2008 IBL All*Star Game

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

2008 IBL All*Star Game

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:25 pm

The Gary Steelheads play the next day, June 13th too, but...
http://www.etruth.com/Know/Sports/Story.aspx?ID=452091
"The games that count are the games that matter," Beathea said. "We're trying to win a championship, and on the 12th, we need to be getting ready for the 13th."
I hope this is more inspirational material. 8)

winds55
Site Admin

Post by winds55 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:28 am

The Gary Steelheads play the next day, June 13th too, but...
Yes, but do they play the 11th, 14th and 15th also??

I'm disappointed there will be no current Express players at the All-Star game, but I understand Coach's viewpoint. I still plan to be at the game, though. Will I get booed or banned if I wear an Express shirt? :-)

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:21 am

[quote=""winds55""]Yes, but do they play the 11th, 14th and 15th also??

I'm disappointed there will be no current Express players at the All-Star game, but I understand Coach's viewpoint. I still plan to be at the game, though. Will I get booed or banned if I wear an Express shirt? :-) [/quote]

I'm disappointed too because there are bound to be some scouts in attendance and I personally would like to see the Express all*stars play. Oh well.

No, you won't get booed of banned if you wear an Express shirt. Gary is a very friendly city (as you may have noticed on your other trips to the Genesis Center). Much friendlier than Indianapolis. Almost as friendly as Pittsburgh. Must be all the nearby steel mills.

homeboypla
Site Admin

The REAL All -Star game is the North South Game

Post by homeboypla » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:01 pm

Seems the IBL has two ALL-Star Games? After talking with the Explosion GM yesturday in Portland the East West game is not the official game. I guess there was supose to be players from other teams in the West that were told to skip this event and just go to the North South Event???

I am really confused with the IBL this year and talking with the previous owner of the Portland team yesturday the IBL (I guess the league is running Portland this year not an owner) is really messing up on things and just telling teams and owners to like the IBL (spring league of the ABA) our get out.

winds55
Site Admin

Some links, please

Post by winds55 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:13 pm

[quote=""homeboypla""]Seems the IBL has two ALL-Star Games? After talking with the Explosion GM yesturday in Portland the East West game is not the official game. I guess there was supose to be players from other teams in the West that were told to skip this event and just go to the North South Event???

I am really confused with the IBL this year and talking with the previous owner of the Portland team yesturday the IBL (I guess the league is running Portland this year not an owner) is really messing up on things and just telling teams and owners to like the IBL (spring league of the ABA) our get out.[/quote]

Do you have any kind of documentation on this at all? Links to newspaper articles? Any kind of website advertising this North South event? (North and South of what? The US/Canadian border? Mason/Dixon line?) Surely with all your connections you can post some kind of link for verification. The IBL website mentions only the game in Gary - unless you're referring to the "Best of the Best" game being played in conjunction with the West championship game - which isn't news, it's been part of that championship game series when it was first announced.

besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:24 am

[quote=""winds55""]Do you have any kind of documentation on this at all? Links to newspaper articles? Any kind of website advertising this North South event? (North and South of what? The US/Canadian border? Mason/Dixon line?) Surely with all your connections you can post some kind of link for verification. The IBL website mentions only the game in Gary - unless you're referring to the "Best of the Best" game being played in conjunction with the West championship game - which isn't news, it's been part of that championship game series when it was first announced.[/quote]

I think what he is referring to is indeed the "Best of the Best" game -- which really should be called the "Best of the Rest in the West". It's only going to feature players from the Western Conference, and I wonder how many players are actually going to participate since those playing in the championship game are of course going to sit out, and teams that were eliminated in the quarter- or semi-finals might already be headed home.

Official or not, I think the All-Star Game in Gary on Thursday is going to be the best individual player showcase this season.

homeboypla
Site Admin

Best of the BEst is changed to the North and South All Star Game

Post by homeboypla » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:57 pm

I was just checking with Brad of the Explosion and he informed me that since most of the team on the West Coast have gams Friday most teams are not sending out All Stars with the best team in the League on the East side not sending All Stars is this really an All Star game or a Best of whoever can make it?

Tacoma and my boys are playing Friday in a pivital game for the Explosion and they are sending 0 people? I wonder if Bellingham losses a game this weekend trying to go coast to coast would be interesting if they do.

I would much rather see the best players in an 8-10 team tournament play in an All-Star Game then seeing a few stars play a game with no true superstars.

I guess the Chill can send there best of the current loosing road team to the game but this is not an All Star game with 80% of the stars no going.

Here is the West Division All Stars not making the trip.. PS the best player from Bellingham Tyler Amaee is not making the trip and is the only thing that scares me against my boyz the Explosion.

David Lucas - Portland
Kenny Tate - Portland
Larry Smith - Portland
Dante Harris - Tacoma
Justin James - Everett
Donald Watts - Everett
Jamell Miller - Everett
Alex Hartman - Vancouver
Porter Troupe - Vancouver
Kevin Bloodsaw - Vancouver
Jalonta Martin or Cliff White - Hotshots
Lorenzo Rollings - Tacoma

O-- and let me say on the East Coast the five starters for Elkhart should be there also and no one is showing up...

This middle of the season all star game is a cime and should be called the best of whoever could show up and doesn't affect regurlar season standings... I would laugh to see belingham loose a game or two because they fly out to this game.

You want to see the best of the West come out to the North South game during the playoffs.. You want to see the best of the East go to an Elkhart vs Gary game... Enough said...

besl
Site Admin

Post by besl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 pm

[quote=""homeboypla""]This middle of the season all star game is a cime and should be called the best of whoever could show up and doesn't affect regurlar season standings... I would laugh to see belingham loose a game or two because they fly out to this game.
[/quote]

Aren't All-Star games supposed to be in the middle of the season? Putting it at the end of the season after the champion has already been crowned makes it kind of irrelevant (like the Pro Bowl).

What the IBL should have done when they were making the schedules is set aside a weekend during the season when no teams were playing just for the All-Star game.

I think what it really comes down to is most teams are too cheap to actually send their players to the game, because we've already determined that the regular season is meaningless in this league, right? Supposedly 16 out of 17 teams are going to make the playoffs, so records really don't matter unless you're that awful, awful Chinese team struggling for a playoff spot.

Elkhart_Fan
Site Admin

Post by Elkhart_Fan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:33 pm

As a fan, my disappointment in the IBL is that things aren't ever set in stone. It seems that every time you turn around the Commissioner is changing his mind on something, like last years playoff debacle. The schedule for this year is horrible, and this is just another example of that. I love the Express, and see many great athletes that come into Elkhart. I just wished the IBL front office would get their act together and start running this league the way it should be run.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:18 pm

I regard that comment as a bit of confirmation of a suspicion. It's now coming from both ends of the map.

Dulilo is slipping. He's losing his touch... and maybe some control, perhaps by trying to grab more of it.

Something's not right here.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Return to “IBL”