Team Thread- Dakota Wizards

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum

Where will the Wizards finish in the East?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:57 am

1st
25%
2nd
75%
3rd
No votes
4th
No votes
5th
No votes
6th
No votes

Total votes: 4

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:44 am

You like my posts or Eric's posts?
EDIT: Or just every Wizards fan on here?

And no, I didn't go. I was only probably 2 years old back then. And I only became a Wizards fan 6 years ago I think.

I'm not so sure why our attendance is low. It's been slowly declining the last few years. Last year it was obviously because of Dave Bliss, but this year, we've got a great coach and a great team.

It would be great if the Skyrockets were in the D-League. And since they'd be in the same division as the Wizards, I'd go to every road game in Minot that I could. And it would be somewhat similar for the Force with Rapid City too (a bit farther away, but still close).
'00-'01 IBA Champions
'01-'02 CBA Champions
'03-'04 CBA Champions
'06-'07 D-League Champions

We're coming for you Iowa!

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:07 am

I didn't know that the CBA did that back then. I believe I would have been around the ripe age of 5 during that time, but I know I never attended it. It must have been well attended because two years later, Bismarck had an IBA team. I think I attended my first basketball game at the Civic Center in 1999 during the State Tournaments and didn't attend a Wizards game until 2001, so I wasn't really a basketball fan at that time either.

I think I've cooled off a bit. Had to stop at Wendy's for a Frosty after the game and I think it's finally settled after 2 and a half hours. The Wizards are in the same place now as they were on Friday before the Ft. Worth game, so as long as they don't lose again.

I think I saw you catch Stephen Graham before the game, Bri. I attempted to catch Will Blalock and Frank Williams a little later, but Blalock didn't hear me and I really didn't want to bother him when he was concentrating on his shots during the warm-up. He needs all the practice he can get so he can get back to Detroit before the play-offs begin!!! I didn't catch Williams either, so it was a bad luck night all-around.

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:11 am

I've cooled off too. Finding Quemont Greer in an SI from a while ago helped. I doubt I'll get him to sign it, but I'm going to try.

The whole reason I looked through my entire SI collection was to find Roger Powell since I couldn't find a card of him. I found him a few times, but one was on the cover when UNC beat Illinois in the championship. I found a picture of him in one and an article about him in another so I'm hoping to catch him Tuesday night.

You wouldn't want Blalock anyway (He hit the winning shot, right?).

And what was up with Amir tonight? He was who I worried about and basically all he did was foul out.

And since I don't think I say this enough:
GO RENALDO! (My new favorite player. I became a Rice fan for a while, but he's been horrible as of late.)
'00-'01 IBA Champions
'01-'02 CBA Champions
'03-'04 CBA Champions

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:49 pm

What's the date of the SI that Quemont is in? I have every issue from 2003 to the present and the entire set from 2001. I'd rather not dig through all of them to find out. I did look through some of mine from 2003 yesterday because I knew Frank Williams was in some of them. He was Cory Bradford's teammate at Illinois. I also think I have one that has a small picture of Kevin Lyde in it, but he's not facing the camera. I just saw "LYDE" on the back of his jersey and assumed it was him. I think it's from 2001.

As for Blalock and the winning shot, all the more reason to get his autograph! That shot, along with his performance last night had to have caught the attention of the Pistons and they'll want him back...hopefully!!

The Wizards did a great job with Amir Johnson. Too bad they didn't do the same with Blalock. I think they forgot that he's an NBA player too.

I'm already looking forward to Tuesday's game. JR Pinnock is the next player that I'll have to try and catch before the game. Hopefully I'll be able to!

mzracing76
Site Admin

Post by mzracing76 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:12 am

well, normally, the CBA just did the Top Four or Five Team Playoff Brackets. but that year (1993-94) they chose to take the Top Three (3) teams from each conference, then take the next 3 and send them to Bismark for a Play In Tournament with one team taking the 4th spot in the Playoffs. Sioux Falls beat Fargo ( think) in the first game, but lost to Mo McHone's Sunkings the next night. Funny how things work out, that Mo would be our coach 2 years later.

But I think they did this to spike interest in Minor League Basketball in Bismark, cause the CBA at the time was very excited about adding a team there within 2 years (at that time).

that would have meant the CBA at that time would have had teams in: Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Omaha, Fargo, Bismark, and Lacrosse.

1989-1996 was the height of the CBA Power. those were the Best years that the CBA had as far as Fan Support. they were annually reaching 1.5 million fans a year with atleast 5-6 teams averaging 3000 or more fans a game. with Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Lacrosse, Oklahoma City, and Fort Wayne consistantly averaging 4500-5500 fans per game. I beleive one year, Rapid City averaged 6400 fans a game (1992-93). So Bismark would have fit in real nicely during that time attendance wise, and rivalry wise.

but then, the Isaiah Thomas thing happened, and all the hard work was for not.

***DID YOU KNOW***
From 1988-1993, the CBA actually had a NBA Affliation System like the D-League usese today. and in 1991-92, we had 17 teams giving every CBA team one NBA team, and a share of another one. meaning the SKyforce was affliated with 1-1/2 NBA teams. But it worked quite differently that time, NBA teams didnt send players down to us, it only meant that the CBA teams controled the interests of all NBA players recently cut by an NBA team. in 1989-90, Sioux Falls picked up Ralph Lewis, Quinton Daily, and Adrian Branch in that way.

see, back then, the CBA really had the Second Best Professional Talent in the world. Second only to the NBA. beleive it or not. USA Basketball used the NBA players (Dream Team) every four years for the Olympics, and they used the CBA players to qualify for the Olympics. Flip Saunders (Lacrosse & Sioux Falls), Eric Musselman (Rapid City-Florida), Mike Thibault (Omaha), and Dan Pannaggio (Quad City) all lead Several Teams that were to qualify for the Olympics. Plus they also did some other Basketball Exhibition games over seas such as China, Korea, and Russia.

I definately would say the talent pool is down now days. Each NBA team has maybe 4-5 good players and the rest our role players, meaning the Minor Leagus (CBA, NBDL) are not getting all the great talent like we used to back in the day. NBDL is going very young (less than 3 years experience), and the CBA is getting the more experience guys, but mostly from the Division II and the Role Players from major colleges that couldnt cut it in the NBA. I just dont feel that the Talent Pool is as strong anymore. thats just my oppinion though. so take it with a grain of salt.

MZ
Last edited by mzracing76 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:21 am

Quemont is in the March 7, 2005 issue, which has Dee Brown on the front. He is in the college basketball section under "Under the Radar".

I guess you're right. Go Blalock! And Amir Johnson! And Pops Mensah-Bonsu!

What do you have for Pinnock to sign?

mzracing76- Interesting facts. I didn't know that the CBA was that closely affiliated to the NBA.
'00-'01 IBA Champions
'01-'02 CBA Champions
'03-'04 CBA Champions

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:23 pm

Dakota’s Renaldo Major Named Defensive Player of the Year

GREENVILLE, S.C., April 9, 2007 – Dakota Wizards forward Renaldo Major has been selected as the NBA Development League Defensive Player of the Year by a vote of the league’s head coaches.

Possibly the most well rounded player to win the Defensive Player of the Year Award, Major also leads the Wizards and is in the top 10 in the league in scoring at 18.3 points per game. Basketball experts around the league point to areas of Major’s game that not only set him apart, but may also go unnoticed in a box score.

"Renaldo Major has proven that you can have a tremendous impact on the game at the defensive end of the floor,” NBA D-League Vice President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel Chris Alpert said. “Our coaches recognize Renaldo's hard work and ability to take over a game with his defensive prowess. He is the leader of his team, never takes a play off and brings energy and a contagious commitment to the defensive end of the floor every night.”

Among league leaders in steals per game (1.5 pg), Major also averages 5.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists. He has recorded at least three steals in 11 games this season.

"Renaldo is a great player. He has accomplished a lot this season and has grown in many ways. Renaldo is a guy that can play at that next level,” Dakota coach Dave Joerger said. “His work ethic is amazing and he goes hard every time he laces up his shoes. That is why he is such a great player.”

As the first Dakota Wizard to win a major NBA D-League season award, Major joins Derrick Zimmerman (Austin 2005-06, Columbus 2004-05), Karim Shabazz (Charleston 2003-04), Mikki Moore (Roanoke 2002-03) and Jeff Myers (Greenville 2001-02) as winners of the Defensive Player of the Year Award.

-----

Congratulations Renaldo!
Now he just needs that D-League MVP award on Thursday!
'00-'01 IBA Champions
'01-'02 CBA Champions
'03-'04 CBA Champions

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:02 am

I think I remember that cover. Everyone said that the Illini were jinxed! I'll dig it out when I have the time.

Blalock, Johnson, and Mensah-Bonsu can score 50 points apiece in their next two games for all I care. Whatever it takes to be called up before the play-offs! And anyway, I'm still counting on the Flyers and the Skyforce to play each other in the first round, so if they want to stick around a little longer, great!

I have a Bowman Chrome rookie card for Pinnock to sign. I never tried to catch him at the previous two games against the RimRockers, so tomorrow is the night if it's ever going to happen!

And way to go Renaldo! That's something I didn't expect. I guess I usually think of defensive players as big and aggressive (Sam Clancy in 2005), but the D-League coaches are experts so I trust their judgment! Then again, why wouldn't I, it's Renaldo! I guess when I think about it, Kevin Rice was the 02-03 CBA Defensive Player of the Year and he's a lot like Renaldo.

All I can say now is "don't lose anymore games this season, Wizards!" Three wins will secure #1 overall. Idaho losses will help too.

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:12 am

Well, Johnson actually requested to be sent down so unless he requests to be sent back up, he probably won't be. But Blalock and Mensah-Bonsu can demolish each other's defenses when they play. I just hope that JJ Barea isn't sent down again. He was basically the reason why we lost. He either drove and scored or when he drove, he kicked the ball out to the three-point arc and someone else like Burleson would score.

I swear that I saw Pinnock's name somewhere and maybe it was on a card, but I looked for each RimRocker in my binders and I didn't find him.

I thought Renaldo had a sort of outside chance at the award. I didn't think it was going to be him, but the choice didn't really surprise me that much. Being Defensive Player certainly helps his shot at MVP since the head coaches in the league must think he has a great all-around game because I know they appreciate his offense and now I know they appreciate his defense.

And it's not like we're playing hard teams the last three games. We could easily do it if we play like we did vs. Fort Worth and most of the Sioux Falls game.

And more good Justin news:
He had 8 points last night. He had 5 fouls though. And amazingly enough, he was 4-4 from the line, which is unheard of from him.
'00-'01 IBA Champions
'01-'02 CBA Champions
'03-'04 CBA Champions

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 am

April 10: F Pops Mensah-Bonsu recalled from FORT WORTH by the Dallas Mavericks.

That helps out quite a bit, though it would still be nice if Fort Worth can beat Sioux Falls one of the 2 games, just to make it 100% that we clinch the division.

Also, according to draft express, Randy Livingston was called up by the Sonics.
Last edited by DakotaWiz on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D-League”