2009-10 NBA Expansion

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:28 am

[quote=""stevemerk""]I am writing in regard to a future coaching position in the D-League. Possibly with an expansion team.

I have over twenty-five years coaching and administrative experience on the high school, college and professional levels. I have written and published numerous articles in Winning Hoops, Basketball Sense and Coach & Athletic Director magazines. I possess excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills along with the ability to relate effectively to a multitude of individuals from diverse backgrounds.

With my many years experience in basketball, I feel that I am more than qualified to lead a basketball franchise. Please feel free to contact me so we may discuss how I may benefit your team. If anyone has any D-League connections, I would appreciate hearing from you.[/quote]
Welcome to OSC...Good luck getting the job!

So, anybody have any word on potential D-League expansion for 2009-10?
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...

mrsummitcitypigskin
Site Admin

Post by mrsummitcitypigskin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:29 am

I've heard the D-League wants more Eastern & Midwest cities to get involved in the
conversations. They would like to add 2 to 4 more teams. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Knox-
ville, Quad Cities, Richmond, Evansville, and St.Louis have been mentioned.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Expansion levels are really going to increase now that the NBA has started the hybrid affilation program. Teams will pay a 400K fee each year to NBDL franchises to control the basketball operations (for Player, coaches and trainer salaries) The D-League should have 30 teams within the next three years. Expansion in Maine, NY, NJ, CT, VA, OH, CA,IL,FL,GA,TX, WY, Canada and the 2 inactive teams should bring the league up to a one for one relationship by the time the new CBA is in place.
Last edited by bectond on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Several teams will bail and the zero sum game will continue until they find a way to make these things come even close to being profitable.

The lies they told these owners to sell these teams off are coming home to roost a bit.

I still can't get a straight answer about southwest basketball's disappearance, which leads me to believe that the high powered group of investors involved there lost interest in this money losing experiment. And they had huge money to burn.

More expenses, more losses. I'm not advocating the IBL's approach either, but alot of these games are a bit like visiting a morgue and would be much better served in smaller buildings.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:29 pm

What zero sum are you referring to? The league has grow each year and NBA clubs will now pay for all NBDL basketball operations. Team owners will be able to hire more front office staffers, which will lead to increased ticket sales. Also more teams means less travel cost. The cost of doing business just got a lot cheaper. SW had a bad rep. with NBA front office types, therefore they would have had a hard time finding a NBA club to partner up with it is not that hard to understand why the T-birds were sold. The Suns did not want anything to do with them.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:38 pm

They gain a few, lose one, one moves, etc. How old is the oldest team in the league now?
Three years?

Stabilize that nonsense and then we talk about expansion working. Add to that the CRUSHING, CRUSHING losses these franchises are taking. And, yes it is LEAGUE WIDE. And the losses are HUGE.

Time will tell this off-season.

Btw, how long until Albuquerque is gone?

On five different occassions this year, I've counted less than 300 actual people in the building.

And considering that I don't pay, and no one I know in there is paying...who is paying to see this?

The Magician
Site Admin

Post by The Magician » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:52 pm

[quote=""bectond""]Expansion levels are really going to increase now that the NBA has started the hybrid affilation program. Teams will pay a 400K fee each year to NBDL franchises to control the basketball operations (for Player, coaches and trainer salaries) The D-League should have 30 teams within the next three years. Expansion in Maine, NY, NJ, CT, VA, OH, CA,IL,FL,GA,TX, WY, Canada and the 2 inactive teams should bring the league up to a one for one relationship by the time the new CBA is in place.[/quote]

Although Alabama lost both of their D-League teams, there may be some conversation started about establishing an All-Alabama basketball league or association, with one of the proposed focuses, to work very dilligently, to develop, the 4 major cities of Montgomery, Mobile, Huntsville and Birmingham into attractive D-League/Minor League markets.
Last edited by The Magician on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DakotaWiz
Site Admin

What

Post by DakotaWiz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:59 pm

skippy? What are you smoking? The oldest team is three years old? Sioux Falls has been around for 20 seasons, Dakota will be 15 next season, Idaho's been around for a long time. Tulsa, Austin, and referenced Albuquerque have all been around longer than 3 years.
I have no idea what you're arguing. Is the D-League suddenly unstable?
Ridiculousupside.com -- A (Mostly) D-League Site

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:50 pm

First of all, I'm not arguing. That isn't my intent. I don't smoke things, but here's a backhanded remark back at you: These teams don't thrive in areas where there is anything else to do. In Albuquerque, which Lord knows is not a thriving metropolis, the team only has 1/4 time beat writer for the Journal.

Sioux Falls, Idaho, etc were in the CBA for a long time, it has yet to be seen if they will continue to thrive in the D-league for the long term.

I don't believe the D-league is unstable, I believe that they sold people a bill of goods that they aren't delivering. I've had this directly quoted to me by multiple owners. "These teams will be worth something when there is one to one affiliation, we're just holding on till then." Meanwhile, they are losing their shirts.

What I'm stating is that I believe that they should continue to slowly expand, when necessary, not plop teams in markets that don't support them. (cough..Albuquerque, Tulsa, Austin.., hell most of em, where cow tipping isn't a sport...cough)

Make the teams you have successful first, then expand.

Let's remember history. Where are the original D-league teams?

So, let's stop drinking the NBA Kool-Aid and SEE what happens, given that they haven't proven themselves to be infallible in this venture.

I have some photos of the empty arena, 15 minutes before game time in Albuquerque...

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 am

Here ya go, here's a crowd fit for an 8,000 seat arena.

And btw, I don't dislike the D-league, it's the best there is, but let's stay in the realm of reality as to what it is. Will they show this to the Chamber of Commerce when they bring in the expansion presentation?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “D-League”