...the Explosion look to be back with the IBL??

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
runninref
Site Admin

Post by runninref » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 am

Like it or not, the IBL is the only game in town come spring ball. No, I do not count the WBA. Yes it has tallent, however the structure of the league leaves a little to be desired. There is no USBL. I guess you could count NBA summer ball, but from my perspective that doesn't count as minor league. Dulio is a business man. He apparently is doing something right otherwise his league wouldn't have staying power. So my hat is off to him for that. My only beef with Dulio is the very low pay officials receive when compared to other leagues. Yes, the game is fast paced and typically lasts two hours, however the pay is dismal from an officiating perspective. Most of you guys on this board could care less about that, I'm sure. :mrgreen:

winds55
Site Admin

Post by winds55 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:02 am

Most of you guys on this board could care less about that, I'm sure.
You get PAID to hang out with the hometown heroes the rest of us are so honored to talk to just enough to ask for an autograph? Wow, what a job! :)

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:40 pm

"Staying power" has to be established for a lot longer than four years.

Moreover, given the format of the league, having Edmonton in with a bunch of Washington teams bleeds money. Having a division of Portland, Central Oregon, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles at this level bleeds money. Hearing a "shut up and color" message from Duilio and mentioned by multiple sources here does not breed confidence. It all makes next year look rather bleak.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:39 pm

[quote=""winds55""]assumed may be the key word here. You guys keep this stuff up, I won't have to spend 8 bucks for the X-files movie.

If you have facts, spill 'em. If not - it's pure conjecture and all the anti-dulio, anti-IBL rantings come across as personal vendettas.[/quote]

Exactly. Thank you, not so fast, for confirming you have absolutely no facts, only assumptions. That says a lot.

bballnut14
Site Admin

Post by bballnut14 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:05 pm

I understand Battle Creek is out. They are moving to the PBL. Gary, Elgin and now Battle Creek. You know something is not right, when Battle Creek one of the more stable organization is moving. What is Elkhart going to do. I think Chicago is even thinking about the PBL. Has Mike talked with Battle Creek to see why they are leaving.

I really did think this league was the real deal. From what I heard nobody from the league office even came out east during the season. Not even during the play offs. With out having face to face comunication with your owners, there is no league that will be successful.

I am sad to see Battle Creek leaving. I wish them the best of luck. They have great ownership. I really like there new coach as well. He has time for everybody. You can tell he has a passion for youth, and I like the way he teaches his players to care about there fans. Especially the kids.

Good Luck Battle Creek we will miss you.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:00 pm

//www.oursportscentral.com/service ... id=3692898

Battle Creek has officially left for the PBL.

not so fast
Site Admin

Post by not so fast » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:28 pm

Unless dulio addresses the questions about the finances and the lack of support from the commissioners office, and a just a general concern for the league improving, you will see more teams leave. Chicago, and Holland may be next.

The owners of this league are meeting without dulio, which is a serious red flag!!

The people that run Battle Creek, are some of the best people, in all of minorleague basketball!! This is a big blow to the ibl, and a big pickup for the PBL!

I am trying to inform you that the concerns I have, are not just me crying wolf. There are other owners in this league who have the same concerns, and even more, and dulio has not answered.

I have no ax to grind, I met him only once, he was polite , and he treated one of my players at the all star game great back then. I think he just has gotten comfortable, and has no need to put in extra work, as long as he is making his money. The questions is, are teams going to sit around and allow him to get away with it? Thank God, Battle Creek and others are saying NO!

bballnut14
Site Admin

Post by bballnut14 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:50 pm

I am new to this but, "Not So Fast" apears to know what he is talking about. You can tell it is someone that talks with experience. Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoy in-put from all sides.

Elkhart_Fan
Site Admin

Post by Elkhart_Fan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:04 pm

You'all might not like how "not so fast" comes across -- but I think he's more correct than you'll care to admit.

I can tell you this -- what he's sayin might not be politically correct, but there is more truth to it than one might know. I've heard these same rumblings from teams in the East for some time now, and you have to wonder if the Battle Creek switch is the first domino to fall?

A great question as been asked.....what about Elkhart?

Duilio had a great concept, and I agree that he got lazy and greedy. There are several business-savvy and awesome business minds like D. Beathea in this league, and they don't need the crap that Duilio has been spreading for the last few seasons.

Let the crazy off season officially begin....

winds55
Site Admin

Post by winds55 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:36 am

The PBL may work for Battle Creek, but it won't work for Elkhart.

1. Too much competition from high school basketball (the Express draws from two Elkhart High Schools, Concord, Goshen, Northridge and Northwood - all with tremendous fan backing) - this IS Hoosier Hysteria country, you know.
2. Potential of too much competition from college basketball - Notre Dame men's and women's teams have a fairly strong fan base that gets more rabid when they're winning. Plus Indiana and Purdue on TV if not in person
3. No place to play - both Elkhart Schools play at North Side.

Plan C?

Return to “IBL”