Possible Cavs Team in Youngstown, Ohio

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
gatek99
Site Admin

Possible Cavs Team in Youngstown, Ohio

Post by gatek99 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 pm

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jun/07/r ... m-covelli/
The Covelli Centre’s executive director says he’s talked with Cleveland Cavaliers and National Basketball Association Development League officials about bringing a Cavs-affiliated minor-league team to the Youngstown facility.
The NBA wants each of its 30 teams to have its own D-League team, said Wells and Ryan. There are currently 16 D-League teams.
What do you guys think?

Fez
Site Admin

Post by Fez » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 pm

I think it is a great idea. A close city with a tight-affiliation to the local NBA team makes a ton of sense. Youngstown folks are already Cavs fans. A win-win.

The Dayton Dragons are the Cincinnati Reds A team --and the close link to Cincinnati makes it a great combo --and the Dragons have been a huge success in a City with a horrible economic climate.

I'd love to see more of this.
Last edited by Fez on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subscribe to Dayton Pro Sports Daily News: http://paper.li/f-1313642591

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:30 pm

[quote=""Fez""]I think it is a great idea. A close city with a tight-affiliation to the local NBA team makes a ton of sense. Youngstown folks are already Cavs fans. A win-win.

The Dayton Dragons are the Cincinnati Reds AA team --and the close link to Cincinnati makes it a great combo --and the Dragons have been a huge success in a City with a horrible economic climate.

I'd love to see more of this.[/quote]

The Dayton Dragons are a class A team in the MWL. Not an AA team.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Great news for Youngstown, :cool :o ne of my favorite cities.
We have a team in Erie and its really great excitement and good family fun.
I am looking forward to taking the 90 mile trip down to the Covelli Center. :D

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:08 am

Since the D league is not expanding the Cavs must plan on buying an existing team and moving it to Youngstown. I believe both Dakota and New Mexico have been on the market recently so I'd look for one of those teams to relocate.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:03 am

Bingo.
Look for the Cavs to bring the team from ABQ Mew Mex.
They were last in Att at 1,959 fans per game.
Save Bakersfield which is a special situation.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:12 am

Would the Cavs actually own this team? Got to remember this is the same ownership that folded the Cleveland Rockers to be able to sign LeBron. Of course with LaBron gone, the Cadavaliers need some player development and need it fast.

DFWCC
Site Admin

Post by DFWCC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:30 pm

As I understand it. The Cavs want to buy the New Mex Thunderbirds located in Albuquerque.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

I just don't see it.

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:11 pm

[quote=""gatek99""]http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jun/07/r ... m-covelli/

What do you guys think?[/quote]

I think there were too many if's listed in the article for the D-League to work in Youngstown.
If the two teams work together to share advertising and sponsors as well as attract ticket holders while coordinating their schedules, both could succeed, Zoldan said.
I've heard much talk of sharing advertising and sponsors, but I've never known it to actually work.

Also, there is a reason why the nation's lowest median home price is in and around Youngstown, Ohio. America's Dirt-Cheap Housing Markets.

The economic picture isn't much better in Cleveland. Will Cleveland be able to sustain an NBA franchise much longer? I seem to remember predictions that it will take the economy at least another five years to return to pre-2008 employment levels. That was last year when I read those predictions. The nation is probably in for at least another four years of tough times. Franchises will do well to simply survive during these times.

gatek99
Site Admin

Post by gatek99 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:36 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]I think there were too many if's listed in the article for the D-League to work in Youngstown.

I've heard much talk of sharing advertising and sponsors, but I've never known it to actually work.

Also, there is a reason why the nation's lowest median home price is in and around Youngstown, Ohio. America's Dirt-Cheap Housing Markets.

The economic picture isn't much better in Cleveland. Will Cleveland be able to sustain an NBA franchise much longer? I seem to remember predictions that it will take the economy at least another five years to return to pre-2008 employment levels. That was last year when I read those predictions. The nation is probably in for at least another four years of tough times. Franchises will do well to simply survive during these times.[/quote]

you do realize that the suburbs are flourishing? Downtown is crappy, but all the fans would be coming from the burbs most likely

Return to “D-League”