Gary Southshore Splash

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Gary Southshore Splash

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:03 pm

My daughter called me from the Genesis Center a few minutes ago. She asked me if I had my season tickets for the new basketball team yet. I asked, what basketball team? She went on to explain that she was at the Genesis Center covering the announcement of Gary's new fall/winter team. She also said that the logo was great and everything seemed professional.

I then asked, what league? That's very important because of the joke leagues around. The IBL, she answered. Cool, a real league. I mean, this demonstrates how out of touch I am these days because I knew nothing, so I told her good looking out for me. She earned the cost of her tuition today...well, not really. She still needs to landscape my new yard or something when I move. Anything. Build me a stone patio maybe.

Yes, I can do season tickets on such short notice. Season starts December 12th. I have been looking for something to do this winter since the home team AAHL Chi-Town Shooters hockey franchise folded.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Maybe if I read the news every now and then then I would know something. This article Gary to get restaurant, minor-league basketball was in the local paper today.
Minor-league basketball is coming back to the Genesis Convention Center.

The arrival of the South Shore Splash will be announced today during a press conference in the re-branded Plaza One Bar & Bistro, John Key said, formerly known as the Red Ribbon Lounge.
The re-branding of the Genesis Center's Red Ribbon Lounge has been long overdue. It's been the Red Ribbon Lounge since opening in the early 80's.
J. Bradford, who will be the general manager and head coach of the Splash, said he expects his International Basketball League team will play its first home game Dec. 10 against the Battle Creek Knights. It'll kick off its winter season in late November, he said, and continue until mid-January.

a1sports
Site Admin

Horrible Business model, right ken?

Post by a1sports » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 pm

4 teams, bad move
Wednesday night games , bad move
Short short schedule. bad move
Team names, no identity, south shore what? Miami beach?
Talent, sub par, bad move.

IBL has to have the worst business model out there, who would support such trash? Oh ken there you are....!! This business model ken approves of....LOL

robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

[quote=""Ken, Steelheads fan""] I have been looking for something to do this winter since the home team AAHL Chi-Town Shooters hockey franchise folded.[/quote]

Off-topic, but... there's AAHL hockey in Dyer this season... the West Michigan Blizzard moved to Dyer just before the start of the season, and are playing as the Indiana Blizzard. Opening night at the Midwest TIC is Saturday.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:28 am

[quote=""robster2001""]Off-topic, but... there's AAHL hockey in Dyer this season... the West Michigan Blizzard moved to Dyer just before the start of the season, and are playing as the Indiana Blizzard. Opening night at the Midwest TIC is Saturday.[/quote]
How am I missing all this news?!? My brain must be turning to mush. Thanks for the heads up, robster2001.

[quote=""a1sports""]4 teams, bad move

IBL has to have the worst business model out there, who would support such trash? Oh ken there you are....!! This business model ken approves of....LOL[/quote]

Well, my mind hasn't turned COMPLETELY to mush. How many teams do you think are needed for a sixteen game season where all teams are located on or around Lake Michigan? Four should be fine, don't you agree?

As far as Wednesdays are concerned, I don't know about the other places, but Wednesdays are a huge night for the Genesis Center's lounge. Apparently, the new Genesis Center management is going to tie the Wednesday night afterwork set with basketball.

Southshore what?!? Everybody on the southshore of Lake Michigan can identify. Gary Southshore Railcats, South Shore and South Bend Intercity Railroad, South Shore country club...well that's in Chicago, but you get the point.

Talent? Battle Creek reached the PBL championship, but were getting blown-out with almost the same talent in the IBL. You tell me.

[quote=""a1sports""]
IBL has to have the worst business model out there, who would support such trash? Oh ken there you are....!! This business model ken approves of....LOL[/quote]

...and all this time I thought it was the PBL. Let's forget about Patrick Dempsey for awhile because that tree is never going to bear fruit. What about Lilia Clemente? Has she raised the million bucks for PBL expansion in China yet?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:57 pm

My daughter likes the logo, but she's new age. I'm old school and am accustomed to a big angry fish logo. This logo is serviceable though.

More information about the South Shore Splash from the other local paper. Former prep stars hope to make a 'Splash' in the region
Guard Robert Eldridge, a Wirt grad who played briefly at Wright State University and then Florida Central, was thrilled to be back in the region.

"I went to Australia to play (professionally) and to be back home and to play in front of my friends and family, to be associated with guys I've grown up with, is a great opportunity for me," Eldridge said.

time out
Site Admin

Post by time out » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:38 pm

[quote=""a1sports""]4 teams, bad move

You are just upset that a league survives by being honest and having integrity in their operations. The IBL operates on the realistic premise of what supply and demand is for minor league basketball in this country. They don't survive on deceptions like a fake draft, china, revenue sharing, etc..

misenern
Site Admin

Post by misenern » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:05 am

Will Gary support two teams when the Steelheads come back from taking a year off?

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:39 am

[quote=""misenern""]Will Gary support two teams when the Steelheads come back from taking a year off?[/quote]
The Steelheads would be foolish to come back to an economy that is even worse than the economy that helped drive them away. The Steelheads would be even more foolish to return to a worsening economy AND a market that already has a minor league basketball team.

misenern,
Is it safe to assume the city of Halifax has not been significantly affected by the worldwide economic crisis...yet (according to some of the posts I've read)? The rest of western culture is being hit hard. David Stern recently asked for a 33% player pay cut,
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16401924. You can expect further drastic steps in all major and minor leagues, IMO. We're going through a downturn no one (under the age of 90?) has seen before.

BTW, my sarcasm filter is in working order. I caught your post. :wink:

a1sports
Site Admin

Post by a1sports » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:38 am

thats why the IBL was begging the PBL to buy them this summer. When your not in the loop it bothers you coach sayer ( time -out). It bothers you like it bothers little sammy hill.

Return to “IBL”