Sad day in Gary, and in Minorleague Bball

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
not so fast
Site Admin

Sad day in Gary, and in Minorleague Bball

Post by not so fast » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:37 pm

After reading the article on jewell harris Sr., it now explains all the problems with the stealheads this season in the ibl.

I am truly saddened for the family of Jewell harris, this must be a very difficult time for them.

I know some will say you get what you deserve when you do wrong, but I can't help but feel bad for people who I have met, and who was always genuinely nice.

Greed is not a good thing, and it traps many people. one thing is certain, that will be the end of the Gary Stealheads as we know it.

What a great facility, and I think there are a lot of good people in the Gary Area that truly love basketball, hopefully one day there will be a true good ownership group there, that will give them a quality product run by quality people!

Elkhart_Fan
Site Admin

Post by Elkhart_Fan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:49 pm

OK, I'll ask for all of us that aren't from Gary ---- what are you talking about?

MJHankel
Site Admin

Post by MJHankel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:21 am

Jewell Harris Sr., former Steelheads owner (when they were in the CBA) and father of Jewell Harris Jr. (president of current ownership group) was indicted and sentenced to 71 months in prison for fraud related to his trucking company (double billing the city).

http://www.post-trib.com/news/1084598,harris.article

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:35 pm

And this does beg the question, did this case have an effect on why the Gary players were not paid? Not only players, but staff that worked for them, there were reported that players and staff were going to stop working if they did not get their checks throughout the sason this spring/summer?

At least the PBL stepped in and tried to keep the players paid when they had problems with teams, but where was dulio? I think this league needs to start looking at what its real purpose is, because I surely don't know..

When the IBL 1st started, it semed to have great potential, and a unique concept, but now its becoming the summer version of the aba, and thats a shame.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:29 pm

[quote=""not so fast""]After reading the article on jewell harris Sr., it now explains all the problems with the stealheads this season in the ibl.

I am truly saddened for the family of Jewell harris, this must be a very difficult time for them.

I know some will say you get what you deserve when you do wrong, but I can't help but feel bad for people who I have met, and who was always genuinely nice.

Greed is not a good thing, and it traps many people. one thing is certain, that will be the end of the Gary Stealheads as we know it.

What a great facility, and I think there are a lot of good people in the Gary Area that truly love basketball, hopefully one day there will be a true good ownership group there, that will give them a quality product run by quality people![/quote]

No, it doesn't explain all the problems the IBL Steelheads had. Not even close. Jewell Harris, Sr. owned the CBA Steelheads and had nothing to do with the IBL Steelheads.
...one thing is certain, that will be the end of the Gary Stealheads as we know it.
Huh?!?

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:12 pm

It seems to me ken that jewell harris jr. who may be a stand up guy, certainly was at his father side the whole time during his tenure as owner. i am not sure how potential sponsors, or citizens, are going to be able to seperate themselves from each other.

It may be unfair, but its also reailty.

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:31 am

[quote=""not so fast""]It seems to me ken that jewell harris jr. who may be a stand up guy, certainly was at his father side the whole time during his tenure as owner. i am not sure how potential sponsors, or citizens, are going to be able to seperate themselves from each other.

It may be unfair, but its also reailty.[/quote]

I agree. Some people can't distinguish Senior from Junior, however the IBL Steelheads' problems went far beyond that. Like some in the ownership group offering little more than lip service since day one. That large of an ownership group should be able to find family and friends to at least occupy the corporate tables EVERY game.

Return to “IBL”