That's a big problem in all minor league sports.
If you don't have a local owner your team is always
subject to a midnight move. Out of town owners just
don't care about local fans and how they may have
poured their hearts and pocketbooks out for years.[/quote]

Heck sometimes it doesn't even matter if they are local or not. The truth of the matter is money talks and at the end of the day the ownership wants to make money and sometimes moving a team is/looks to be the best option.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Bottom line. You are right.
Money talks and BullS... walks.
With local ownership there always seems to be
a little more reluctance to move than from a cold
hearted corp far away in some Ivory tower.
Hell we all know than from seeing longtime local
bus sell out to some National firm only to be
closed in a yr or two.
Really HATE that.

Return to “D-League”