D-League coming to Maine

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:18 pm

This might be the link for Halifax to get in, since the Rainmen and PBL are having some problems.

Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:53 pm

I voted Beacons for name-the-team, because a lighthouse is on Maine's state quarter, plus my old high school newspaper (which yours truly wrote for) is called The Beacon (named after the Wind Point Lighthouse over here).

Interestingly, they didn't have any of the options be "Portland"...It's not like anybody's going to confuse them for the Blazers!
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

HKF
Site Admin

Post by HKF » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 am

Calling the team Maine is smart because it shows that it's the "State" pro basketball franchise. Utah does it with the flash and Idaho does it with the Stampede. I think in places without a known geographical identity [unlike say Fort Wayne, Austin], it makes sense to call it Maine.

I wonder if the new team is going to be Springfield, MA. It's looking like the league will focus on Harlem, Trenton and the Raptors franchise in Hamilton in 2010-11.

The 2011-12 season is going to bring Phil Evans [former D-League Prez] back to the league in Chesterfield, VA.

USBasket_EricE
Site Admin

Post by USBasket_EricE » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:44 am

Not sure if I should vote "Beacons" or "Destroyers". Both are great choices. "Beacons" is a little more unique, but I liked their reasoning behind the choice of "Destroyers". The "Red Claws" is an interesting idea...sorta reminds me of Fort Wayne's choice of "Mad Ants". Hopefully the team winds up with a name that their fans will like.

Return to “D-League”