2009-10 NBA Expansion

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
DakotaWiz
Site Admin

Post by DakotaWiz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:31 am

The principal owner is not the Knicks, they won't be owning a team. They have plans to buy their own team, so the hybrid wouldn't work, because that'd be a 3-year commitment. Closest they'll get is the same affiliation with Reno now, just closer.
Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

jjbballfan
Site Admin

Post by jjbballfan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 am

[quote=""bectond""]One can never be 100% sure, but I believe the Knicks are getting their own franchise and the Kings will share Bakersfield with GS. I don't believe the Bighorns will move east. They are averaging 3500 per night. The only teams that I know of which are looking to relocate are Charlotte, Memphis, New Orleans and Sacramento.
Simons did say that he has lost 20 mil per year for the last 4-5 years so who knows.[/quote]

The Grizzlies aren't moving any time soon, they are in 1 heck of a contract with the city... they can't leave for another 4 years, and after that they can only leave if tickets drop below a certain point, which the city has the option to buy up enough tickets to keep them above the point, and even if the team is sold the city has the option to find a local buyer to match the bid....

I've heard a rumor that the Bobcats/Blazers are working on something, where the owner of the Blazers (who owns the Seahawks) would sell the Blazers and buy the Bobcats and move the bobcats to Seattle.... or equivalent to...

Everybody thinks that the Bucks are going to move but I don't see it happening, as long as U.S. Senator Kohl owns the Bucks they are staying in Wisconsin....

New Orleans I think is stuck there for a few more years as I am pretty sure that they will surpass there ticket number this year... meaning that they have to stay for I think atleast 3 more years....

I have been surprised that Seattle is such a hot market or rumored to be one... Kansas City has a new Arena, Vegas has a nice arena.... both are pretty darn good markets....

Maybe Kansas City gets a D-League team to show that they can support basketball? sometime soon?

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:06 am

[quote=""DakotaWiz""]The principal owner is not the Knicks, they won't be owning a team. They have plans to buy their own team, so the hybrid wouldn't work, because that'd be a 3-year commitment. Closest they'll get is the same affiliation with Reno now, just closer.[/quote] The knicks hired coaches this off-season to be developmental coaches and they are not buying a team this year or engaging in a hybrid agreement? That is strange.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 am

[quote=""jjbballfan""]The Grizzlies aren't moving any time soon, they are in 1 heck of a contract with the city... they can't leave for another 4 years, and after that they can only leave if tickets drop below a certain point, which the city has the option to buy up enough tickets to keep them above the point, and even if the team is sold the city has the option to find a local buyer to match the bid....

I've heard a rumor that the Bobcats/Blazers are working on something, where the owner of the Blazers (who owns the Seahawks) would sell the Blazers and buy the Bobcats and move the bobcats to Seattle.... or equivalent to...

Everybody thinks that the Bucks are going to move but I don't see it happening, as long as U.S. Senator Kohl owns the Bucks they are staying in Wisconsin....

New Orleans I think is stuck there for a few more years as I am pretty sure that they will surpass there ticket number this year... meaning that they have to stay for I think atleast 3 more years....

I have been surprised that Seattle is such a hot market or rumored to be one... Kansas City has a new Arena, Vegas has a nice arena.... both are pretty darn good markets....

Maybe Kansas City gets a D-League team to show that they can support basketball? sometime soon?[/quote]

Sacramento and Memphis are in major trouble, the NBA took out a loan to help those teams make payroll. I'd expect one of those teams (along with Charlotte) to be the most likely to re-locate. New Orleans had an out clause this year but I believe the team exceeded the attendance requirements that triggered the out clause.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:22 pm

I'd like for New Orleans to keep the Hornets. You can also add Indiana to Memphis and Sacramento to potential movers--the Pacers are having trouble at the gate and are hemmoraging money as we speak.

As for Seattle being such a hot market--they should have never lost the Sonics in the first place for any reason. If they had an owner that actually cared for the city, then I think that the KeyArena issue would have been eventually solved. I expect to see the Sonics return in some form (Grizzlies, Kings, Bobcats, Pacers) soon.

I'd really hate to see the Kings, Bobcats, or Pacers leave, in any case.

Colonel
Site Admin

Post by Colonel » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 pm

I hope so --- but don't count on any help from Phoenix - all year long - I watched them sign players for 10 days -- then release them - and wait the 13 days that they could before they signed the 13th player ----I think the Suns are having some finanical issues also

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Skeptical of any notion that the Charlotte Bobcats would move when they have management rights to the arena... and Key Arena is managed by the city of Seattle. I think that's a joke of a rumor, frankly.

I know, Allen buys the Bobcats and dumps the Blazers. I'd actually welcome that under the current circumstances, as depending on the buyer, it would cement the stadium proposal here. However, whomever buys the Blazers has to buy the Rose Garden, or else nobody WILL buy. Who wants to give up $600 million or more for a small market team?
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “D-League”