Team Thread - Albuquerque Thunderbirds

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
TBirdCrazy
Site Admin

Team Thread - Albuquerque Thunderbirds

Post by TBirdCrazy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:49 am

Ok...so someone suggested we should have a thread for each team...I agree...so here is the Thunderbirds thread.

Allow me to vent while I am talking.....what the ^&*% are the Tbirds up to this year? I mean, last year we had a great year..better than anyone could imagine. this year...forget it. We have had so many add/waives, and so much instability it is incredible. I remember last year some journalist asking Coach Cooper how he will deal with the callups and such, and all the movement in the Dleague. Coop responded with soemthing to the effect of, we have been fortunate...we have not been hit as hard as most teams. I think that is a key to success in this league..being stable and not having too much movement. Sticking with your team and believing in it.

Ok, guess that philosophy did not work too well last year...oh wait...we won the Championship...seems something worked.

We have, this year, to date, added/waived more than 9 players. The year is less than half over and we have nearly a whole new team (except for Tony Bland, Joe Shipp, and Brandon Robinson). We even waived TJ Cummings...which was one of our "keeper" players.

The instability definitely shows....we have lost 9 of the last 12, and if the playoffs were to start today...we would not be a part of them....eventhough 4 of the 6 teams in the Conference will make it.

Well, Coach....heed your own advice...keep it stable...work with the team you ahve now...chemistry wins games...they will gel...but give them time

And NO...2 weeks is not long enough time.

On the lighter side of things...think there is any chance we could resign Tierre Brown, now that he has been released from his Euroteam. Granted he can not defend a 5 year old, but still, he could ball.

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:55 pm

I'm not a Thunderbirds fan, but I can totally agree with what you've said. I cannot believe that the T-Birds are doing as bad as they are.

Chemistry won't come to a team if their roster is constantly changing. The Wizards' roster has been changed by 2 call-ups, a fight at practice, and a player going overseas, but other than that, Coach Joerger has kept our roster the same and it's showing in our record.

And I agree, two weeks is not much time to gel. I understand that is you'd start out maybe 0-5 like Idaho did, you might need to be a couple adjustments in your roster, but if you have players who seem to have a great deal of talent and experience, then you should keep them together and then if that doesn't work after maybe a month, then look to the player pool or a trade.

And why in the world did you guys release TJ Cummings?

TBirdCrazy
Site Admin

Post by TBirdCrazy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 am

Yeah...TJ Cummings gone within a 2 weeks...brother is a monster...did not understand it. My guess is there was a falling out with Coach. anyway, got off the phone today with my "contact" and they say that the Tbirds are in for more player movement. I could not believe my ears when they said this. Hwoever after I was told who it was, I kind of felt a little more relieved. Why? because the two players set to suit up as a Tbird this weekend are none other than:

Dijon Thompson - just back from a very brief stint with the Atlanta Hawks, and

Andreas Glyniadakas - Our top center from last year who was waived a few weeks ago by the Supersonics

Why you ask am I thrilled to have these guys back...cause truthfully, now we can have some chemistry. When these guys finally suit up for Albuquerque, there will be a total of 5 players on the roster from the Championship team of last year:
  • Tony Bland
  • Joe Shipp
  • Brandon Robinson
  • Andreas Glyniadakas
  • Dijon Thompson (i'm counting Dijon as one of them, eventhough he only played 1 month for them last year)
There is the starting 5, who have all played together for sometime. Chemistry will click now....i hope...or we are in for a long second half

Now where did I put Tierre Brown's number again?

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:38 am

I hope they get some players soon, because they are pretty much unwatchable this season thus far, and the dwindling crowds show the fickle Albuquerque fans are losing interest.

It's a shame too, because with how bad UNM is this year, the T-birds should have able to get some fans if they would have had a decent team...I think the tickets cost WAY too much, is also a factor.

I honestly cannot see them sticking around for another year of a 90% empty Tingley coliseum.

abie10
Site Admin

Post by abie10 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:21 am

i am a season ticket holder for the tbirds...it sucks seeing them lose night after night...

if you are right and those two guys come back..that would be awesome...but how long will they stay?

Chances are bozeman will be gone soon too...someone will snatch him up...

one player that does need to go is Edwards...he is horrible...at least of late. they say he is being hampered by an ankle injury...more excuse to cut him i say..

TBirdCrazy
Site Admin

Post by TBirdCrazy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:37 pm

I was a season ticket holder last year...too much going on this year...and the drive killed me (live 1.5 hours away). See the latest news below on Dijon and Andreas signing. Seeing as the Tbirds blog has not worked all season...I have started one at: http://www.tbirdsblog.com This is where I am psoting all the news I receive, as well as player tracking both past and present, and commentary on the season and games. Check it out.

Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis set to join the Tbirds
Reports are that the Albuquerque Thunderbirds are set to announce that they have signed Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis. They should be able to clear the paperwork by Wednesday so they can suit up in the next home game against the Dakota Wizards.

Dijon Thompson is rejoining the Tbirds after a short time with the Atlanta Hawks. He played in 6 games for the Hawks, with a total of 17 pts. His biggest game came on January 9th, when he totaled 7 pts in just 6 min. This will be the second time this season Dijon will be on the Tbirds roster. He was averaging 20.3 pts per game, in just 12 games with the Tbirds before he got the Call-up to Atlanta.

Andreas Glyniadakis will be rejoining the Tbirds after spending most of the season with the Seattle Supersonics. He played 12 games for the Supersonics, and was a key acquisition while Seattles big men were hurt during the early part of the season. Andreas was a part of the Tbirds Dleague Championship team last year, and looks to help Albuquerque get back into the playoffs, and successfully defend their championship

TBirdCrazy
Site Admin

Post by TBirdCrazy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:39 pm

Also, my sources say that as bad as attendance has been for Albuquerque, they are staying put. The team that is looking at a possible relocation is Ft. Worth. Will let everyone know more details as they arise.

TBirdCrazy
Site Admin

Post by TBirdCrazy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:44 pm

Just in....Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis have cleared their paperwork, and it is official...they have been signed by the Tbirds. the Tibirds have waived John Edwards and Eddy Fobbs to make room. More details to follow

DakotaWizardsFan
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWizardsFan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:56 pm

[quote=""TBirdCrazy""]Just in....Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis have cleared their paperwork, and it is official...they have been signed by the Tbirds. the Tibirds have waived John Edwards and Eddy Fobbs to make room. More details to follow[/quote]

Ah.. do the Wizards always have bad luck? We lose Justin Williams and Renaldo Major heading into some games against top teams. The Fort Worth Flyers get JJ Barea soon before we played them. Now the T-Birds get Dijon and Andreas. Looks like your team will have a good chance tonight.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:59 pm

God created an "edit" function for a reason...
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

Return to “D-League”