Gary Steelheads

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:39 am

[quote=""MJHankel""]Also just a note, it appears that all the schedules are out except for the Las Vegas Stars and the Washington Raptors.[/quote]

I can't find the Washington Raptors on any of the other teams' schedules, so I imagine they have called it quits. It's not a suprise to me; they drew small crowds and played in a pretty podunk area.

Las Vegas, on the other hand, does appear on other schedules, so they should be good to go. One could probably piece together their schedule by looking at all the other teams.

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:45 am

[quote=""one way""]I am sure that they are a bunch of local players from the local YMCA. I am sure that they do not travel but are from the area of the IBL team, thus saving the team travel expenses. This system sums up what the IBL is all about, rec league at best. It is just a shame, the once proud Gary Steelheads have been reduced to this. Why would anyone buy a ticket to see this garbage.[/quote]

From my understanding, the IBL ranges in quallity from team to team. This primarily due to the fact that it is up to the ownership group to determine how much they want to put into their team. Some teams may play in rec centers while others play in arenas or large gyms. They do appear to be able to pull off seasons with minimal drama. Which will be nice after a crazy USBL season.

The Steelheads ownership will make their team the best possible, if other teams do not follow suit, than the Steelheads will be ahead of the game. It would appear that some teams like the Raptors or the Soldiers are a bit sub-par by professional standards. On the other hand there are teams like the Explosion and the Express that look good by most standards. Both the good and the not so good teams make their games. There are consistent rules throughout the league.

It seams that the IBL is all in what the franchises owners want to make it to be for their team. There are bare minimums that some franchises chose to operate at while others go above and beyond.

I will take this season at face value. I believe, at best, it will be, night and day, better than the USBL season last year. I do not claim to know everything in regards to this league but I am open to see how it goes. The highlights and games I have watched online from other IBL teams don't actually look half bad.

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:47 am

[quote=""besl""]I can't find the Washington Raptors on any of the other teams' schedules, so I imagine they have called it quits. It's not a suprise to me; they drew small crowds and played in a pretty podunk area.[/quote]

I hadn't noticed their absence from the other teams' schedules. I would agree from what I watched online, the Raptors were not the greatest operation.

bballnut
Site Admin

Post by bballnut » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:06 pm

Now that the schedule is out, I see Gary opens with Battle Creek. I have noticed reading these threads that Battle Creek does not get much respect. Even though Gary has played in the CBA and USBL, I hope we don't look down on some of these IBL teams. If I am not mistaken there coaching staff has much experience, and they have been one of the best teams in the league. I also understand they have outstanding ownership as well.

sportsnut2000
Site Admin

Post by sportsnut2000 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:48 pm

Has Gary signed any players yet for the upcoming season.

Mr Hurley
Site Admin

Post by Mr Hurley » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:25 am

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""]The Elkhart Express had a good run. Need I say more? :D
http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/08/02 ... 047ea5.txt

Duane Ticknor is back into professional coaching, but I don't know if NBADL coaches can do double duty. Another former Steelheads coach, Jaren Jackson, is available too.[/quote]

Last I look Mr Jackson was heading out west with the Mad Ants as thier coach. Not sure if he can coach both.Fort Wayne Mad Ants if you need to know

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:35 am

While it would have been hard, Jackson could have coached both teams. It is a moot point now though. The Steelheads already signed there coach for this season.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Assistant coach from last season is head coach this season

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Rob Spon, USBL Steelheads assistant coach will be the Steelheads IBL head coach.

The season starts March 14 and no one from the Steelheads organization has yet to ask me for a dime. What's up with that? I guess I'll call them today and ask what my damage will be.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bballnut
Site Admin

Post by bballnut » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:55 pm

There is no way Jaren could have coached both teams. He is a very smart man, and would not divide his time between teams. He is 100% into the Mad Ants, and that is where he needs to focus. You will see him coaching in the NBA in the near future.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:04 pm

[quote=""bballnut""]There is no way Jaren could have coached both teams. He is a very smart man, and would not divide his time between teams. He is 100% into the Mad Ants, and that is where he needs to focus. You will see him coaching in the NBA in the near future.[/quote]

Jaren Jackson is 100% into advancing his career--which is a good thing. While he coached Gary, he stressed several times that he did not want lifetime CBA players on his team (Ronnie Fields wouldn't make it as a Steelheads player). He only wanted players hungry to get to the next level--like himself.

Return to “IBL”