The new IBL owner is Vancouver Volcanoes owner also, reigning champions

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:37 pm

[quote=""Frank Mart""]I think the new IBL should be more regional. The traditional spring summer league should have franchises in Washington and Portland, while the winter IBL would have franchises in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. Thus are flushed the cost of flying by plane.
THE Lightninig franchises, Edmonton or Albany Legends Energy site would not have unfortunately.

IBL spring/summer
Bellingham Slam
Olympia Reign
Portland Chinooks
Vancouver Volcanoes
West Coast Hotshots
Yamhill Highflyers (return)
Yakima?
Tacoma Tide?

IBL winter
Battle Creek Knights
Lansing Capitals (Branding team)
Dayton Air Strikers
Gary Splash
Ohio Hidden gems (BT)
Holland Blast?
Kankakee County Soldiers

Misplaced
Edmonton Energy
Los Angeles Lightning
Albany Legends
Arizona Raptors (BT)
Florida Winning Days (BT)
Las Vegas Pride (BT)
New Jersey Titans (Expansion team)

Thanks[/quote]

I'm thinking that if the IBL shrinks to the Washington/Oregon area, Edmonton might be setting up for a Alberta/Saskatchewan league. Saskatoon and Calgary sound like they are getting IBL franchises for next year. So those teams and perhaps one in Red Deer and one in Regina, plus another location might be a workable league. At the very least, it does seem like Edmonton is trying to cut down on travel costs, while balancing out their home and road schedule.

Community 101
Site Admin

Kankakee/Gary Playoff

Post by Community 101 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Greeting's I know I'm new to this forum but wanted to post some updates;

The Kankakee and Gary team both could've gone to playoffs but decided that they would go a different route due to the future direction of it's franchises as wellas the IBL. The IBL playoffs have always been optional for teams but with the non-local game format this year the investment was not worth the reward. Both franchises have made decisions to build for a continued steady path of Community building through it's teams and are excited to about it's future.

The Kankakee County Soldiers will be a part of the newly announced Independent Basketball Association with several solid franchises who all agree to a business model best suited for long term survival for it's franchises. The new league has a little different approach as it's focus is not only on providing a platform for players to showcase there talents but also to educate them on there value to helping contribute to the communities they play in as well as looking for long term plans beyond Basketball.

The IBL has been tremendous in it's efforts of building Minor League Basketball and will be continuosly successful in that arena with it's new ownership. The Soldiers have appreciated being a part of that effort but are excited about the new path that awaits!

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:13 pm

What other teams will be joining Kankakee County in the new league?

Community 101
Site Admin

Teams Coming

Post by Community 101 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Teams to be announced are from:

Kankakee County
Battle Creek
Holland
Rockford
Gary
Lake County IL
Chicago

Markets considering include;

Ohio, Racine, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Elkhart

Press releases should follow in the next few weeks!

wasteland
Site Admin

Post by wasteland » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:21 pm

[quote=""Community 101""]Teams to be announced are from:

Kankakee County
Battle Creek
Holland
Rockford
Gary
Lake County IL
Chicago

Markets considering include;

Ohio, Racine, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Elkhart

Press releases should follow in the next few weeks![/quote]

Rockford huh? Would this be the previously announced Riverdawgs (horrible name) of the ABA or another team?

Frank Mart
Site Admin

Regional league

Post by Frank Mart » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:36 pm

New post on my blog about regional league and other isues:

http://frankmartminors.blogspot.com/201 ... model.html

Thanks
http://frankmartminors.blogspot.com/
Follow me twitter: franMartblog...

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:57 am

[quote=""not so fast""]
The PBL was talking with some of the IBL teams in the midwest.
[/quote]
...and aren't you glad they didn't listen?!? I know I am.

[quote=""wasteland""]Rockford huh? Would this be the previously announced Riverdawgs (horrible name) of the ABA or another team?[/quote]

Maybe this would be the Rockford D-League team that never materialized.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:40 am

[quote=""zeke41""]This goes to show you the poor strategic and organizational planning skills of some (maybe MOST is the better choice of words???) of the people that enter the minor league basketball world. It seems like every year teams join leagues (ABA, WBA, CBL, IBL, etc.), and when it's time to make that playoff trip that happens to be out of division, it doesn't happen. It can't happen. Not enough funds!
[/quote]

True enough. The IBL playoffs have been optional for as long as I can remember.

Zeke drives home a point though. If Gary and Kankakee actually had the funds (as suggested by Community 101) to send teams west to participate in the playoffs, then why deprive fans and players of that opportunity? Why not hold a special and less expensive post-season for only Kankakee, Gary, and the midwest branding teams at Gary's Genesis Center? Paying fans don't come out in full force in Gary until the playoffs anyway. They'll cheer and wave their terrible towels knowing darned well most of them haven't attended a game all season. :smile:

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:26 am

[quote=""zeke41""] Someone should hold a "MINOR LEAGUE BASKETBALL" convention/seminar, invite every owner of every existent team in any league, and have a real heart to heart about the future of this business. [/quote]

I sense that what's really needed is a guide holding hands through every single decision an average team makes. Seminars are only good for dawdling during the day and drinking at night, not to mention the 5-star hotel trying to soak everyone with jacked up prices for dining.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “IBL”