The new Lake County All*Stars

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

The new Lake County All*Stars

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Their initial game.

Jackson's 36 Lead Splash To Another Win

I must admit. This is the most competitive IBL All*Stars team I have seen...or is it more competitive because it is actually a branding team?!? Good talent though. The coach seemed a little too laid back--texting and checking email during halftime (and maybe during crucial points in the game). We're in an information NOW age though. 8)

Here's a pic from the game, Gary Genesis Center, April 21, 2011:
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buffal00 Sports Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffal00 Sports Fan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Cool pic. Nice looking arena. I counted approx. 150 fans in the picture. My guess is about 180 total at the game. Is that good or bad for an IBL opener?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:54 pm

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]Cool pic. Nice looking arena. I counted approx. 150 fans in the picture. My guess is about 180 total at the game. Is that good or bad for an IBL opener?[/quote]

This was the opening game for the Lake County All*Stars. I suspect this team originates in Lake County, Illinois because of the location of their laid-back coach. The opening game for the Gary Splash was the previous Sunday:
//www.oursportscentral.com/boards/ ... hp?t=18251
That game would have been considered a crowd of at least 3000 (IMO) with several hundreds lined-up at the limited amount of concession stands available.

If the game in THIS thread was an IBL home opener, then I would consider it a bad crowd especially since so many courtside fans were missing in action. The courtside fans are mainly friends and family of the players. However, most elected to watch the Chicago Bulls playoff game instead...and I'll leave it at that. :|

...well, not being one to leave it at that. Family and friends proved to be fair weather. The hardcore fans who were fans since the Gary Steelheads days were there though. These fans know about DVR. 8)

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 am

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]Cool pic. Nice looking arena. I counted approx. 150 fans in the picture. My guess is about 180 total at the game. Is that good or bad for an IBL opener?[/quote]

Thanks. I love photographs. Not only do they freeze a moment in history, but they also provide photographic evidence. The photographic evidence doesn't support your approximation. Also, the unseen red seats which can hold more fans than the blue seats were more crowded than Sunday's game. There were considerably more than 30 (150+30=180) fans in the red seats on Sunday. So there must have been considerably more than 30 at this game. See link in previous post then check out THAT pic or video (red seats seen).

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've been trained to observe minute details. There's another game at the Genesis Center Tuesday night (April 26th). Maybe there will only be 180 fans at THAT game. :smile:
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

Buffal00 Sports Fan
Site Admin

Post by Buffal00 Sports Fan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:30 am

I just counted every person in the photo you posted. Came up with 158. At most, maybe 250 people at that game.

I love basketball, thats a beautiful arena and you take great pics. I enjoy looking at them so please keep posting. Thanks again.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:47 pm

The game was well played and both teams did good. The Genesis is a great place to see a game.

I think the crowd was around 350, i was there at the game.

I talked to the coach , hes laid back because as you know, the teams work with volunteer coaches, which does not lead to a lot of practice time (in this case, the team had none). Also, the coach said some of the players just met for the first time that day, so its hard to do a lot of yelling and screaming when the guys have to get used to one another.

Finally ken, he said he was checking messages from his job at half time, but he did not use his phone in critical times during the game.

Also, I would not equate someone yelling and screaming all game as coaching anyway. Bruce weber does that for the illini and that is the most underachieving team in college basketball this past year.

And ken, I thought you were sitting away from your most lovely and gracious wife. Or were you just testing other seats?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:58 am

[quote=""Buffal00 Sports Fan""]I just counted every person in the photo you posted. Came up with 158. At most, maybe 250 people at that game.

I love basketball, thats a beautiful arena and you take great pics. I enjoy looking at them so please keep posting. Thanks again.[/quote]

I finally broke down and bought a better camera. That's why the pics look better...well, clearer.

Don't forget the concession stands. Everyone is out of sight up there waiting on their nachos...like me last night. My wait was at least 30 minutes. 8)

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:22 am

[quote=""not so fast""]The game was well played and both teams did good. The Genesis is a great place to see a game.

I think the crowd was around 350, i was there at the game.

I talked to the coach , hes laid back because as you know, the teams work with volunteer coaches, which does not lead to a lot of practice time (in this case, the team had none). Also, the coach said some of the players just met for the first time that day, so its hard to do a lot of yelling and screaming when the guys have to get used to one another.

Finally ken, he said he was checking messages from his job at half time, but he did not use his phone in critical times during the game.

Also, I would not equate someone yelling and screaming all game as coaching anyway. Bruce weber does that for the illini and that is the most underachieving team in college basketball this past year.

And ken, I thought you were sitting away from your most lovely and gracious wife. Or were you just testing other seats?[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with being laid back, I suppose.

If I wasn't in my regular seat, then I was somewhere growing old waiting on cheesy fries or some other junk item (no salads this season, bummer). Also, I criticize others but I was away from my seat for awhile watching the Bulls vs. Pacers in the Genesis Center bar area.
Last edited by Ken, Steelheads fan on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PaulD
Site Admin

Gary Splash

Post by PaulD » Sun May 22, 2011 11:36 pm

I have to agree that you have a nice venue in Gary. However is it too big for the crowds you are generating? I see the Splash games are better attended than the All Stars. But even at the Splash home opener one side of the arena looks quite empty. What is the capacity of your arena and what crowds are you averaging. Also the lack of concessions you mention is quite troubling.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Mon May 23, 2011 4:42 pm

The capacity of the Gary Genesis Center is approximately 7500 for basketball. The seating can be configured many ways and I agree, the current configuration makes the arena look too big for minor league basketball. I don't think the upper levels (brown seats) should be used, IMO.

The first Spring home stand, crowds seemed to average in the thousands. The team returned from a long road trip and now the crowds seem like only a few hundreds. I'm tardy posting THOSE pics, but I have fits of laziness (and will post a few of those pics soon). The red seats look REALLY empty in these newer pics--singing cricket city type empty. That's the side of the scoreboard/television cameras view, but there hasn't been any television (or scoreboard camera) lately.

Only two concession stands was awfully rough when the crowds were larger, but the lines are much shorter with only a few hundred in the house.

Return to “IBL”