Hornets select Greensboro for D-League team

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 pm

I think you mean the Giants, not the Sharks. Also, I doubt the Hornets would resurrect the name the Sting given that their WNBA team folded back in 2007.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:43 pm

[quote=""turbocamyes""]I think you mean the Giants, not the Sharks. Also, I doubt the Hornets would resurrect the name the Sting given that their WNBA team folded back in 2007.[/quote]

well, you never know, especially if they still hold the rights to the name.

Minor League Mania
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Mania » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:46 pm

I have to disagree with you on the Hawks affiliate. I think Birmingham is a much better choice than Gwinnett. While Gwinnett is much closer by about 90 minutes, Birmingham is a better market and the mayor already has had discussions with the NBA. They really want an NBA team but to be realistic they are a Minor League City. The Barons do extremely well there, and UAB basketball supports itself. Another draw back is Gwinnett is so close you will lose fans on the nights the Atlanta Hawks play. Happens with the Gwinnett Braves already.

What about Tampa/St Pete for a Florida option? These cities have to have enough market size to support a team. I think of AA and AAA cities in baseball as logical choices for the most part.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:45 am

and Brooklyn's now official. The Long Island Nets will start play in the 2016-17 season. Wonder who'll be next, New Orleans?? Chicago?? Atlanta??

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:13 am

[quote=""Minor League Mania""]I have to disagree with you on the Hawks affiliate. I think Birmingham is a much better choice than Gwinnett. [/quote]

If this were a CBA-style league, I'd be in full agreement.

This is the D-League. The question isn't whether Birmingham is a better minor league market. The question is whether Birmingham services the Atlanta Hawks better than Gwinnett County. I suspect the answer to be a resounding NO. If the answer is otherwise, you have to prove that attendance/interest will stay steady when good players get moved at the whim of the Hawks.

Before everyone gets hot and bothered over alignments...

...this may be the Stampede's last year in Boise. The Jazz bought them back in March and signed a one-year lease. We'll see what happens next, knowing that Orem didn't take hold not so long ago.

Blazers coach Terry Stotts seems adamant against having an affiliate for now. That does bum me out, but figure the Blazers to be among the last converts.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 am

The one kicker that could help Birmingham is whether having a team there could help Hawks ticket sales in Atlanta. You would assume Gwinnett is a captive market for the Hawks, and putting a NBDL team is redundant from a ticket sales perspective.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:03 am

Looks like Chicago will be the next team to announce their D-League team, likely to play in Chicago at the Sears Center.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:10 pm

and just that quickly, Chicago's D-League team has been announced.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article44127696.html

The league is currently set to be at 22 teams for the 2016-17 season.

So is Atlanta & New Orleans next to announce their D-League teams??

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Omaha could be home to either Minnesota or Denver's D-League team. So quite possibly we might see more than 24 teams for 2016-17.

toad455
Site Admin

Post by toad455 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:14 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]

...this may be the Stampede's last year in Boise. The Jazz bought them back in March and signed a one-year lease. We'll see what happens next, knowing that Orem didn't take hold not so long ago.

Blazers coach Terry Stotts seems adamant against having an affiliate for now. That does bum me out, but figure the Blazers to be among the last converts.[/quote]

maybe Minnesota can take over the Stampede, the Jazz bring back the Utah Flash & Denver's team plays in Omaha?

Return to “D-League”