Hawks to start a team in 2019-2020

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:05 pm

[quote=""nksports""]A lot of one-and-dones are winding up in the D League as it is. Compared to the NFL and MLB, there isn't a lot of turnover in NBA rosters outside of free agency. Pretty much everyone not drafted in the first round (and even a handful of first-rounders) wind up in the D League.[/quote]

I could not disagree more with this statement. The D-League now is being used more than it ever has. There are also upcoming rule changes that start next season that were built in to the recent CBA to allow players to be paid more while playing there.

Teams are now using the D-League as a two way street. Call a player up for a 10 day contract if you have an injury. Call them up if they are producing and are ready for the big show or send them down if they are not getting the playing time they need to develop in the NBA. There are many players in the NBA that have split time between both leagues. Recently the Hawks had a guy spend a couple games in the D-League to "stay fresh" then came up and scored 15 off the bench the next night.

I think the only thing teams are missing is sending established injured players down to rehab instead of really limiting their minutes in a NBA game. So right now they would rather play a guy 10 minutes in an NBA game instead of letting him build his self up in the D-League.

Overall the D-League has really taken off the last couple years. I'll search a couple article to back this info.
Last edited by Minor League Mania on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Changes to the CBA: New changes might allow more players to opt out of one year of college and instead play that one season in the D-League:

http://dleaguedigest.com/2016/11/18/rep ... -d-league/

Two way contracts, roster expansions, & increased pay:
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/12/14/ ... es-lockout

http://dleaguedigest.com/2017/01/19/d-l ... landscape/

Also rumored is the elimination of the one and done college rule completely. Both sides seem to be in favor of a zero or two like MLB. They really are forced to hold off on this till each team has a D-League affiliate though. So likely after 2020. Then the league really has a chance to take off.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 pm

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]I could not disagree more with this statement. The D-League now is being used more than it ever has. There are also upcoming rule changes that start next season that were built in to the recent CBA to allow players to be paid more while playing there.

Teams are now using the D-League as a two way street. Call a player up for a 10 day contract if you have an injury. Call them up if they are producing and are ready for the big show or send them down if they are not getting the playing time they need to develop in the NBA. There are many players in the NBA that have split time between both leagues. Recently the Hawks had a guy spend a couple games in the D-League to "stay fresh" then came up and scored 15 off the bench the next night.

I think the only thing teams are missing is sending established injured players down to rehab instead of really limiting their minutes in a NBA game. So right now they would rather play a guy 10 minutes in an NBA game instead of letting him build his self up in the D-League.

Overall the D-League has really taken off the last couple years. I'll search a couple article to back this info.[/quote]
You misinterpret my quote. I said that most draftees wind up in the D League these days, so teams do see value. It's often the one-and-done who overestimates his value that doesn't see where he's going (often to the D League).
I think I read something a few months ago where the NBA commissioner talked about expanding the draft an extra two or three rounds with the understanding that those taken after the first few picks were going to make up D League rosters. Even if a D League team doesn't make a lot of money (which they don't), an entire D League roster often is cheaper than one marginal NBA bench player these days.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Yeah, I think major changes are coming. You would have to expand the draft if you went to the MLB draft rules model. Once they start getting the high school athletes in to the D-League it may really take off in terms of coverage, sponsorship and attendance. Ben Simmons would be a good example to me. He admitted he really had zero interest in going to college.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Hawks will be adding a D-League team next season and using Erie till the new arena is ready in 2019 in College Park.

http://dleague.nba.com/news/atlanta-haw ... 18-season/

Bring the total to 24 teams for next season.

http://dleague.nba.com/expansion/

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Oshkosh will be announced tomorrow for Milwaukee. That will bring the total to 25 assuming they start next season.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:32 pm

It's official. Bucks' D-League to play in Oshkosh starting in 2017-18 season. This brings the league up to 25 teams. There's still the possibility that the Clippers bring back the Bakersfield Jam & that Denver goes through with Omaha. I have to wonder how the alignment will happen for next season.

CENTRAL
Windy City
Fort Wayne
Iowa
Sioux Falls
Oshkosh

NORTH
Maine
Toronto
Canton
Erie
Grand Rapids

ATLANTIC
Westchester
Long Island
Delaware
Greensboro
Lakeland, FL

SOUTHWEST
Rio Grande Valley
Austin
Texas
Oklahoma City
Southaven, MS

PACIFIC
Salt Lake City
Los Angeles
Santa Cruz
Northern Arizona
Reno

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 pm

If Bakersfield joins, then we'll have four divisions.

CENTRAL
Windy City
Fort Wayne
Iowa
Sioux Falls
Oshkosh
Canton
Grand Rapids

ATLANTIC
Westchester
Long Island
Delaware
Maine
Toronto
Erie

SOUTH
Rio Grande Valley
Austin
Texas
Oklahoma City
Southaven, MS
Greensboro
Lakeland, FL

PACIFIC
Salt Lake City
Los Angeles
Santa Cruz
Northern Arizona
Reno
Bakersfield

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:09 pm

At this point it sure would not be hard to get everyone to a one to one in the next two season.

The handful of NBA teams that dont have an affiliate could basically do like the Hawks/Erie did and use some of the cities that are losing their teams.

Sign a couple year agreement and find yourself a permanent home.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:47 am

Clippers bring back Bakersfield(#26), Denver takes Omaha(#27), Washington's team is slated for 2018-19(#2 8) , New Orleans could take over Erie in two years once College Park is ready for Atlanta(#29) & Portland could take over Sioux Falls if Miami starts up a team in South Florida(#30).

Return to “D-League”