Possible Cavs Team in Youngstown, Ohio

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The entire state of Ohio is the poster child for what ails the rust belt (IMO).

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 pm

I want to learn more about the flourishing suburbs of Youngstown, Ohio because National Public Radio points out something interesting about the county where Youngstown is located. Ohio City A Battleground For Obama's Economy Policy.
When Obama came to Youngstown two weeks ago, he visited the V&M Star steel plant, whose owner is investing $650 million, creating 400 construction jobs and promising 350 permanent jobs. It was part of a broader pitch the president made to show how the stimulus package is helping in places like Ohio.

Still, the jobless rate in this county tops 14 percent, and the recovery feels a long way off, as the president acknowledged that day.

"And a lot of people — let's just be blunt — aren't always real impressed when a governor or a president comes swooping in and talking about the economy, because the only headline they want to see is the headline that says 'You're hired,' " he said.

{emphasis is mine}
That's an awful lot of unemployed people in the Youngstown area. This article is a year old. Has the employment picture improved significantly? Also, could you post a link on those flourishing suburbs so I can understand better? When I read dirt cheapest housing market in the entire nation, I can only think depressed local economy.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffalo Super Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffalo Super Fan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:51 am

[quote=""gatek99""]http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jun/07/r ... m-covelli/

What do you guys think?[/quote]

I would like the Cavs farm team's chances of succeeding in a larger city like Cincinnati or Columbus better. Cincinnati at the old Cincinnati Gardens where the old Cincinnati Royals played is a better idea. The whole D-League doesn't work for me and I see why it is failing and not really accepted by many sports fans in any great numbers. D-League would be better with old NBA teams names and cities.

Like as example old NBA names Cincinnati Royals, Buffalo Braves, Baltimore Bullets, Kansas City Kings, and Pittsburgh Pipers, Virginia Squires, Spirits of St. Louis old ABA names as D-League franchises instead of this let's go to single a and double a cities to me in my opinion is failure and basically small time amateur hour. Use cities and old team names with build in name recognition for pro basketball that are use to paying major league prices. It worked for the Buffalo Bisons returning to the IL after years of out of the IL. Sorry but it is how I feel. You want D-League to be taken seriously and to have a larger following like IL baseball and AHL hockey get into major league and triple a cities not reaching down to single a and double a cities. Let's Go Buffalo
Last edited by Buffalo Super Fan on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
The above post is in my opinion and I have no proof or link. I am just a Buffalo sports fan.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Cincinnati has two major (power conference) college basketball teams, UC and Xavier. Even hockey struggles there. So would the D-League.

The D-League is trying to find markets where there isn't major college basketball. Hence Des Moines, Erie, Portland and perhaps Youngstown. Reno, Rio Grande Valley and Springfield fit the mold too. The weakest D-League team is in Alburquque, home of the University of New Mexico.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Xronia Polla Everybody! Ou-pah! Everyday is a party!

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:06 pm

[quote=""Buffalo Super Fan""]...D-League would be better with old NBA teams names and cities.

Like as example old NBA names Cincinnati Royals, Buffalo Braves, Baltimore Bullets, Kansas City Kings, and Pittsburgh Pipers, Virginia Squires, Spirits of St. Louis old ABA names as D-League franchises instead of this let's go to single a and double a cities to me in my opinion is failure and basically small time amateur hour...[/quote]

Some of those old names won't fly in today's era of political correctness. The Washington Wizards are the Wizards because too many people in the Washington/Baltimore area were being killed by bullets. Also, a new franchise calling themselves the Braves would pick up a lot of flak.

BTW, I became an honorary greek person over the weekend (which makes me proud). However, I won't be changing my user name to Ken, The Greek fan as it will not be politically correct. 8)

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:36 am

The Cav's are using the team as a developmental tool; therefore, I think their main concern for management is Youngstown's proximity to Cleveland(ie executives are more concerned with commute times then Youngstowns economic standing).
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

gatek99
Site Admin

Post by gatek99 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:28 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]I want to learn more about the flourishing suburbs of Youngstown, Ohio because National Public Radio points out something interesting about the county where Youngstown is located. Ohio City A Battleground For Obama's Economy Policy.

That's an awful lot of unemployed people in the Youngstown area. This article is a year old. Has the employment picture improved significantly? Also, could you post a link on those flourishing suburbs so I can understand better? When I read dirt cheapest housing market in the entire nation, I can only think depressed local economy.[/quote]

I could be really wrong on facts and figures. Downtown is a joke, but there are all kinds of houses going up in Mahoning County (Poland, Boardman, Canfield) including Million dollar homes. Someone just built a 3 Million dollar home in Canfield. The numbers could be horrible, but some of the suburbs are very nice right now. Once again the figures are probably horrible, but this area is packed with people at least.
Last edited by gatek99 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:24 pm

It was already noted and proved elsewhere that unemployments numbers have little bearing on attendance figures (see Rockford Icehogs). You put a quality product on and off the court along with affordable tickets, you have a fighting chance. People still want to be entertained. While a pro game might now be out of reach, the minors need to step up for a piece of the smaller dollar amount people are willing to spend. From the link posted you still have 84% with jobs.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:06 pm

[quote=""wasteland""]It was already noted and proved elsewhere that unemployments numbers have little bearing on attendance figures (see Rockford Icehogs)...[/quote]

Noted and proven that unemployment numbers have little bearing on attendance figures?!? Could YOU help me understand that concept better because it's contrary to everything I know and have heard about an economic downturn. The following seems more typical to me.
Major League Baseball still fighting the effects of recession
J.C. Bradbury, author of “The Baseball Economist: the Real Game Exposed” said that during a recession, fans might cut on expenses like minor league baseball.

“For a lot of these minor league teams that are in smaller towns where people just want to get the experience, it’s a cheap opportunity. My guess is that they scaled back on going to minor league games kind of like they scaled back on going to movies or going out to dinner,” Bradbury said.
People are cutting back on minor league attendance...and cutting back on going to movies and going out to dinner too. It's great that the IceHogs set an attendance record this season. I hope the bump had much to do with the parent team, Chicago Blackhawks being 2010 Stanley Cup champions. Rockford has been an established hockey town for years now...but what of Rockford's other minor league teams? What of Rockford's efforts to bring a D-League team to town during these times of tight credit?

[quote=""wasteland""]...From the link posted you still have 84% with jobs.[/quote]

Best example of circular logic I've seen in a long time. Yes, and if 8% are unemployed then you still have 92% with jobs. :|

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 pm

[quote=""bectond""]The Cav's are using the team as a developmental tool; therefore, I think their main concern for management is Youngstown's proximity to Cleveland(ie executives are more concerned with commute times then Youngstowns economic standing).[/quote]

Now you understand why I think the D-League will become nothing more than a series of taxi squads played in practice-type facilities. Money, or the lack thereof.

//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... ads&page=2

2007?!? Dang! I'm consistent.

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:34 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]People are cutting back on minor league attendance...[/quote]
Not really. Many teams and even entire leagues have actually seen attendance increases over the last few years. In general, the economy has had a much bigger impact on corporate sponsorships than on attendance.

Return to “D-League”