Expansion for 2007-08

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Wouldn't you know it, none other than Alex Wolff had an article on this topic. Do please keep in mind that this article is close to 4 years old.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside ... hoop_life/

There's a couple hitches here.

(1) Arguably, this isn't just an indictment of college ball, but of the notion that kids need to go through high school. These programs all have education components. Thing is, for all the soccer fans begging for this kind of system in America (from which European basketball has evolved), there's American parents out there thinking "WTF" among many other thoughts.

(2) Territories or recruiting? (That may well be a function of #1, really)

I really think Europe has this right... but that doesn't mean America is going to follow suit.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:09 pm

I don't know if this pertains to 07-08 or later, but it appears the new management for Hartford Civic Center is targeting a D-League franchise.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-hartpa ... 4335.story

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The NBADL will only be practice squads in the near future

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu May 03, 2007 3:40 pm

This is another example of why I don't think the NBADL will see thirty teams at one time:

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/189137/

The Arkansas Rimrockers were supposed to be a model franchise a few years ago...at least that was the claim. My claim is that you can only bleed money for so long.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu May 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Why LaCrosse is a better market than Little Rock:

1-The CBA Catbirds averaged 4,500 fans per game and won six attendance titles during their 9 year history.

2-LaCrosse is a college town without any sports options during the winter. There is nothing else to do in LaCrosse.

3-The LaCrosse Center Board has reduced rent in the past to assist a minor league basketball franchise, which is something Little Rock refused to do.

4- The Rimrocker owner can share the load with local investors from Wisconsin.

5- The Lease in LaCrosse is cheaper than the arena rent in Little Rock

6- The Travel cost will be reduced. If the D-League goes to a division format LaCrosse is within driving distance of Des Moines, Sioux Falls and Ft. Wayne.
As opposed to having to fly to Austin, McAllen and Dallas if the team were still in Arkansas.

7- The owner will sell a share of the team, which will cover any losses he will occur without giving up control of the team.
Last edited by bectond on Thu May 03, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

There's a reason why pro basketball left LaCrosse and hasn't returned.

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu May 03, 2007 5:21 pm

[quote=""bectond""]Why LaCrosse is a better market than Little Rock:

1-The CBA Catbirds averaged 4,500 fans per game and won six attendance titles during their 9 year history.

2-LaCrosse is a college town without any sports options during the winter. There is nothing else to do in LaCrosse.

3-The LaCrosse Center Board has reduced rent in the past to assist a minor league basketball franchise, which is something Little Rock refused to do.

4- The Rimrocker owner can share the load with local investors from Wisconsin.

5- The Lease in LaCrosse is cheaper than the arena rent in Little Rock

6- The Travel cost will be reduced. If the D-League goes to a division format LaCrosse is within driving distance of Des Moines, Sioux Falls and Ft. Wayne.
As opposed to having to fly to Austin, McAllen and Dallas if the team were still in Arkansas.

7- The owner will sell a share of the team, which will cover any losses he will occur without giving up control of the team.[/quote]

You're using some of the same arguments people in Fort Wayne, Indiana are using. The fact remains that that was then and this is now. A lot has changed since those teams posted those numbers--mainly in the area of competition for the entertainment dollar.

The Rimrockers once had huge crowds too--10,000 plus at times. What was their average this season? 1,100 and change, right?

panchess
Site Admin

Ken is right on the 30...

Post by panchess » Thu May 03, 2007 6:28 pm

..David Stern likes the D-League, but isn't pushing expansion willy-nilly. A new commissioner of the NBA might not push it at all.

30 D-League teams doesn't make sense for the NBA for a lot of reasons, but the biggest is the relative lack of development compared to other sports. Yes, you need a place to have players available when the big team's players get injured. Yes, it is good to have a development league where benchwarmers can play.

Realistically, though, each team only has 2-4 of those kinds of players at any given time. Some don't have any. Why run a whole farm team for that?

SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino » Thu May 03, 2007 8:53 pm

It's ridiculous that Darius Rice can drop over 50 in the D-League championship game and he can't play in the playoffs.

The D-League season should mainly be to get players in top shape in case of callups. It should start and end sooner so players can be called up while they can still impact the regular season, then the playoffs.

Baseball expands their roster at the end of the season for this very reason.

And Alltel is the model of what's wrong with the D-League: Local owners overpaying for too-large arenas that can't be possibly filled.

I think there SHOULD be 30 D-League teams eventually, but 4 regional sub-leagues (less travel), shorter regular season, then best of five playoffs where there is travelling nationwide.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri May 04, 2007 1:05 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]You're using some of the same arguments people in Fort Wayne, Indiana are using. The fact remains that that was then and this is now. A lot has changed since those teams posted those numbers--mainly in the area of competition for the entertainment dollar.

The Rimrockers once had huge crowds too--10,000 plus at times. What was their average this season? 1,100 and change, right?[/quote]

Fort Wayne has competition for the entertainment dollar, LaCrosse does not.
major concert tours by pass LaCrosse and the city does not have any major or minor league sports franchises. LaCrosse will easily be one of the top three teams in terms of attendance in the D-League. I have often stated that Little Rock to the D-League was a bad move and i'm not sold on Fort Wayne either, but LaCrosse is a can't miss.

As for the D-League not being worth the trouble, I disagree. The only thing that stands in the way of the NBDL replacing the NCAA as the NBA's largest suppler of talent is an agreement between the player's union and the NBA league office on higher NBDL player salaries. Currently, high school players don't have incentive to play in the D-League due to the pay scale, in the near future the NBA will increase D-League salaries. Once that happens, most of the top players will forgo college all together. The best players will spend one or two years developing in the NBDL before moving on the NBA, while the mid-level players will spend one or two years in the NBDL before moving on to Europe. The lower level players can spend their careers in the NBDL or CBA.
The D-League is designed to save owners money teams will be able to see players in their system for a year or two before they reach the NBA, teams will have two years to decide if they want to sign youngsters to a mid-level 5 year contract. They will not have to rely on college coaches input, teams will be able to send their own development coaches to instruct their young players. The D-League will function as an internship for basketball players. It is a wise business move, pay a guy $150,000 a year, give him coaching, a nutritionist, a trainer and stash him away in a small town with positive influences and take two full years to decide if you want to pay him multi-millions.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

panchess
Site Admin

Sounds more like the CBA..

Post by panchess » Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 pm

..actually that is what the CBA should be doing, in my opinion. It's obvious there is room for only one true development league, and the D-League is the one.

The CBA should be more focused on veteran talent and the kind of "high-risk, high-reward" kinds of players currently going to Europe or South America. Building stars and relationships with "name" players probably will do more for attendance than anything else.

If the D-League is more like AAA baseball, it is going to teach skills, not create stars. The NBA is heavily dependent on the NCAA for one thing: creating college stars that can play at the next level and "bring a name" with them.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

It's more than concert tours and other minor leagues

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri May 04, 2007 3:26 pm

bectond,
When I mentioned then and now and competition for the entertainment dollar I also meant advancements in technology. Cable tv, dish networks, cell phones, computers, and Internet access are all more available than when those teams were posting high attendance numbers. Not only are the services for these technologies more available, but the services are more expensive. More expensive = less disposable income. Less disposable income = there better be a good reason to spend dollars.

Return to “D-League”