The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
nksports
Site Admin

A trend?

Post by nksports » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:35 am

Renandpat
Site Admin

Post by Renandpat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:41 pm

If you pose the question, you'd might want to state your opinion along with the link.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 pm

My opinion is yet completely unformed, but there is good and bad to this. Getting the one-and-dones out of college basketball is probably a good thing, and while it won't end corruption in college basketball, it may reduce it.
Some players don't want to be in college or don't have the aptitude for it. They should have other options.
On the other hand, a G League player not under a direct NBA two-way contract makes (last time I checked) between around $25,000 and $35,000 a year. A D-I college scholarship is worth between $25,000 and $50,000 a year, plus hookers, strippers and any other money (cars or houses) slipped under the table by boosters, agents and the like.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:17 pm

[quote=""nksports""] They should have other options.[/quote]

When you're 18, you have nothing but options.

When you self-narrow them to, basically, one, well....I'm sorry, I don't have to create more for you.
Old enough to remember when bashing the ABA was fun.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:58 pm

This has received some national buzz.

Also, shall we reflect on the police blotter that's beginning to form around college basketball? That whole scene is helping make this possible.

But will it spread? I mean, you want these D-League teams and their parents to be judicious, you don't want to be throwing 8 digits at players to get developed here, but something more livable is possibly an investment that CAN be recouped (those players who don't make it, sell on to Europe). Of course, I can't discount the possibility that people might actually gain increased desire to buy tickets to G-League games...
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:24 am

[quote=""Pounder""] Of course, I can't discount the possibility that people might actually gain increased desire to buy tickets to G-League games...[/quote]

To see high school players play? Against actual grown men?

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Well, you just threw high school students into a discussion where they weren't really discussed. Something even I forgot while I'm all "I was being a bit flip, right" and wondering why the SOS from you.

However, I can put this another way. In basketball terms, you overestimate grown men. ;)

None of that changes the fact that the G-League is best in places like Santa Cruz, 2,500 capacity (and therefore usually filled), people who care about Golden State up the road and are therefore more likely to be keyed in to how "their" kids are evolving against grown men. If we were talking Boise (far far away from any given NBA market and therefore more given to wanting a winning team), you'd be dead right. However, I've kind of picked up on why G-League teams seem to be migrating closer to their parent clubs. Not all of them... but several.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2501 ... route-ncaa

Here we go. The G-League is theoretically flashing the cash. They're willing to drop 12 and a half ABA franchises on post-HS players to help ditch the one-and-done rule.

This begs the question of whether it's taking a pay cut if you otherwise take the college route. It seems like, however, with the latest scandal currently burning up the courtrooms, it might be a solution to what people may not regard as a problem, but probably is.

Sam Hill
Site Admin

Post by Sam Hill » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:23 am

[quote=""Pounder""]Well, you just threw high school students into a discussion where they weren't really discussed. Something even I forgot while I'm all "I was being a bit flip, right" and wondering why the SOS from you.[/quote]

Please.

If you leave high school to play professional basketball, you are, essentially, a high school player playing in a league of, wait for it, professionals. High school senior, college freshman, virtually no difference.

There are very few Kevin Garnetts in life. With good reason.

If you want to tell me that people who, heretofore, have said, "Meh, the G-League, it's a bunch of guys who aren't good enough for the NBA, not gonna watch," will say, "Oh, unless you put a bunch of 18 year olds in there, then I'm TOTALLY down with it," I will call bull****.

Return to “D-League”