Upcoming Affiliate Changes NY/Por/Orl/Min

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
flasah
Site Admin

Iowa/Memphis

Post by flasah » Tue May 06, 2014 8:08 pm

The Iowa Energy have signed an affiliation deal with the Memphis Grizzlies:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... d/8737929/
They had three other offers that all required relocation, one to another country (presumably Canada)

Kinda awkward for Fort Wayne now, being shared by 13 affiliates.

bectond
Site Admin

Three other offers?

Post by bectond » Tue May 06, 2014 9:40 pm

If there are (at least) three other offers out there the NBA should elect to expand by 2 teams. Then Bakersfield, Idaho, and Fort Wayne could split the other 11 non affiliated teams between them.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

flasah
Site Admin

Post by flasah » Wed May 07, 2014 3:05 am

[quote=""bectond""]If there are (at least) three other offers out there the NBA should elect to expand by 2 teams. Then Bakersfield, Idaho, and Fort Wayne could split the other 11 non affiliated teams between them.[/quote]

Bakersfield and Idaho are expected to sign with Phoenix and Utah.

http://dleaguedigest.com/2014/04/30/sou ... -the-same/

That leaves 13 teams for Fort Wayne. Even if the other three teams that made offers to Iowa get expansion teams, Fort Wayne would still have 10. The NBA may need to run an expansion team for a year to cover 5 of those.

BTW, I'm guessing two of those offers came from Toronto (to move to Hamilton) and New Orleans (to move south). They are know to be looking for affiliates.
Minnesota is also known to be seeking an affiliate. Maybe they can revive the Dakota Wizards in Bismarck.
Last edited by flasah on Thu May 08, 2014 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

flasah
Site Admin

Phx/Bak

Post by flasah » Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 am

Phoenix/Bakersfield almost done: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... e/8870125/

Fort Wayne and Idaho left, with Idaho expected to sign with Utah.

Eastern Division
Canton Charge - Owned by the Cleveland Cavaliers
Delaware 87ers - Owned by the Philadelphia 76ers
Erie Bayhawks - Hybrid affiliate of the Orlando Magic
Fort Wayne Mad Ants - 13! affiliates see below
Grand Rapids Drive (formerly Springfield Armor) - Hybrid affiliate of the Detroit Pistons
Maine Red Claws - Hybrid affiliate of the Boston Celtics
Westchester Knicks - Owned by the New York Knicks

Central Division
Austin Toros - Owned by the San Antonio Spurs
Iowa Energy - Hybrid affiliate of the Memphis Grizzlies
Rio Grande Valley Vipers - Hybrid affiliate of the Houston Rockets
Sioux Falls Skyforce - Hybrid affiliate of the Miami Heat
Texas Legends - Hybrid affiliate of the Dallas Mavericks
Tulsa 66ers - Owned by the Oklahoma City Thunder

Western Division
Bakersfield Jam - Hybrid affiliate of the Phoenix Suns
Idaho Stampede - Likely hybrid affiliate of the Utah Jazz
Los Angeles D-Fenders - Owned by the Los Angeles Lakers
Reno Bighorns - Hybrid affiliate of the Sacramento Kings
Santa Cruz Warriors - Owned by the Golden State Warriors

Teams known to be interested in one-to-one affiliation:
Minnesota, New Orleans, Toronto

Other teams without a one-to-one affiliate:
Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Indiana, Chicago,
Milwaukee, Denver, LA Clippers, Brooklyn, Portland

Possible realignment (from toad455):
East: Canton, Delaware, Erie, Maine, Westchester
North: Iowa, Sioux Falls, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids
South (Central): Austin, RGV, Texas, Tulsa
West: Bakersfield, Idaho, LAD, Reno, Santa Cruz
Last edited by flasah on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

flasah
Site Admin

Post by flasah » Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 pm

New York's D-League team will be known as the Westchester Knicks
http://www.nba.com/dleague/westchester/ ... 40514.html

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Fri May 16, 2014 11:40 pm

[quote=""flasah""]Bakersfield and Idaho are expected to sign with Phoenix and Utah.

[url]http://

BTW, I'm guessing two of those offers came from Toronto (to move to Hamilton) and New Orleans (to move south). They are know to be looking for affiliates.
Minnesota is also known to be seeking an affiliate. Maybe they can revive the Dakota Wizards in Bismarck.[/quote]

If three NBA teams (TOR, MIN, NO) want a minor league franchise now, I really don't understand why the league does not grant those franchises expansion teams. A NO team could be located within driving distance of the Texas franchises, a MINN affiliate team in Rapid City, Cedar Rapid or Rochester, MN would be close to S. Falls and Des Moines franchises, and Southern Ontario borders Lake Erie and is close to some of the eastern teams like Erie and Canton.
The league could also place an independently operated team in Yakima, WA. (or another city in the Northwest) to reduce the load on Fort Wayne.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sat May 17, 2014 5:18 am

[quote=""bectond""]If three NBA teams (TOR, MIN, NO) want a minor league franchise now, I really don't understand why the league does not grant those franchises expansion teams. A NO team could be located within driving distance of the Texas franchises, a MINN affiliate team in Rapid City, Cedar Rapid or Rochester, MN would be close to S. Falls and Des Moines franchises, and Southern Ontario borders Lake Erie and is close to some of the eastern teams like Erie and Canton.
The league could also place an independently operated team in Yakima, WA. (or another city in the Northwest) to reduce the load on Fort Wayne.[/quote]

Rushed franchises are the worst startups.

I think if you got Joe Newman tripped out on acid, he might say the same thing.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

flasah
Site Admin

Post by flasah » Sat May 17, 2014 4:18 pm

[quote=""bectond""]If three NBA teams (TOR, MIN, NO) want a minor league franchise now, I really don't understand why the league does not grant those franchises expansion teams. A NO team could be located within driving distance of the Texas franchises, a MINN affiliate team in Rapid City, Cedar Rapid or Rochester, MN would be close to S. Falls and Des Moines franchises, and Southern Ontario borders Lake Erie and is close to some of the eastern teams like Erie and Canton.
The league could also place an independently operated team in Yakima, WA. (or another city in the Northwest) to reduce the load on Fort Wayne.[/quote]

Maybe they were ready to have a hybrid affiliate, but not willing to start up their own expansion team, which would be more expensive.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sat May 17, 2014 11:34 pm

[quote=""flasah""]Maybe they were ready to have a hybrid affiliate, but not willing to start up their own expansion team, which would be more expensive.[/quote]

Correct, NBA teams can petition the League for an expansion team at any time, but the nba is extremely careful when it comes to granting a franchise to parties seeking a hybrid affiliation - if said party is not someway, already connected to the league. There are plenty of existing franchises in other leagues that the d league won't grant an invite. For instance, the Magic wanted to partner with an ABA team in Jacksonville; however, they ended up partnering with Erie. An existing D league franchise.

flasah
Site Admin

Utah/Idaho

Post by flasah » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Utah/Idaho affiliation now official
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/06/jazz ... ation.html

NBA expected to limit assignments due to Fort Wayne's 13 affiliates.

Return to “D-League”