Edmonton/Portland Game Tonight

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Edmonton/Portland Game Tonight

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:30 am

So I went to the Edmonton/Portland game here in Lloyd tonight. Decent crowd, the gym was mostly full. Of course by my estimation it holds roughly 200 people. It was entertaining once they found their stroke. However, seems like it took them about a quarter to get their feet under them. It was entertaining and a good game, but seems like the IBL (or at least these two teams) are a step below what I remember of the WBL and NBL I. Edmonton won 139-129, with game being as close as 1 and as far apart as 20.

One player stood out for me from Portland, Mac Hopson. He had 49 points and no fouls. Granted, the guy didn't seem to play a lot of defence, but he was the majority of the offense for the Chinooks. I heard someone mention in the crowd that he will be with Golden State next year. Has anyone else heard that?

Also, maybe I am confusing the IBL with another league, but I thought players don't foul out in this league. I thought after the 6th foul, any additional fouls added a free throw shot. So on a two point attempt, you'd get three shots and on a three point attempt you'd get a fourth shot. However, in this game one Chinook and one Energy player (Troy Gottselig) fouled out after 6 fouls.

Now there were two disappointing things about the game was that Portland only showed up with 7 players. The game program had a roster listed consisting of 10 players and 2 injured players. Is it normal for the visitors to travel with a short bench or did I happen to see an ABAish team in Portland? The other thing was they refs let the players play with their jerseys untucked. I remember at 11 years old that the rule was all jerseys had to be tucked in and was that way all the way along. Yet, here in this pro league they could play untucked? Looked way too sloppy and unprofessional to me.

I had never been to Lakeland College's gym before, but I remember the complaints back in the ABA days of Vermont with the short court. This one was definitely short, perhaps it was an optical illusion since the stands are set back about 25 feet from the sidelines. It seemed shorter than the high school courts I played on growing up. The floor had a dark area for the volleyball court and it extended from free throw line to free throw line. I assume it was a normal sized volleyball court. So how much shorter does it make the court?

All in all, I enjoyed the game and it was nice to see a high scoring, fast paced basketball game. I look forward to next season when Saskatoon joins the league and I will likely see more games.

Return to “IBL”