2009-10 NBA Expansion

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
panchess
Site Admin

It would help Albany no doubt..

Post by panchess » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:16 pm

..a lot of people at Patroons' games last season made comments like "they don't get the players anymore." They seem to know the D-League, and they know players.

Perfectably reasonable to keep playing and await an opportunity. That would explain in part the Patroons seeming lack of interest in the CBA Championship and their website, though lack of cash could too.

bdyer
Site Admin

Post by bdyer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:51 pm

[quote=""SignGuyDino""]Johnson does have that reputation for being a cheapskate, and he didn't invest well in his local TV venture (although his first one did very well).

This adds to the argument for having Charlotte as number 1 on the list. He's GOING to be forced by peer pressure to get a D-League team, as will every NBA team. Wilmington's best shot at getting in is a formal relationship with the PBL, or even the PBL being absorbed to the D-League (NOT implausible at all). The Jet really has done little as Commissioner, maybe this is why he was brought in?[/quote]I think if Jordan became a booster, it could help re-establish the D-League almost anywhere in NC.
Asheville is another logical argument if the Charlotte D-League team as the newer venue is slated to seat only 3,500-4,000, meaning rental can't be that bad and let's get real: The D-league isn't about attendance. I still don't see the argument for having teams in venues as big as the D-League has them except ego.
I agree with that for the most part. The NBA is paying the player salaries, and I think they should pay more to keep players in the states. The rest of the costs can get pretty ridiculous in huge venues, and there is often the complicating factor of losing prime dates to established hockey or football teams. The Vipers got off to a good start, but we'll have to see if they have staying power as the third tenant in the Dodge Arena. The Toros aren't even considering playing the same role in a new suburban arena.
WHEN Harlem gets their team it will be the most popular D-League team right away, especially for the players. Just too much history in Harlem.
Really looking forward to this one. It could be a watershed event in legitimizing the league in the public eye as well as expanding it eastward.
I just fear that, given how the D-fenders did so well helping the Lakers by playing all their home games at Staples, the D-league will end up like the MLS reserve league which basically plays all their games at their parent club's venue.
We'll have to see how they do in Ontario next season and beyond. I don't think Buss would mind losing some money on the D-fenders, just not a lot. Same with the Spurs and Toros.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:09 am

[quote=""DakotaWizardsFan""]They are not going to split the rivalry up like that. The Force and Wiz are going to stay in the same division no matter what I'm sure.[/quote]

Yeah, you're most likely right on that one, if the D-League goes with five team divisions:

Cedar Rapids
Des Moines
Omaha
Sioux Falls
Bismarck

But if they go with four team divisions then I doubt the NBA would split up Sioux Falls and Omaha (if they get a team). Bismarck would have to play in a Northern division. It all depends on if the league has a one to one affiliate set-up or not. If Minot switched leagues and Fargo got an expansion team would Sioux Falls continue as Dakota's top rival?
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Expansion on Hold?

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:51 am

I've heard that the league is putting a hold on expansion for either this or hext year. Is it true or not? What about any new cities? Anything talk going on out west as far as expansion? Some places I've thought about are: El Paso, TX; Wichita, KS; Colorado Springs, CO; Prescott, AZ; St. George, UT; Casper, WY.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri May 23, 2008 12:27 am

It just occured to me that the Jordan / Cuba Gooding commercials are an indication that Jordan doesn't sell the way he used to.

Something to think about.

As for the West: El Paso, UTEP. Wichita, Wichita State.

I might be leery of Colorado Springs (Air Force AND Colorado College) and St. George (Dixie State and, conceivably, in a warped way, Southern Utah), but not as much as the first two. Colorado Springs as the Nuggets' affiliate isn't the worst idea.

My thought, however... don't hold your breath. I hardly imagine Casper and Prescott (Did You Know: pronounced "presskit," not "presSCOTT") as basketball markets. Just a hunch. Even then- works better as part of a western league that Yakima wouldn't mind about right now, NOT as D-League cities.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Just a little Bump...

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:25 pm

I know that it may not be the best time to mention this, as the current cities are finalized for 2008-09 and things are starting up for the 2008-09 season, but have there been any mentions for 2009-10, now that we are closer?

TEN
Site Admin

Post by TEN » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:45 pm

Wichita will have a new downtown arena by next year...could be a good place for a d league team...

LandRoverUT60
Site Admin

Post by LandRoverUT60 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm

[quote=""TEN""]Wichita will have a new downtown arena by next year...could be a good place for a d league team...[/quote]

I like the idea of a team in Wichita. They need to look into that. What's the deal with Portland, ME?

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:41 pm

[quote=""TEN""]Wichita will have a new downtown arena by next year...could be a good place for a d league team...[/quote]

Given what most D-League games draw, a team in Wichita would be better off in Hartman Arena, which is going up across the street (I-135) from the Kansas Coliseum.

bectond
Site Admin

Post by bectond » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:18 am

Most of the western conference teams already have affiliates.
LAL - LA
LAC- Anaheim
G.S. - Bakersfield
Sacramento - Reno
Portland - Idaho
Minnesota - Sioux Falls
Denver - Colorado
Utah - Utah
Dallas- Frisco (Future)
San Antonio- Austin
Houston - Rio Grande
OKL. City - Tulsa

That leaves Phoenix, Memphis and New Orleans.

Albuquerque is currently serving Dallas and Miami, but the Thunderbirds could be a long term answer for - Memphis.

If Rockford, Cedar Rapids or Kansas City gets an expansion team Chicago would mostly likely switch to one of those cities. Then Phoenix would continue to use Des Moines, if not then I’d expect the league to expand into Arizona before expanding into Kansas.

The NBA could add another team in Texas for New Orleans, the CHL built a number of arenas in the state of Texas over the last five years that are well suited for the D-League. If not Texas, than somewhere else along the Gulf Coast.

I did hear Kansas City mentioned but not Wichita.

As for 2010 the League is expanding into the NE next - Portland, Trenton, Hartford and perhaps Halifax are next, with Hamilton, Toledo and Harlem later on.
Last edited by bectond on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basketball Junkie and Rummikub Champion

Return to “D-League”