The new IBL owner is Vancouver Volcanoes owner also, reigning champions

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Frank Mart
Site Admin

The new IBL owner is Vancouver Volcanoes owner also, reigning champions

Post by Frank Mart » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Duilio leaves, Hunter arrives, what is the near future of the IBL?
Why not play the IBL play-offs Gary and Kankakee?

Thanks
http://frankmartminors.blogspot.com/
Follow me twitter: franMartblog...

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Gary didn't generate enough revenue to fly a team west for the playoffs. Maybe next year. 8)

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:54 am

IBL will be losing their midwest teams. It never really worked as well for them.

The PBL was talking with some of the IBL teams in the midwest.

We certainly need teams in some league here, we need minorleague basketball in the midwest no matter what the economy is like.

The IBL did a good job over all over the years trying to make it work though. Battle creek, holland, grand rapids, elkhart, were great franchises at one time or another.

And Gary and kankakee have been stellar franchises the past couple of years as well.

Frank Mart
Site Admin

Regional league

Post by Frank Mart » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:36 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]IBL will be losing their midwest teams. It never really worked as well for them.

The PBL was talking with some of the IBL teams in the midwest.

We certainly need teams in some league here, we need minorleague basketball in the midwest no matter what the economy is like.

The IBL did a good job over all over the years trying to make it work though. Battle creek, holland, grand rapids, elkhart, were great franchises at one time or another.

And Gary and kankakee have been stellar franchises the past couple of years as well.[/quote]

I think the new IBL should be more regional. The traditional spring summer league should have franchises in Washington and Portland, while the winter IBL would have franchises in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. Thus are flushed the cost of flying by plane.
THE Lightninig franchises, Edmonton or Albany Legends Energy site would not have unfortunately.

IBL spring/summer
Bellingham Slam
Olympia Reign
Portland Chinooks
Vancouver Volcanoes
West Coast Hotshots
Yamhill Highflyers (return)
Yakima?
Tacoma Tide?

IBL winter
Battle Creek Knights
Lansing Capitals (Branding team)
Dayton Air Strikers
Gary Splash
Ohio Hidden gems (BT)
Holland Blast?
Kankakee County Soldiers

Misplaced
Edmonton Energy
Los Angeles Lightning
Albany Legends
Arizona Raptors (BT)
Florida Winning Days (BT)
Las Vegas Pride (BT)
New Jersey Titans (Expansion team)

Thanks

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:13 pm

I know Kankakee County is leaving to start its own league.

Frank Mart
Site Admin

Soldiers out of IBL play-offs

Post by Frank Mart » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:13 pm

[quote=""preeths""]I know Kankakee County is leaving to start its own league.[/quote]

Does that have anything to do with their non-participation on the IBL playoffs?

Thanks

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:05 pm

[quote=""Frank Mart""]Does that have anything to do with their non-participation on the IBL playoffs?

Thanks[/quote]
Their goal is to start a league with lower travel costs, so my suspicion is that the new league and/or travel costs was the reason they didn't participate in the playoffs.

zeke41
Site Admin

Post by zeke41 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:16 am

This goes to show you the poor strategic and organizational planning skills of some (maybe MOST is the better choice of words???) of the people that enter the minor league basketball world. It seems like every year teams join leagues (ABA, WBA, CBL, IBL, etc.), and when it's time to make that playoff trip that happens to be out of division, it doesn't happen. It can't happen. Not enough funds!

Before our season started this year, we made sure we set aside money so we could afford go to the farthest opponent's venue (happened to be a toss up between Cary, Birmingham and Wilmington). We even set aside enough funds to bring our whole team!

Sometimes I just don't know if there are enough properly run teams to really make for a decently run league. I know that league leadership seems to be a problem, too. Someone should hold a "MINOR LEAGUE BASKETBALL" convention/seminar, invite every owner of every existent team in any league, and have a real heart to heart about the future of this business. Let's take off our gloves, regionalize all divisions, and right this ship...maybe make it so the league fee covers all playoff travel so we can actually have the opponents we are supposed to have.
http://www.thecrossoverbasketball.com
http://www.flighthoops.com
http://www.iamsecond.com

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

TChasePBL
Site Admin

Minor League Hoops

Post by TChasePBL » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Mark,

We often do not see eye to eye, but on this one, we are marching in step. You nailed it. Too many teams do not have the financial means to finish a season, much less make it through the playoffs. I think someone should have the kahunas to hold a meeting and do exactly as you said, invite every minor league team to attend (if they can't afford to come, that says enough). Heck, even invite the league leaders themselves. Would be interesting to have them in the same room! Somewhere along the way, we have missed the focus and like me, have jumped to another league hoping for greener grass. The greener grass just isn't there. Its time to "grow fresh grass" in minor league hoops, or just settle on mediocrity here and now. Curious to see where Mark's idea goes from here.

Tony

skippy
Site Admin

Post by skippy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm in.

Let's do it somewhere centralized, not Vegas, not California, not Florida.

Other than that I am open. Even if it's only 5 of us the first year, start somewhere...(which is what I think the problem is anyway, it went from empty high school gyms to empty arenas)

Return to “IBL”